Author Topic: Aack!! Help! 2010  (Read 7737 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Aack!! Help! 2010
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:00:11 pm »
As some of you know, I was laid off last summer then when my apartment lease was up, I moved in with my mother in her house back in January to help her out.

Well, my mother had given me her car, since I was still driving my beat up, ancient convertible with the torn top and 232,000 miles on it.  So now I have 2 cars.  I've been driving the newer one primarily, leaving my old convertible in the back of the driveway, and driving it rarely and/or just starting it to keep the battery charged up.

Today, I realized it's been almost 10 days since I last started my old car.  Ten minutes ago I went to the car, started to open the door and realized one of the local street cats had just had her kittens on the front passenger side floorboard.

:o :o :o :o :P >:(  :P

*sigh*

First a dove, now a cat (see my thread "Aack!!  Help!  2009" for the dove story).

While I was standing there gaping, going "No, no, no, no..." The mother spooked and ran off.

I went inside to call the vet and the assistant assured me that the mother would be back and would likely move the kittens (they're just newborn - eyes are still closed.  They need their mother).

But there's no way for me to tell unless I disturb them again to look - and I don't want dead little kittens in my car if the mother abandoned them because I kept disturbing them - but the vet assistant said no, I hadn't disturbed them at all since she had had them and likely knew the car was a nice quiet protected space.  So it's very likely she'll be back and cats are very protective mothers.

Good news - she might move them, but I won't be able to tell.

Bad news - if she doesn't move them, then she'll be there nursing them for 5 weeks!!!!

My car will be dead by then!!!  The backyard overgrown!!!  I can't move the car so the lawn guy can get back there to mow!!!  I'll be fined by the city and

AACK!!!

Damned cats...grumble grumble grumble

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Aack!! Help! 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 07:24:18 pm »
Since she's a stray cat you could take the kittens and nurse them till you can find a shelter to adopt them - newborns are ready to adopt at 6 weeks and shelters find them easy to place.  If you don't do this, they will grow up feral, starving, and perpetuate the cycle of starving stray cats in our world.  I had a feral stray creep in through the cat door and have her kittens under my bed.  I kept two of them, nursing them from newborn, and adopted out the other four.  I still have those two cats, Kate and Fred, featured in my flickr site, and the others grew up to be gorgeous half-angora, half-tabby mixes, non-feral, with a healthy domestic kitty life.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:55:25 pm »

Since she's a stray cat you could take the kittens and nurse them till you can find a shelter to adopt them - newborns are ready to adopt at 6 weeks and shelters find them easy to place.  If you don't do this, they will grow up feral, starving, and perpetuate the cycle of starving stray cats in our world.  I had a feral stray creep in through the cat door and have her kittens under my bed.  I kept two of them, nursing them from newborn, and adopted out the other four.  I still have those two cats, Kate and Fred, featured in my flickr site, and the others grew up to be gorgeous half-angora, half-tabby mixes, non-feral, with a healthy domestic kitty life.

Trouble with that - and I was thinking about the getting her spayed issue - that young of kittens have to be kept warm, quiet and fed around the clock.  And I'd have to hope the feral kitties didn't inherit some fatal disease from their mother they could pass on to my own cats (I don't let my own cats outside for that reason).

I'm in the middle of having a garage sale for my mother's furniture, having relatives and strangers tromping into my house and front yard, having the movers bringing my furniture and termite exterminators coming, and boxing things up for Goodwill AND taking care of my own two cats AND going to work.  No idea when I'd have time to nurse the kitties round the clock and kept them undisturbed and away from my own cats.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:27:25 am »
Can you call the Humane Society or Animal Care & Control?  Or maybe some cat no-kill shelter?  Hopefully, there's some local animal rescue organization that has the resources to save these kittens from the feral life that awaits them.

Your post got me thinking:  how did the mom cat get inside your car?  One of my fears is that a mouse or, even worse, a rat will find its way into my car someday.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:19:32 pm »
Your post got me thinking:  how did the mom cat get inside your car?  One of my fears is that a mouse or, even worse, a rat will find its way into my car someday.

I wondered about that, too, until I went back and re-read the first post, where she mentions that the car is a convertible. I'm guessing the top was "down."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Fran

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 08:43:12 pm »
I'm guessing the top was "down."

If that's the case, then it must not have rained for ten days...or perhaps del has some kind of car port.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 10:00:05 pm »
It's a convertible, with a top and doors, however, parts of it don't snap down anymore, leaving a gap for a curious cat to jump through, creating a warm, enclosed but still airy environment that's off the ground.

Yes, Fran, I've been accosted in my car at very inconvenient times by large wasps, big roaches and spiders that chose to lower themselves on a strand of silk to right in front of my face at 60 mph.

I've had to evict ant nests and wasp nests, yet I've worried more about snakes, than rats.  :P

Offline Fran

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 12:51:03 am »
So have the felines exited the vehicle yet?  We need an update, del.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 04:19:17 am »
Cat report, por favor!

:)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 03:12:10 pm »
I haven't disturbed them to to date to even look.  I started this thread on May 18th, so it's just been slightly over two weeks since the kittens were likely born.  They need to be at least 4 weeks before they can survive without their mother in case I spook the mother and have to confiscate the kittens myself.

I hope to every small animal god out there that she's moved them.  It's fricking 100 degrees now.  Unbearable outside in the shade, much less inside a nearly enclosed convertible sitting in the sun.