Author Topic: "Last of the Dogmen" (1995)  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
"Last of the Dogmen" (1995)
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:52:51 pm »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113617/

I cannot recall that I'd even heard of this movie. I stumbled on it, on AMC,  Saturday afternoon, while I was channel surfing, and I missed the beginning of it--maybe the first half hour or so--but I did see it to the end.

So, what's the big deal about it? Well, it does feature hunky Tom Berenger as a modern-day Montana cowboy/bounty hunter, and I've had the hots for Tom Berenger for, oh, 25 years.  :laugh:

But anyway, the story supposedly takes place in the mountainous area of northwestern Montana. The scenery was drop-dead gorgeous, just as in a certain other film I could name.  8)  I sat there watching it Saturday afternoon, and thinking to myself, "That's gotta be the Canadian Rockies."

Then there came an episode in the plot where, by any means possible, Tom Berenger's character needs to get hold of penicillin to save the life of a seriously wounded Native American youth. So he robs a pharmacy. And the sign on the building, to establish that he's actually going into a drug store, reads "Canmore Pharmacy." And I said, "Ah ha!"  ;D

Incidentally, the term Dogmen actually referred to a Cheyenne warrior society that was also known to the whites as the Dog Soldiers--the name with which I was familiar.

Also incidentally, I hate AMC. Swear to God, as this movie ran, it was five minutes of movie, then five minutes of commercials, then five more minutes of movie, then five more minutes of commercials. ...  >:(

Still, I will try to see all of this movie some day. Tom Berenger looked really hot in it. ...  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "Last of the Dogmen" (1995)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:31:55 pm »
I really liked Tom in The Big Chill and in that story about the Mormons.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:34:44 pm »
I really liked Tom in The Big Chill and in that story about the Mormons.

I liked him in The Big Chill, too.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:56:36 pm »
Oh, I thought Dogmen referred to teenaged boys who liked to ride their rollerboards in empty swimming pools in LA.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:18:35 pm »
Bumping this thread because I've finally obtained a DVD of this film, and I watched it tonight.

Also, those who are planning to go to Alberta this summer may find it of interest. I was able to check the credits, and the movie was, indeed, filmed on location in Canmore, Alberta.  :D

When I first saw the movie on AMC (see above), I missed about the first half hour of it, so the beginning was new to me on watching the movie this evening. I was immediately struck by the fact that when the story opens, Lewis Gates (Tom Berenger) has lost his love (in this case his wife) to a tragic death and is living--alone--in a "trailer house." Sound like anybody we know?  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "Last of the Dogmen" (1995) filmed in Canmore, Alberta
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:51 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll definitely put it on my see-list.