Author Topic: Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?  (Read 11310 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 11:46:58 am »
I've rad the "Shipping News" and all of "Close Range" and I am not a fan of Ms. Proulx's, Brokeback Mountain aside.

I can see she's a good author, and imaginative, and steeped in the non-glamorous tough culture of gritty everyday country life and ditto realism. But she writes in an author voice and manner that I dislike - she conjures up the most terrible situations and fates for her characters, and the most horrific personalities, and looks at it all in a cool, superior and detached manner. No compassion, no involvement. (I think Brokeback is the one notable exception to this rule, and that is what makes it so emotionally devastating while all the other stories are merely creepy and unpleasant). Also I can't say I jive with her sense of humour. I think "55 miles to the gas pump" is probably supposed to be funny, but it creeped me out and had me feeling discomfort and unease for days. Ugh.

Ms. Proulx evidently is a really grumpy lady in RL as well, but that is her prerogative and none of my business. Some statements she's made concerning both Brokeback and its fans really don't help endear her as a person to me  - quite the opposite. The one saving grace was (and is) her staunch and outspoken admiration of and support for Heath Ledger's interpretation of Ennis. There she and I are of one mind - but *her* opinion actually counts!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 01:24:10 pm »
I have to admit I rather enjoy her cranky, ascerbic narrative "voice" in the short stories, even if it does make me think of a Granny Clampett-type sitting in her rocking chair and telling stories.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 01:53:38 pm »
I've rad the "Shipping News" and all of "Close Range" and I am not a fan of Ms. Proulx's, Brokeback Mountain aside.

I can see she's a good author, and imaginative, and steeped in the non-glamorous tough culture of gritty everyday country life and ditto realism. But she writes in an author voice and manner that I dislike - she conjures up the most terrible situations and fates for her characters, and the most horrific personalities, and looks at it all in a cool, superior and detached manner. No compassion, no involvement. (I think Brokeback is the one notable exception to this rule, and that is what makes it so emotionally devastating while all the other stories are merely creepy and unpleasant). Also I can't say I jive with her sense of humour. I think "55 miles to the gas pump" is probably supposed to be funny, but it creeped me out and had me feeling discomfort and unease for days. Ugh.

Ms. Proulx evidently is a really grumpy lady in RL as well, but that is her prerogative and none of my business. Some statements she's made concerning both Brokeback and its fans really don't help endear her as a person to me  - quite the opposite. The one saving grace was (and is) her staunch and outspoken admiration of and support for Heath Ledger's interpretation of Ennis. There she and I are of one mind - but *her* opinion actually counts!

Heya Mikaela.  I agree with pretty much everything you say here.  In this poll I voted yes for "Are you a fan of Annie Proulx only because she wrote Brokeback Mountain?" And really, what I mean here is that I'm a fan of the story Brokeback Mountain, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Proulx. I read the Shipping News ages ago, and I recall kind of liking it, but I hardly remember anything about it at this point.  I've not been able to get through most of her other stories.  I've tried many times, but they simply aren't my cup of tea.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie