Author Topic: Chat about diversity  (Read 5591 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Chat about diversity
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:41:38 pm »
All these signs embrace a common sense of "love thy brother" which many (not all, unfortuntately) strive to include in their daily lives and their treatment of other people.

Where such commonalty goes haywire is when it morphs into justificaltion of harm, includiung severe harm, to those who are determined who have not embraced such ideals in the past.

Historically referred to as the veritible pendulum, those on top, by whatever means, take advantage.

Why are all these photos of people who are advertising? Is it really required to run a promotion on oneself to have a sense of self esteem?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Chat about diversity
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 12:31:22 pm »

Cindi
Sydney

© thisisoz.com.au, ACON

hmm, what is "transphobia"?  ???

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Chat about diversity
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:43:26 pm »
All these signs embrace a common sense of "love thy brother" which many (not all, unfortuntately) strive to include in their daily lives and their treatment of other people.

Where such commonalty goes haywire is when it morphs into justificaltion of harm, includiung severe harm, to those who are determined who have not embraced such ideals in the past.

Historically referred to as the veritible pendulum, those on top, by whatever means, take advantage.

Why are all these photos of people who are advertising? Is it really required to run a promotion on oneself to have a sense of self esteem?
HK I am not sure about the need for the signs either, but I can't see they do any harm. It seems to me that it is a basic fact that the universe by its own definition is "diverse". So, I am not sure about the need to "celebrate" diversity or who that would benefit from the celebration.

Let me give you an example : if I have surgery I am not inclined to celebrate diversity, I want a qualified surgeon with a good track record performing the type of surgery I need. If I were inclined to celebrate diversity, then I would want anyone and everyone to perform the surgery - ad exec, oil and gas manager, convenience store clerk, etc. It seems to me that the word "Diversity" is one of the  political catch phrases of the day that really doesn't make much sense in real life.

But as long as no one tries to force a convenience store clerk on me as a surgeon, I guess it does no lasting harm.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Chat about diversity
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:50:25 pm »
hmm, what is "transphobia"?  ???

I recommend an encyclopedia. Wikipedia is always one click away.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
Chat about diversity
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:51:59 pm »
So, I am not sure about the need to "celebrate" diversity or who that would benefit from the celebration.

From what I can tell, "celebrating diversity" is a feel-good euphemism for "practicing inclusion." Back in the old days we used to call it "treating people with human dignity."
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Chat about diversity
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 02:00:35 pm »
From what I can tell, "celebrating diversity" is a feel-good euphemism for "practicing inclusion." Back in the old days we used to call it "treating people with human dignity."
treating all people with dignity is a good thing!

but, practicing inclusion and treating people with dignity are two different processes.

the former implies that it is an active process, an active solicitation to include all people.

the later seems more passive, not soliciting inclusion, but a simple courtesy during encounters with people who are different

back in the old days in my neck of the woods, we called that "common courtesy".

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
Chat about diversity
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:20:26 pm »
treating all people with dignity is a good thing!

but, practicing inclusion and treating people with dignity are two different processes.

the former implies that it is an active process, an active solicitation to include all people.

the later seems more passive, not soliciting inclusion, but a simple courtesy during encounters with people who are different

back in the old days in my neck of the woods, we called that "common courtesy".

Bingo!!

The whole "celebrating" thing indicates that everybody is supposed to be happy about the fact that I'm black, or an androphile. Frankly, I would be much happier with a set of laws that prohibit people who don't like me for whatever reason from keeping me out of housing, jobs, public accommodations, etc. You don't have to like me, but you can't fuck with me.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Chat about diversity
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 03:18:11 pm »
I grew up in the days when homosexuality was not mentioned in polite company. Homosexual acts were a crime and I kept my feelings hidden. As an otherwise law abiding person, I had feelings of self-loathing and sought psychiatric cures. Then in the 70's things changed so much. We were open and proud and celebrated our diversity. Perhaps now that more than 30 years have passed, we now just expect common courtesy and being treated with dignity. However there are still pockets of homophobia and many other people may accept but want to pity us. So there is still need for times to  celebrate our diversity.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Chat about diversity
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 03:25:52 pm »
Bingo!!

The whole "celebrating" thing indicates that everybody is supposed to be happy about the fact that I'm black,

or an androphile. Frankly, I would be much happier with a set of laws that prohibit people who don't like me for whatever reason from keeping me out of housing, jobs, public accommodations, etc. You don't have to like me, but you can't fuck with me.
once again Milo you have hit the nail on its head - booooiiiinnnngggg!

what is so utterly stupefying about PC is the double standards that fuel it - reminds me of "newspeak" in Brave New World.

you see with PC we can all rejoice that you are Black, but if anyone rejoices that I am White - well, that is just racism!

and y'all can be happy as clams that I am gay and in favor of same sex marriage, but if we are happy that you are an androphile - oh my you must be a secret homophobe!

We had better stick with our pre-approved PC  identities - You just be happy with Black, and I'll just stick with Gay.  :laugh:

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
Chat about diversity
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 03:43:16 pm »
I grew up in the days when homosexuality was not mentioned in polite company. Homosexual acts were a crime and I kept my feelings hidden. As an otherwise law abiding person, I had feelings of self-loathing and sought psychiatric cures. Then in the 70's things changed so much. We were open and proud and celebrated our diversity. Perhaps now that more than 30 years have passed, we now just expect common courtesy and being treated with dignity. However there are still pockets of homophobia and many other people may accept but want to pity us. So there is still need for times to  celebrate our diversity.

I think I understand where you're coming from psychologically. Because institutionalized homophobia made y'all feel so bad about yourselves, you celebrate as a way to counteract that.

But one of the things that I find odd about the gay community is that they celebrate an innate trait over which they have no say. To me that is the equivalent of blacks celebrating the color of our skin. You see, when we celebrate ourselves it is about our history, culture, contributions, progress, etc. rather than our innate blackness.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
Chat about diversity
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 03:59:53 pm »
you see with PC we can all rejoice that you are Black, but if anyone rejoices that I am White - well, that is just racism!

What, they don't have an annual WASP Day Parade where you live??

We had better stick with our pre-approved PC  identities - You just be happy with Black, and I'll just stick with Gay.  :laugh:

Actually, the pre-approved PC identity for me would be African-American. They're trying to get us all to stop using black. And my grandmother still refers to colored folks.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Chat about diversity
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 04:35:48 pm »
What, they don't have an annual WASP Day Parade where you live??

Actually, the pre-approved PC identity for me would be African-American. They're trying to get us all to stop using black. And my grandmother still refers to colored folks.
:laugh: we wilt in the heat so we don't parade much outside, just a few demonstrations indoors at the country club.

yes, when I was a small boy the acceptable terminology was "colored" - there was a sweet made for cable tv movie made about 15 years ago, and set back in the late 1940's titled

"Once Upon A Time When We Were Colored".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114039/

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
Chat about diversity
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 02:59:39 pm »
More likely it would have been whitewashed!  :-\

Ben
Adelaide
South Australia

© thisisoz.com.au, ACON

How can you celebrate diversity in this thread, and then turn around and dis straight guys?? They are part of diversity too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:06:46 am by Kerry »