Author Topic: 9 QUESTIONS - ***ANSWERS POSTED***  (Read 13776 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: 9 QUESTIONS
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 12:30:06 am »
Oops, I almost forgot, here are the correct answers:

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

Answer: Boxing.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

Answer:  Niagara Falls - The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons.  All other vegetables must be replanted every year.  What are the only two perennial vegetables?

Answer: Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Answer: Strawberry.

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.  The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.  How did the pear get inside the bottle?

Answer: The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words.  Name two of them.

Answer: Dwarf, dwell and dwindle.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.  Can you name at least half of them?

Answer: Period/full-stop, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets, parenthesis, braces, ellipses.

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

Answer: Lettuce.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'

Answer: Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts, scuffs, slingbacks.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 12:40:25 am »

I can only answer a few of these, but I'll jump in anyway:

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. I have no clue!

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward? They all are if you consider that the earth is rotating constantly.

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons.  All other vegetables must be replanted every year.  What are the only two perennial vegetables? Fennel and lettuce?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside? I should know this but I seem to have forgotten it!

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.  The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.  How did the pear get inside the bottle? The bottle is placed over the branch just as the pear starts forming on the tree.

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words.  Name two of them. Dwell, dwezil, dwip...

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.  Can you name at least half of them? period, comma, semicolon, colon, hash mark, question mark, exclamation mark, virgule (slash), tilde, asterisk, footnote mark, quote marks (double and single), ellipses, dot-dot-dot...

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh. Melon?

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.' slippers, slip-slaps, shoes, sling-backs, ...

:laugh:  I couldn't find "dwezil" or "dwip" in my dictionary, so only awarded you ".33" of a point for "dwell."   :)

I couldn't find "slip-slaps" on Google, but did award you ".50" of a point for getting 3 correct.  :)

I added these .33 and .50 scores to your 3 correct responses, Lee, giving a total of 3.83, which was rounded out to the nearest full number of 4.   ;)  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 12:59:18 am »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:22:52 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: 9 QUESTIONS - ***ANSWERS POSTED***
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 09:12:02 am »
Those are great prizes, thank you very much!!  :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 09:55:54 am »
Those are great prizes, thank you very much!!  :-*

You're welcome, Lee. Enjoy your rose!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 11:29:58 am »
Glad you enjoyed it, Meryl. I felt like a real heel for not giving you a "Correct" mark for Question 1. "Guessing how many beans there are in a jar" is probably just as correct as "Boxing." When a friend emailed this to me, I answered "Chess" to Question 1, and was peeved when my friend marked it as "Incorrect." I argued that "Chess" was correct, but he said that "Boxing" was the correct answer that had been sent to him, and he had marked my responses strictly only with the answers that had been sent to him. Sheesh, he's such a spoilsport! I gave myself an extra point for "Chess" anyway (I didn't tell him!), so feel free to give yourself an extra point (Unofficially, of course!) for "Counting beans in a jar."  ;)  ;D

*Bows modestly as one of the three winners*

Thank you, Kerry!  8)

No worries about the beans in a jar answer.  It's hardly a sport, but I listed it for fun.  ;D

*Goes off to make a cherry cake while gazing fondly at the lovely Fairy Glitter Globe*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 11:41:44 am »

Woo-hooo, I'm one of the winners!!!!!    ;D

Thank you Kerry!

I love my  Fairy Glitter Globe! 

*immediately starts to bake a cherry cake with her prize, plans to swap half of it with Meryl*

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 06:05:40 am »
Thank you Kerry for the glittery globe! :-*

Cherries? Oh my. A good week ago, we harvested the cherries from our tree and made jam from them. It's an awful lot of work, and awfully messy. But I think I can handle one more cherry, especially if it's a glittery one :laugh:.