Author Topic: Breast Milk Cheese - Would You Try It?  (Read 18884 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Breast Milk Cheese - Would You Try It?
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:46:53 am »
In another article somebody said it tasted like reguarl cow's milk cheese. Well maybe so, but it ISN'T! :laugh:

I don't think I would be able to do it. :P

NY Post: Breast-milk cheese served at NYC restaurant

Posted by Bill Daley

Just when you think you've heard everything – especially everything from the New York Post, comes this.  "Wife's baby milk in chef's cheese recipe," is the headline. Chef Daniel Angerer of Klee Brasserie in Manhattan apparently was giving away cheese made from his wife's leftover breast milk as a canape with figs and Hungarian pepper. Seems he had  blogged about making the cheese with the extra milk and people began requesting samples.

Now, that doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is Angerer's offering a wine pairing suggestion for the cheese. His choice? A riesling.

A shout-out to my old friend Dr. Vino  for pointing out the story on his wine Web site.

Dr. Vino, aka Tyler Colman, caps his piece with these words: "What do you think? Impossible?!?" Not sure if he's reacting to the wine recommendation or the whole mama cheese concept.

As for Klee Brasserie, the restaurant's Web site is promoting a new spring cheese menu featuring cheese's from around the world -- made from cow's and goat's milk.

Posted at 04:10:59 PM in Bill Daley, cheese, Wine

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/thestew/2010/03/ny-post-breast-milk-cheese-served-at-nyc-restaurant.html
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Breast Milk Cheese - Would You Try It?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 04:50:19 am »
I´ll have to go with Hell No, on this one :laugh:

Not very logical, I know, but I just don´t think I could get it down. What´s next - sperm juice? :o :o

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 12:26:37 pm »
Seems to me there's a baby who doesn't get the milk it's supposed to have.....   :-\

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 01:24:15 pm »

Well, I hope she's eating nice grass with some clover sprinkled in....

::)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 01:48:55 pm »
I've tasted ordinary breast milk and that didn't taste anything like cow milk. When I was a kid my father had me tasting horse milk, not anything like cows milk either. Breast milk cheese sounds like a restaurant that has problems finding something interesting to serve.....I'd skip it.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »
Seems to me there's a baby who doesn't get the milk it's supposed to have.....   :-\

Well, apparently the milk was left over and they weren't using it....

Chef Daniel Angerer of Klee Brasserie in Manhattan apparently was giving away cheese made from his wife's leftover breast milk as a canape with figs and Hungarian pepper.

Here's a more in-depth article that explains it in greater detail. The bold highlighting is mine...

Daniel Angerer is used to getting attention for the food served at his restaurant, Klee Brasserie — but the New York chef is making more headlines than ever over a new dish that has its source in his fiancee's brassiere.

"Mommy's Milk Cheese" is exactly what it sounds like: cheese made from the breast milk of a nursing mother.

In Angerer's case, that mother is his longtime fiancee, Lori Mason, who was producing more milk than she knew what to do with while nursing their now 10-week-old daughter, Arabella

We see this supply in the freezer and basically can't stuff anymore breast milk in there," Angerer told FoxNews.com.

So, the couple started researching how they could donate the milk but discovered it was a "lengthy process."

"We realized we were going to have to throw a lot of it out, pour this liquid gold down the drain, and we were not going to do that," Angerer said. "So, me being a chef, we said, 'Hey, let's make some cheese!'"

After a successful experiment in February, Angerer posted his new recipe on his blog, "Taking Butter From Lettuce and Sugar From Peas," and from there, Mason said, it took off "like wildfire."

"People were sort of intrigued, interested, put off, fascinated, disgusted — whatever it is, people were obviously reacting and responding to it," she said.

And while responses to Angerer's blog post range from supporters who call "Mommy's Milk Cheese" a "beautiful thing" to critics who are horrified by the whole idea, Mason says the responses from those who've tasted it are far less varied.

"The people who've tried it so far say the same thing, which is, 'Oh, it tastes like cheese.'"

The couple's curious neighbor Troy Berman followed suit Tuesday, saying, "it tastes the same as any other cheese to me," after sampling it for the first time.

Being just as curious, I also gave it a try, and while I found it to be slightly softer, a little more gelatin-like, than a standard slice of deli cheese, if anyone had told me it was a piece of provolone, I easily would have believed them.

Angerer said that's exactly what he was going for with this batch.

"The one you tried was more like a cheddar or provolone cheese," he said enthusiastically.

Other batches have included cow's milk, peppercorn, truffle shavings, even one with a light soy sauce, and textures range from ricotta-style cheeses to some hard enough to grate over food.

But Angerer isn't the only one controlling the flavors in the cheese.

"People ask me if it tastes different according to what I eat, and I think it does," said Mason, a vegetarian. "I think there are times, if I'm eating sweets and cookies and things like that, that it tastes a little bit sweeter than if I'm in a round where I'm eating a lot of vegetables."

It's that impact that a mother has on what's in her breast milk that has the Health Department and other critics warning against the public consumption of human cheese.

"Consumption of breast milk could unknowingly expose consumers to infectious diseases like hepatitis and HIV," FoxNews.com Managing Health Editor, Dr. Manny Alvarez wrote in the Fox News Health Blog.

Dr. Manny says people need to consider the risks associated with consuming any kind of food or drink containing human fluids.

Mason and Angerer agreed, saying "Mommy's Milk" was never intended for Klee Brasserie. But, confident in Mason's health and diet, they have no issues with eating it themselves or letting others give it a try outside of the restaurant.

"People are eating milk from a cow or a goat or a yak or whatever and the milk from those animals feed their young just like the milk from humans feed their young. And while adults of most species aren't meant to eat dairy or drink milk, we do," Mason said. "So if anything, it's less of a stretch to eat human's milk. … It's the most nutritious thing on the planet for humans."

Dr. Manny agrees that breast milk is "one of God's greatest natural foods" but says denaturalizing its properties causes the milk to lose its many nutritional values.

"So if you think you're going to eat breast milk cheese in order to improve your immune system, you should probably think again," he said.

Angerer said the couple still is going through the approval process to donate Mason's extra breast milk to those in need in its most nutritional form.

But in the meantime, the couple plans to hold some kind of a private tasting event for those looking to try "Mommy's Milk" and promises more cheeses — and maybe even gelato — to come.

"You will be the judge what is really better for humankind," Angerer said. "And if you're eager to try it, supply lasts."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588667,00.html

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 02:02:52 pm »
I've tasted ordinary breast milk and that didn't taste anything like cow milk. When I was a kid my father had me tasting horse milk, not anything like cows milk either. Breast milk cheese sounds like a restaurant that has problems finding something interesting to serve.....I'd skip it.

I agree with you Berit. I'd skip it too. I don't think I could even stomach watching someone else eating it. :P :P

Yucky yuck yuck yuck!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 02:03:58 pm »

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 02:52:52 pm »
Would I try it?  Sure, why not?  Cheese is, by nature, not a clean process.  It's all about mold.

I remember reading A Year in Provence I think it was, where the author described going to get cheese from a local who was touted highly for his great cheese.  This was before the unification and before standards were set.  The author met the guy out back where he was making his cheese and watched him mix the curds with a bare arm, pushed into the vat up to his sweaty armpit. 

The author figured it helped give the cheese its "character".  :P

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 04:47:39 pm »

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat clover
Kids'll eat clover too, wouldn't you?
Mares eat milk and does eat milk and little lambs eat cheese
Kids'll eat cheese too, wouldn't you?
 8)

"chewing gum and duct tape"