Author Topic: Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?  (Read 11440 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 01:22:32 pm »
Another reason I am a fan of Annie Proulx is because she worked as a journalist early in her career, and started writing fiction after the age of 50, so she was a "late bloomer" which gives me hope that I might be able to write passable fiction at one point too.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 01:55:40 pm »
Off topic, but funny.

I read the title here (too quickly) as "who's afraid of Annie Proulx"?

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 01:58:01 pm »
Understandable, since Virginia Woolf was an author in the same league as Annie Proulx.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 02:42:51 pm »

I read the title here (too quickly) as "who's afraid of Annie Proulx"?

well, tell you what, I wouldn´t wanna mess with Annie.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 02:45:56 pm »
well, tell you what, I wouldn´t wanna mess with Annie.

Me, neither!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 07:35:23 pm »
   I admire her masterpiece, Brokeback Mountain.  The rest of her stuff is too depressing for me, and I dont think
it had the same kind of impact, or relativity of BBM.
   As a person, I fine her highly egotistical and very self obsorbed.  She has too little common feeling.  I feel that a
great deal of her stuff is written for shock value, and to give the ability for her to look down her nose at others.  If
they say anything that she disagrees with, she has a hissy fit.
   I particularly felt ill at her for her statement that she would like for that plane to crash, and then the final straw....
"I wish I had never written Brokeback Mountain." 

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:11 pm »
I can understand your point of view, particularly if you are reading these small "soundbites" and making a judgment of Annie Proulx by them. But, how would you feel if a pilot who is probably a right wing extremist radical was constantly flying round and round your house at a low altitude, snooping and perhaps taking pictures? This was what was happening to AP. (She was eventually forced to give up living in Wyoming and is currently living near Albuquerque.) And it's clear from her in-person statements that AP was proud of the story and its message, and only became disenchanted after the story was twisted by extremist groups and made into a political argument. As well, she was forced to hire legal help to go after those who cavalierly stole her intellectual property, exploiting all her work and research merely to portray Ennis and Jack as something silly like astronauts or prison inmates. Or even to slander the character of Ennis by portraying him as a sadistic drunk! Yes, like her characters, AP is sometimes rash and emotional in her outbursts. But she is an artist. She is not concerned with keeping her fan base (the very term is anathema to her) happy.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 08:05:35 pm »
I can understand your point of view, particularly if you are reading these small "soundbites" and making a judgment of Annie Proulx by them. But, how would you feel if a pilot who is probably a right wing extremist radical was constantly flying round and round your house at a low altitude, snooping and perhaps taking pictures? This was what was happening to AP. (She was eventually forced to give up living in Wyoming and is currently living near Albuquerque.) And it's clear from her in-person statements that AP was proud of the story and its message, and only became disenchanted after the story was twisted by extremist groups and made into a political argument. As well, she was forced to hire legal help to go after those who cavalierly stole her intellectual property, exploiting all her work and research merely to portray Ennis and Jack as something silly like astronauts or prison inmates. Or even to slander the character of Ennis by portraying him as a sadistic drunk! Yes, like her characters, AP is sometimes rash and emotional in her outbursts. But she is an artist. She is not concerned with keeping her fan base (the very term is anathema to her) happy.
I´m not gonna get into the whole fan fic discussion again, but as soon as a story finds its way to readers, they will interpret the story in their own way. A writer has no power over that.
If people then chose to put those interpretations into words on paper, I don´t think it´s anything silly or wrong about it. It´s people trying to express themselves. I doubt that their intent is to "slander" anyone, but rather to share their feelings with others. On the contrary, I find it quite admirable.

But let be...let be.

Regarding Annie Proulx, I admire her for her writing, and also that she doesn´t seem too concerned about pleasing her readers. I think that´s part of what makes her such an original writer.
I prefer her short stories to her novels. I think her very economical style fits that format better. I´m reading "Heart songs" at the moment and am enjoying it very much.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 10:02:52 pm »
But, how would you feel if a pilot who is probably a right wing extremist radical was constantly flying round and round your house at a low altitude, snooping and perhaps taking pictures? This was what was happening to AP.

:o  I'd never heard about that. That must have been awful. I wouldn't have blamed her if she'd taken a shot at him.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 10:34:36 pm »
If you listen to the BBC radio interview with AP, the airplane appears about one-third of the way through it.