Author Topic: Save Me  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Save Me
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:42:08 am »
I did a quick search here on Bettermost and could not find that this movie has been discussed. I am surprised, but by way of Friend Gary who heard about it from Eric, here is a little gem from 2007:

Save Me

Chad Allen stars and produces this gay indie story described in rottentomatos:

"A sex and drug addicted young man who is forced into a Christian-run ministry in an attempt to cure him of his "gay affliction", where instead he is faced with the truth in his heart and spirit."

Notice how the film bills itself as being right up there with Brokeback Mountian  ;D  I think BBM has become the the gold standard in gay films, while not really a gay film itself.

Along with Allen are Robert Gant from Queer As Folk and Allen's real life partner, Jeremy Glazer, Judith Light and Stephen Lang (the bad guy from Avatar). Light's performance as the mother of a gay son who took his life is heartbreaking.

I watched the movie the other night and have not sent it back to Netflix yet, I need to watch it a few more times, and not just for the scenery. It is a very well written tale which does not blast the Christians out of the water, the screen play by Robert Desidero simply confronts the divide with love.

The only problem I found with the movie was the sound mixing left a lot to be desired, the dialogue was very quiet and the music waaaay too loud.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4l1qzffGQM[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Save Me
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 10:50:16 am »
And it seems you can see the whole thing on youtube, here is the first installment:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McGi0p_b_qc&feature=watch_response[/youtube]

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:05:09 am »
Very powerful video clip.    :'(

You are OK just the way God made you, no need to denounce or change your natural feelings.  
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 11:20:33 am »
I beg to differ with Time Out London:  "I know Brokeback.  Brokeback is a friend of mine.  You, sir, are no Brokeback."

I saw this back in April.  It is on Netflix streaming as well.  Athough low-budget, it certainly is earnest, and Judith Light gives a fine performance.  I gave it three stars, because of the wooden script, and uneven acting.  Important subject, but it's no Brokeback.  

Here's the (I thought, terrible) poster:

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:18:22 pm »
I agree with you Paul, it is no Brokeback. It is cool however it aspires to be in such company.

The script was on the wooden side, the character deveopment could have been better also. Some of the minor characters got monologues to tell their story, but I kept expecting more. 

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:26:39 pm »
I mean this in a nice way, but it's kinda like one of the better after-school specials, or made-for-TV movies. 

Interestingly, the screenwriter is Judith Light's husband. 

I may just stream it again soon.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 01:39:14 pm »
Thank you, Truman and Paul, it's now in my Netflix streaming queue.  Interestingly, when I opened the Netflix website, it said to me,

"Because you enjoyed Far from Heaven, Brokeback Mountain, Good Night, and Good Luck, we recommend A Single Man."

Good call, Netflix.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 03:44:07 pm »
I mean this in a nice way, but it's kinda like one of the better after-school specials, or made-for-TV movies. 

Interestingly, the screenwriter is Judith Light's husband. 

I may just stream it again soon.

I like that after-school special quality of a lot of these films. And of course the acronym is A.S.S.  ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 06:07:01 pm »

I heard about this movie, was interested and eventually bought the Dvd (mainly because it was compared to BBM).
I thought the movie was good, solid in some parts but definitely not "Up there with Brokeback".  :) 

I like that after-school special quality of a lot of these films. And of course the acronym is A.S.S.  ;D

lol, yeah.  8)