Author Topic: Holding the Man  (Read 17568 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Holding the Man
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 12:09:25 am »

Click on this link to visit the site of the London production, including a video interview with playwright, Tommy Murphy, and pics from the production:

http://www.holdingtheman.co.uk/index.php

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 12:23:39 am »
Photographs from the original Australian production featuring Guy Edmonds as Timothy Conigrave and Matt Zeremes as John Caleo. They will also star in the West End production:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 01:27:16 am »
Photographs from the original Australian production featuring Guy Edmonds as Timothy Conigrave and Matt Zeremes as John Caleo. They will also star in the West End production:

Oh. My. GAWD!

Damn Kerry, what you trying to do? Get us all hot and bothered again? lol

;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 01:33:50 am »
This sounds like a very serious, sad and rivoting story. Sorry for my off color comment up above. But you have to admit they ARE very cute.

Anyway, I wonder if there are any plans for this to come to the American Midwest at some point in the future. I have no hopes of it coming anywhere near Indianapolis, but perhaps Chicago, Detroit or St. Louis? It sounds like a beautiful story.

There was a movie aired here in the U.S. back in the 1980's. And it was a very similar story to this one. I wish I could remember the name of it. It aired on HBO or Showtime, I think. It was a very beautiful and heartwrenching movie, about AIDS. It was very sad. :(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 02:11:24 am »

This sounds like a very serious, sad and rivoting story. Sorry for my off color comment up above. But you have to admit they ARE very cute.

Anyway, I wonder if there are any plans for this to come to the American Midwest at some point in the future. I have no hopes of it coming anywhere near Indianapolis, but perhaps Chicago, Detroit or St. Louis? It sounds like a beautiful story.

There was a movie aired here in the U.S. back in the 1980's. And it was a very similar story to this one. I wish I could remember the name of it. It aired on HBO or Showtime, I think. It was a very beautiful and heartwrenching movie, about AIDS. It was very sad. :(

No apology necessary, David.   :-* You're absolutely right, the two actors playing Timothy and John are, indeed, very cute.  ;) And they look remarkably like the real Timothy and John. The book and play are filled with high-camp humour and the deepest pathos. I found myself laughing and crying almost simultaneously. It's an emotional roller-coaster of a story.

The North American premiere of Holding the Man  was staged by San Francisco's New Conservatory Theater Center, September  - November  2007. I've read mixed reviews. The negatives primarily relate to the American cast's apparently unsuccessful attempt at replicating Australian accents. Maybe that's why they've taken the original Australian cast with them this time, to London.

You never know, David. If the play has a successful enough run in London, it could very well tour elsewhere, including the American Midwest.   :D

Failing that, however, I have heard rumours that there may be a movie on the way. I hope so!   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 02:16:47 am »
Failing that, however, I have heard rumours that there may be a movie on the way. I hope so!

I hope so too, sweetie! I'll be the first in line to see it! :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:15 am »
They should follow Jack's advice and GO TO DENVER!! And you should too, David!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 03:50:56 pm »

David, are you thinking of Longtime Companion?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100049/
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.