Author Topic: Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?  (Read 11490 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 10:52:52 am »
I was reading another thread, where one of our users went to see a personal appearance of Annie Proulx, and when Brokeback Mountain was mentioned to Annie, she said "that she would like to distance herself from Brokeback Mountain"......

Katie,

Can you post a link to where Annie said this?  I can see that she might want to move on in the sense of writing new things.  And from what I understand, she is private and a bit shy, so the fame and notoriety that came along with Brokeback may make her uncomfortable.  The idea of 'distancing' herself, though, sounds a bit unappreciative, so I'd like to read the whole piece to see it in context.

-Lynne

P.S.  The 'merge' option is a moderator-only function, so you didn't do anything wrong!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 11:30:26 am »
Lynne, I was quoting from a thread which is in the same forum as this one, I met Annie Proulx tonight 9/12/06

Maybe you can ask more about it there......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 12:27:01 pm »
I had not read anything by Annie Proulx before "Brokeback Mountain".  I have yet to read any of her novels and have so far just stuck with her short stories which I really enjoy.  I've read "Bad Dirt 2" and "Close Range" and thought both were a very unique compilation of stories.

As for distancing herself ... I don't know????  Perhaps what she said is not what she intended to say.  Or maybe she really is willing to pickup and never look back, I can't see how ... but then again I'm not her either.  I'll have to take a look at that thread!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 12:42:06 pm »
Lynne, I was quoting from a thread which is in the same forum as this one, I met Annie Proulx tonight 9/12/06

Maybe you can ask more about it there......

Didn't even get that right....that thread is actually in the Chez Tremblay forum  and called "We met Annie Proulx tonight 9/12/06"

Wouldnt even try to work out how to post the link, I think I've done enough messing up here tonight as it is.....

moremojo

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 01:38:56 pm »
Here's the direct link to the thread initiated by meryl on Chez Tremblay:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4387.0

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 01:47:29 pm »
My first introduction to Proulx was in April 1996, my sisiter was reading it while we travelled on a trail in Ireland, she would just bust out laughing from time to time. She lent me the book when we returned and I thourghly enjoyed it.

Later on, maybe 1998, I was in a bookstore and saw Close range and picted it up, remmeber looking at the picture of her and thinking "wow, this is about Wyoming, I thought she lived in Newfoundland". I had Brokeback Mountain in my hand and did not know it existed until the movie came out. When I heard on NPR it was based on a story by Annie Proulx I said: "WTF!"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 02:05:12 pm »
Shakes....that is amazing...that you crossed paths with Brokeback Mountain, long before all the hoo haa about it....I bet you remember that moment now, and wonder how you would have felt back then if you had read it.....

I have this picture of you back then, looking at the book, and shrugging your shoulders and putting it back on the shelf.....its a wonder a little voice didnt call out to you from the pages....."read me, read me".....guess it didnt.....

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 09:28:39 pm »
Yeah, that little voice was saying: "You need to read more" That was about the time the internet came into my life and that took up a lot of my attention span.

My mind had a mental image of Annie Proulx that was firmly ensconced in New Foundland and I was too narrow to make the leap to Wyoming, is the long and short of it.

I have often wondered if I had read it back then. I think the language would have overwelmed me. My regret is that I was so out of tune with the gay world at the time I think I would have if I'd heard a buzz about it.

And I miss stuff like that every day, is the sad part. We all do. I am finishing up Heart Songs now, and that will be all the published material on her I have been able to find. I have read all her books now, in about 10 months. Like we used to say back in the 70's: "Its outta site!"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 11:56:10 am »
I was reading another thread, where one of our users went to see a personal appearance of Annie Proulx, and when Brokeback Mountain was mentioned to Annie, she said "that she would like to distance herself from Brokeback Mountain"......

I am really peeved by that, because I think she is probably only as popular as she is today because of Brokeback, and the publicity that came with the movie, and I think she should be still prepared to talk about it, especially to Brokies who go to her appearances.....

On one level, I can understand that as she might feel that this one work is going to overshadow her other stories - as it almost certainly will.

But on another, it puts me in mind of popular musicians who, in concert, are hellbent on playing their newest stuff at the expense of the pieces that a high percentage of the audience came to see. They always seem to think that this will work, and it never does.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 10:34:54 am »
I hadn't heard of Annie Proulx before Brokeback, but after reading Brokeback, I've read a number of her books.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!