Author Topic: Rob's Ranch for Raconteurs  (Read 172914 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Rob's Ranch for Raconteurs
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2010, 11:20:07 am »
Dear Rob,
if you are reading any of this, please let us know you are O.K. I know people can go quiet for a bit, I am guilty of that, but was unaware until now how worrying it is for the rest of us here who care. xxxx

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2010, 12:35:20 pm »
Yes, please tell us, when you can, why you went away, Rob.

We were sooooo worried, and none of us knew how to get in touch with you, where you lived, where you worked, a friend's contact number, etc. to find out.  Some of us thought the worst, and we didn't know what to do about it.  I, for one, was searching all over the Internet, trying to google you and reverse email you and all kinds of things, but for naught.  Sue was calling every number she had for you multiple times.

You're such a lovely, wonderful, charming man.  We didn't want to lose you, especially those of us who'd only just found you.

Please share with us what's been happening.

And BTW, if you ever do this to us again, and I think Sue will back me up on this, we'll kill you ourselves.
   ;)

Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline underdown

• aka... Rob
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2010, 03:15:29 am »

It's mid Winter here, but the sun has been shining, and the spring flowers are starting early.

This is a silver wattle tree in my front yard. They are one of the Australian national emblems.

Offline underdown

• aka... Rob
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2010, 03:19:01 am »

Oh. The flowers are a golden colour, not silver. The tree gets its name from the leaves, which are a silvery green.  :)

Offline underdown

• aka... Rob
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2010, 06:48:14 pm »
Thanks folks for your kind concern. I've been absent for quite a while.

I was recovering from a badly dislocated shoulder, using my right arm for any heavy lifting, and a couple of weeks ago snapped the main tendon in the elbow while trying to lift a big log. I’ve had to go back to using the left arm, but have to be very careful or it stirs up the shoulder. So, ‘tho I could still type, everything took a lot longer to do. The worst thing is it is painful to sleep on either side, and trying to sleep on my back produces back pain, tiredness, and ghastly snoring (that, thankfully, no one can hear). Consequently, time has had to be rationed to essential things, and I’m afraid BetterMost was not at the top of the list. Luckily, I mostly work from home, but I do have to drive to the city regularly. A surgeon told me last Tuesday that I should have an operation immediately to re-attach the tendon, but that would mean another 6 months recovery, and no driving for at least 6 weeks. If I wait until the left shoulder is properly healed, it will be too late to do the tendon. So, I have decided not to have the op, and to be content with a weaker right arm. No big deal. I’m still very healthy, and everything else works ok. Apparently, the most noticeable loss is strength to turn a screwdriver, so at least I won’t be so likely to screw things up.  ;D

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 10:19:02 am by underdown »

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2010, 06:52:44 pm »
Hello Rob,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury and pain.  I hope that you are making the right decision regarding your tendon,  only because the pain must be rough to deal with.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »
Sorry to hear about you injury, nice photo too.

:)

Do you all call this time of year winter? I learn somthing new every day.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2010, 04:02:32 am »
I'm glad you are okay Rob. We were seriously worried about you! But Thank God you're okay. I'm really sorry to hear about your injury though.

I love the picture of your wattle tree. We don't have those here in Indiana. At least I don't think so. They must be a subtropical tree and/or native only to Australia. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline underdown

• aka... Rob
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2010, 08:20:42 am »
Thanks for your thoughts, David.  :)

Yes, the wattle tree is an Australian native.
It was exported to a few other countries many years ago, as the bark contained tannin; used to tan leather.
There are a few varieties: Silver wattle, golden wattle, black wattle and a miniature version that has creamy white flowers.
Black wattle is named for the colour of its bark, but has yellow flowers. That one spreads lots of seeds and is considered a pest by landholders.
Generally, though, they are all beautiful in Spring, and inspired the well known Australian sports colours of green and gold.
They are very prolific in this region and many parts of Australia, and there are lots of them starting to bloom around the property at the moment.

Offline optom3

« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2010, 10:25:42 am »
One of the few things I miss about England is the flowering trees. The bright pink cherry blossom. the mgnificent magnolia trees oh and rhodedendrons always a riot of colour. We also had a magnificent Japanese maple in our garden, with deep red leaves. Weeping willows, laburnum. I could go on for ever. !!
Oh and best of all, the stunning clematis which wove their way up the red sandstone cheshire brick of our farmhouse. Sigh ! Don't miss the weather thugh !