Author Topic: Breast Milk Cheese - Would You Try It?  (Read 18892 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Breast Milk Cheese - Would You Try It?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 05:07:01 pm »
Yep, I'd try it. No problem. Wouldn't travel the world for it, but I would have no compunction about eating it. At all.

Though I think they should rather have looked into donating that excess milk to a hospital sooner. There are many early-born babies who need donated mother's milk to thrive and even survive.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 05:51:52 pm »
I can't help but wonder if perhaps the couple got this idea, at least in part, from the movie "Borat". I remember a scene in the movie where Borat offers a piece of cheese made from his wife's breast milk to a U.S. Congressman. The Congressman took a bite and swallowed it before Borat informed him it was his wife's breast milk cheese. The look on the Congressman's face was priceless! :laugh: :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 06:30:39 pm »

The chef is having some fun, I think!

First click on the logo here (then the address below for the map):

Klee Brasserie 200 Ninth Avenue New York, NY 10023 212-633-8033

Then click and say...

:D

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline opinionista

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 07:13:01 pm »
I would try it. Why not? Being intolerant to cow milk's lactose I guess a cheese made out of human milk wouldn't hurt me, would it?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 08:28:07 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wensleydale_cheese

Wensleydale cheese
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wensleydale cheese is a cheese produced in the town of Hawes in Wensleydale, North Yorkshire, England (Source of milk: cows or ewes).

(....)

Wallace and Gromit

In the 1990s, sales had fallen so low that production was at risk of being suspended.[6] However, the popular Wallace and Gromit animated shorts A Grand Day Out  and A Close Shave  had the main character Wallace, a cheese connoisseur, mention Wensleydale as a particularly favourite cheese. Animator Nick Park chose it solely because it had a good name that would be interesting to animate, unaware of the company's financial difficulties. The company contacted Aardman Animations about a licence for a special brand of "Wallace and Gromit Wensleydale", which proved to be an enormous success. When the 2005 full-length Wallace and Gromit film, Curse of the Were-Rabbit,  was released, sales of Wensleydale cheeses jumped by 23%.

It's all about promotion, packaging,  if you see what I mean. Now if Chef Daniel Angerer thinks about this seriously--

:o

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 12:22:51 am »

Here it is! Bon Appétit!
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et63ytCgdVY&feature[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline opinionista

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 10:23:38 pm »
I'm lactose intolerant, so it's a "No" vote from me.

I don't think human milk would hurt you. Im lactose intolerant as well but to cow's milk lactose. I don't think it is the same thing.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 10:57:03 am »
It's weird, because objectively speaking we should think consuming breast milk is fine -- heck, it's designed for human consumption! -- and that drinking something that comes from a cow's or goat's udder is gross. Instead, it's the other way around.

I'm guessing it has something to do with our natural response of disgust to bodily fluids. That disgust is a hardwired trait that protects us against disease. But it's not always rational. It acts independently of the actual disease potential.

Why, in commercials, do they always use blue liquid to demonstrate the absorbency of diapers or feminine-hygiene products? Because if they used fluid that looked more, um, organic, people would be grossed out. I read somewhere about a study showing that people are more repulsed by red or yellow fluids in that kind of context, even if they're just colored water.

Have you ever seen one of those TV segments where they go into a hotel room and use some special light to show all the body fluids that are typically found on the bedspread and elsewhere? Gross and horrifying, right? Yet people typically don't get sick whenever they stay in hotels. Those body fluids generally aren't a real health hazard. But they do trigger our disgust reflex.

Complicating the disgust response for breast milk is that it's the product of an intimate relationship between the mother and baby, so there's a sense of intrusion about drinking it. Most people aren't disgusted by the baby drinking it. Though I'll have to say, it is kind of a weird phenomenon, when you think about it (and I have been on both ends of the process).

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 11:56:14 am »

I'm guessing it has something to do with our natural response of disgust to bodily fluids. That disgust is a hardwired trait that protects us against disease. But it's not always rational. It acts independently of the actual disease potential.

Why, in commercials, do they always use blue liquid to demonstrate the absorbency of diapers or feminine-hygiene products? Because if they used fluid that looked more, um, organic, people would be grossed out. I read somewhere about a study showing that people are more repulsed by red or yellow fluids in that kind of context, even if they're just colored water.

::)

"Camping Out"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 12:31:22 pm »
I don't think human milk would hurt you. Im lactose intolerant as well but to cow's milk lactose. I don't think it is the same thing.

Lactose is lactose, it's the sugar content of the milk. There's no difference between lactose from different animals.

Cheese, OTOH, is mostly lactose-free. The lactose disappears in the cheese-making process.

Allergy to milk is something else. The milk-protein from different animals is different, hence a person who's allergic to cow milk might very well tolerate e g goat milk.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre