Author Topic: Nellie Oleson Burns Down "Little House On The Prairie"  (Read 14334 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Nellie Oleson Burns Down "Little House On The Prairie"
« on: June 18, 2010, 12:46:42 am »

"What does it mean to be Nellie Oleson? It means somebody has called me a bitch to my face every day since I was 11 years old."

Nellie Oleson Burns Down 'Little House On The Prairie'

Alison Arngrim, familiar to a generation of TV viewers as the petulant Nellie Oleson of 'Little House On The Prairie,' is dishing the dirt on Walnut Grove. In her new book (released this week) and one-woman show, both called 'Confessions of a Prairie Bitch,' she tells tales and reveals who she liked (Melissa Gilbert) and who she didn't (Melissa Sue Anderson) on set.

"I tell all true stories," she told PopEater. "I talk about what it was like to be a bitch, and what it's like to be hated. What does it mean to be Nellie Oleson? It means somebody has called me a bitch to my face every day since I was 11 years old."

And were they right?

"Yes!" she said with a laugh. "Of course, I'm not really a bitch, I just played one on TV."

Alison's website doesn't make it easy to find tour dates, but the show will be in New York this Thursday through Saturday, and then moves to San Francisco and on to France, where (like Jerry Lewis) she is surprisingly popular.

"The French really love 'Little House on the Prairie,' and they love Nellie Oleson," she says. "I go to France at least twice a year for a month and perform my one-woman show in French. The show really resonated with the French for some reason, and [I learned the language because] I realized I could go back and cash in. They don't think Nellie's mean, they think she's French."

Arngrim was part of the first generation of TV actors to benefit from residual payments "in perpetuity," meaning she still gets checks from 'Little House.' "'The Waltons' don't get residuals," she says with an impish trace of Oleson smugness.

And she adds that almost without exception, the fans' favorite "Nellie moment" is the episode where she pretends to be crippled. The saintly Laura Ingalls finally breaks and pushes Nellie, in her wheelchair, into a pond. "It's the most beloved episode and it really vibrates with people," she says. "Nellie gets her come-uppance!"

But were there any real-life catfights on-set?

"One of the things that seems to shock people is that Melissa Gilbert and I are friends," she says, speaking at her book event at New York's Aspen Social Club. "We loved each other and we still love each other -- Melissa is very much like my sister. We had slumber parties. Yet, you had Melissa Sue Anderson, who played her sister, and they never went to each other's house. Melissa [Gilbert] has spoken in her book about how she did not have a very good relationship with Melissa Sue. I talk about how Melissa Sue was really the diva head cheerleader-type, the homecoming queen who we all were sort of in awe of. Melissa Sue admits in her book she did not become friends with the other girls. She said she was shy ... we think there's another word for it, and it's the one they call me."

Alison (whose tweets you can follow here) is also heavily involved with Protect.org, a child-protection advocacy group. Asked about her funniest fan interaction, she said she was at an autograph signing a few years ago at the LA County Fair, and a middle-aged women went red in the face when she saw her and finally blurted out "I forgive you!" before storming off.

"It was nice to be absolved after all these years," Arngrim says with a chuckle.

http://www.popeater.com/2010/06/17/alison-arngrim-little-house-on-the-prairie/

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Nellie Oleson Burns Down "Little House On The Prairie"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 07:46:39 am »
cool lady

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 09:26:45 am »
"They don't think Nellie's mean, they think she's French."

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I love that!

Some time within the past year, I think it was, they had a sort-of Little House cast reunion on Today. Alison was there, and she was hysterically funny. I remember her telling about some little girl coming up to her and kicking her!

There used to be a gay comedy troupe (three guys, I think it was) who played Provincetown in the summer. They called themselves The Nellie Olesons.  ;D

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 09:49:57 am »

I surprised to learn that her (abusive) brother is Stefan Arngrim who played Barry on the sixties TV show LAND OF THE GIANTS

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 09:50:55 am »
I grew up with "Little House" in the late 70's / early 80's -- never missed it.  Last year, I checked out all 9 seasons, every episode, from the library, and watched them, in order, all over again.  Life was so much simpler and more straightforward and more black-and-white back then, it made me really feel at peace to watch them all over again as a grown woman in this complicated, unbelievably messed-up world we live in now.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 10:14:37 am »
Here is a wiki link to an article on Nellie Oleson, who Laura Ingalls Wilder created out of three people she knew:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Oleson
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:31:34 am »

LOL!  I used to watch Little House a lot too when I was a kid.  I remember loving Nellie... I got such a kick out of watching her "bad girl" antics.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:16 am »
Here is a wiki link to an article on Nellie Oleson, who Laura Ingalls Wilder created out of three people she knew:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Oleson

That was fascinating! Thanks, Truman!

