Author Topic: The Sensei  (Read 3168 times)

Offline piano71

• Don't Say Much
The Sensei
« on: March 15, 2010, 04:07:19 pm »
Link: http://www.thesenseimovie.com

Last night I saw "The Sensei." This low-budget, independent movie was nearly as devastating and thought-provoking as "Brokeback Mountain."

At first, the plot seems like a "gay Karate Kid": In a small Colorado town in 1985, a young gay man, McClain, suffers in isolation. Though only 17, he already had lost a boyfriend to suicide - no doubt caused by anti-gay prejudice and harassment. Wanting to fend off bullies, McClain visits the local dojo, but the owner gives him the run-around and won't let him join. Then one day after school, the town thugs viciously attack McClain, landing him in the hospital. Two classmates witnessed the beating, but didn't try to stop it - out of fear for their own lives. McClain's mother contacts Karen, the sister of the martial arts school leaders (an expert martial artist in her own right), and works out an under-the-table deal to give McClain lessons in self-defense.

From there, the plot takes a different turn. Reacting to the AIDS epidemic, the pastor at the church offers up an anti-gay sermon on Easter Sunday, fanning the flames of hate. McClain learns martial arts quickly; soon, the town erupts in rumors when he uses his newly-learned skills to defend a classmate from bullies. Conflicts erupt in Karen's family as her modern feminist and pro-gay values clash with their old, patriarchal ways. The town thugs, under court order to stay away from McClain, direct their violence and intimidation toward Karen's family.

What's special about this movie is that in addition to the obvious results of physical violence, it honestly depicts the spiritual violence that occurs when a person is shunned from their family, community, or faith. Religious leaders face conflict - within themselves or with each other - about how they treat gay people; religion can become a source of compassion or oppression. It also shows a believable portrayal of straight characters who are forced by their life circumstances to overcome their homophobia, and eventually become allies of the gay community.

Martial arts are presented differently in "The Sensei" than in most movies. Rather than being a 'beat-'em-up' action film, in this story McClain and his sensei (teacher) fight only when they must. Fighting scenes depict realistic self-defense situations; there are no wire-fu or high-kicking stunts. Rather than seeking violent revenge, they allow the authorities to bring justice to the thugs.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Sensei
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:41:36 pm »
This sounds like a great movie; one I'd make a special trip to rent...I think I'll do that today!!

I'm especially glad you told us about it, because I'd never in my wildest dreams imagine that a movie named The Sensei would be about a gay man in Colorado!! Thank you, Pi!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:40:02 pm »
Yes, Piano, thanks for sharing that with us.  I got a book on reserve about senseis at the library now, to learn more.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:25:29 pm »
I just dropped by the Videotique and the proprietor told me that they didn't carry it, and I was pronouncing it wrong?  >:(

Offline piano71

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:28:04 pm »
I pronounce it "sin-say" - that's how it's said in the movie too...

The front cover doesn't even hint at the gay theme or the setting in Colorado; it looks like any other martial-arts film. Diana Lee Inosanto is shown with a sword, though she doesn't use one in any scenes in the film.

The back cover description is better: "Inspiring and equally powerful, The Sensei is a film about tolerance, acceptance, and the courage to stand against hate. Lonely gay teenager, McClain, struggles to fit in with his classmates in a small, conservative Colorado town. After he's severely beaten at school, Karen O'Neil (Diana Lee Inosanto, actress and stuntwoman; The Fast and the Furios: Tokyo Drift), a martial arts sensei, secretly trains him to defend himself. When the town discovers their secret, a series of tragic events unfolds. Co-starring Keith David and Louis Mandylor."

If your local video shop doesn't carry it, check Netflix to rent, or Amazon to buy. Strangely, Wolfe Video didn't pick up this title, despite the fact they specialize in LGBT-themed independent films.

http://www.amazon.com/Sensei-Keith-David/dp/B0031RAOYQ/

I'm moving back to Colorado in a couple of months (mid-way through the process of selling a place / buying another one). I recognized a few of the locations where the movie was filmed. Though the story is set in eastern Colorado (near Sterling), a few scenes were filmed in the mountains (Chautauqua Park in Boulder, another scene at an observation point - but not sure where ... perhaps Flagstaff or Rocky Mountain National Park?).

Unfortunately, the video transfer is poor, so the DVD doesn't do justice to the mountain scenes.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:00:49 pm »
Cool! Great to hear you're coming home to the colorful state! Please let me and the Denver Brokies welcome you personally back!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:23:21 am »
Thanks for the movie review, piano!

I found the film at Netflix...here's the cover (which I now realize is at your link as well):
"Laß sein. Laß sein."