Author Topic: Why am I so in love with this film?  (Read 2851 times)

Offline lilia

• Don't Say Much
Why am I so in love with this film?
« on: June 30, 2010, 04:35:51 pm »
I first watched Brokeback when I was thirteen; I'm now sixteen, and I swear not a day since then has gone by when I haven't thought about it at least once. I've seen it countless times, I've cried over the story so much - sometimes I've felt so affected it's like a physical pain in my chest. It speaks to me so powerfully, and I've never understood why. I guess I was pretty young when I first saw it; none of my friends appreciated its beauty, and neither did most of the adults around me. I'm a girl, and I'm also straight... but honestly, this film is the most beautiful, heart-breaking and raw story I've ever seen. It's perfect; perfect, painful love.

Why do I feel like this...?

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Why am I so in love with this film?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 04:45:28 pm »
Lila, I can't say it any better than you did -

I think I felt exactly the same way - just stunned by its beauty and raw emotion.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 06:27:40 pm »
Welcome Lilia!

Have a piece of cherry cake won't ya?

You're not alone.. spend some time on the open forum and dive in to talking about the film!

xx
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline lilia

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 06:35:56 pm »
Oh, I can't eat no cake just now  ;)

Coffee, however, will do me nicely.

I really thought I was alone! And thank you, happy to be here :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:11:52 pm »
If I may try to answer in view of my own experience...it's because the movie has opened up the possibility of finding love wherever and whenever and with whomever it may happen. It's a timeless story told before in Greek myth, Shakespeare, and now played out in the American West. It's an epic tragedy that encapsulates our times.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:20:33 pm »
Lilia, welcome.  You're among a huge number of friends and like-minded people here.  Many of us have watched this film hundreds of times, analyzed it nearly to death.  But that doesn't make it any less special and precious to each of us.  We are kindred spirits, the folks that love this movie.  Join us in discussion and friendship if you'd like.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 12:42:15 am »
I know exactly how you feel Lilia

I was in my 40's when I first saw Brokeback, and now I'm in my 50's. BUT I used to be 16  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:10:46 am »
Welcome to BetterMost, Lilia! :)

I'm Penthesilea, one of the moderators of the Open Forum. Take a look around the topics here, there's plenty of talk about the movie and short story. Don't be shy to reactivate older threads or start new ones with your questions.

Why do I feel like this...?

That's the million dollar question many of us have asked themselves for months or even years. For my own part, I have found some answers, but never could fully explain it. Somewhere along the road (in over four years) I have accepted that I will probably never find the one, correct answer why Ennis and Jack's story has such an impact on me. It is at it is, and I am thankful for that.

Offline lilia

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:29:01 pm »
It's so nice to hear from people who feel the same way, nobody I know personally understands! I think it's just the incredble, aching beauty of the storyline, coupled with such talented actors and film makers... it's really changed me. I was devastated for so long after watching it for the first time, and I've yet to see it without crying at least once. Unquestionbly the greatest film couple of all time.