Tell you what. I read all the Wilder books, though "late in life." Except for Little House in the Big Woods, I didn't have them when I was a kid; I only read them--I admit--as a teenager after seeing the pilot movie for the TV series. What I'm getting at here, though, is that the description of Genevieve Masters in the Wikipedia article reminded me of the fictionalized version of Almanzo Wilder's sister, Eliza Jane, in the books. So maybe Genevieve Masters was the "inspiration" for two of Wilder's characters.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 05:07:13 pm »
I grew up with "Little House" in the late 70's / early 80's -- never missed it.  Last year, I checked out all 9 seasons, every episode, from the library, and watched them, in order, all over again.  Life was so much simpler and more straightforward and more black-and-white back then, it made me really feel at peace to watch them all over again as a grown woman in this complicated, unbelievably messed-up world we live in now.

Wal-Mart has those Little House DVDs for sale! Cheap! I now own seasons 1-6. At Wal-Mart they are selling them two seasons in a pack for $19.88 or something like that. $10.00 a season sounded like a good price to me, so I bought the seasons 1 and 2 pack and also the seasons 5-6 pack. They didn't have the season 3 and 4 pack in stock, but when I went back a couple weeks later they had it, so I bought that one too!

I watch them all the time. If you're looking to buy those DVDs Mandy, I'd go up to Wal-Mart if I were you. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 05:10:45 pm »

LOL!  I used to watch Little House a lot too when I was a kid.  I remember loving Nellie... I got such a kick out of watching her "bad girl" antics.

I remember watching it as a kid too, Amanda. It came on Monday nights, didn't it? Anyway, like you, I loved Nellie. And Mrs. Oleson was very funny. :)

And I had a HUGE crush on Michael Landon! :laugh:

And I thought Almonzo and Adam were very cute too.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 06:03:23 pm »
I remember reading in one of the "Little House" memorabilia-type books that the dear actress Katherine (Scottie) MacGregor, who played Harriet Oleson, was one of the kindest, gentlest, most charitable, giving and forgiving people on this planet, according to all of her costars.  To me, that's what acting is -- someone who can convincingly play the exact antithesis of themselves, and pull it off without a single viewer picturing her in any other way than the mean, selfish, evil, conniving, greedy witch that she portrayed.  I'm guessing Alison felt the same way about the character she was portraying.  Too funny...

I loved every single episode, and will cherish them all in their own special way for the messages they gave and lessons they taught us as impressionable young'uns, but without a doubt, my favorite one was called "The Wisdom of Solomon" in Season 3.  Todd Bridges, an unknown pre-Diff'rent Strokes actor at the time, one whom we've recently learned was at the same time being sexually abused by those in charge of him, played a young boy who'd run away from his sharecropper home in Mississippi in order to find a better life, and snuck aboard Mr. Ingalls' wagon and made his way to Walnut Grove, claiming he was an orphan with nowhere to go and no family, so of course, the Ingalls took him in, gave him a home, and tried to find a way for him to adjust into the all-white, middle-class way of life they knew.  He was belittled and treated like an unwelcome outsider by the other kids and folks of the town, and he was struck by a racism he'd never had to know before.  His words, his speeches, his tears in that episode, were heart-rending to listen to, even back then when I was just 11 years old, and even more so last year when I watched it all again at age 43.  What a brilliant and underestimated actor he was, and he's still in the business to this day.

There wasn't a single episode I didn't love, but for some reason, that one in particular struck me to my core and made me see what racism was, and set my resolve for life, that I would play no part in it, ever.   

Thanks for the tip about Wal-Mart, David.  Not sure I need to own them all, when my library a block away has them all the time at my beck-and-call.  I already own the entire collection of the original "Beverly Hills 90210", "Melrose Place", and "Thirtysomething" sitting right there on top of my TV cabinet.  I'm wondering if adding one more entire collection of a TV show might be the equivalent of a single woman owning three cats  ???  Might scare a few potential dates away when they come through my front door, dunno...

My fave character was Mr. Edwards -- Victor French.  Sometimes, at night when I can't sleep, I start humming the words to "Ole Dan Tucker"...

Perhaps I need medication, whatcha think? 
  :laugh:

Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...