Author Topic: The James Franco Project Continues:What It’s Like To Be James Franco’s Professor  (Read 78148 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
I watched East of Eden tonight. James Dean reminded me so much of James Franco...it was uncanny!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I watched East of Eden tonight. James Dean reminded me so much of James Franco...it was uncanny!

James Franco potrayed Dean in a TV(?) movie a while back.  It was a break-through role for him.

He's been active on facebook lately.  But not on Twitter.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
No kidding? I'll have to look for it. There's no way to keep up with all that man does!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: James and James, Franco & Dean; East of Eden
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2012, 02:41:58 pm »

Since it was a Steinbeck story, maybe I should have said it was uncannery!! (sorry for my juvenile nerd humor!)

Speaking of Steinbeck, how did he bear the butchering of his story by Hollywood? I don't suppose there is any fear of spoilers in my next comments, since the movie came out in the 1950s! First of all, a major character named Lee who was involved in some of the main plot points, served as narrator, and provided the voice of wisdom in the book doesn't even appear anywhere in the movie!! (Me being named Lee, you can see how I'm a little upset by this) And Salinas appears to have been wrenched from the San Joaquin Valley of California and plopped down beside the sea! Also, the evil mother Kate turns into a benefactor for Caleb which makes it ridiculous when other characters show fear and revulsion towards her. I wonder if the butchering of Steinbeck's work (as well as that of Hemingway and Faulkner) is one of the reasons Proulx has been so wary of lending rights to her stories to be made into films.

Now I just consulted imdb, which says that Steinbeck was happy with the film! Primarily, I gather it was because Elia Kazan, the director, was a friend of his and because he thought James Dean was perfectly cast as Cal.

I also learned that Kazan had originally envisioned Marlon Brando and Montgomery Clift for the roles of Cal and his twin brother Aron. But they were in their 30s, too old to play teenagers. But Paul Newman, one year younger than Brando, made it to the final casting tests, being filmed with James Dean in a screen test that still exists. Julie Harris won the role of Abra, the sons' love interest, even though she was a decade older than she was supposed to be. Richard Davalos in his screen debut played the part of Aron. I wonder what if anything he did after that.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: James and James, Franco & Dean; East of Eden
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 03:56:24 pm »
James Franco potrayed Dean in a TV(?) movie a while back.  It was a break-through role for him.

You're right as usual, Gil. It was called just James Dean, was shown in 2001, and Franco won a Golden GLobe and Screen Actors Guild award for his performance! I'll have to seek that one out.

Meanwhile, there's a movie coming out this year about Dean's hidden gay life, I understand.

Offline oilgun

Check out his new website!

http://www.jamesfrancotv.com/

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/watch-a-semi-nude-psa-from-dave-franco.html

Watch a Semi-Nude PSA From Dave Franco
Those Franco boys certainly like to take their clothes off.
Merely factual, not a complaint!

By Kyle Buchanan
Yesterday at 6:25 PM

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVVqM7Zilfo&feature[/youtube]
Uploaded by Complexmagazine on Mar 13, 2012

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/watch-a-semi-nude-psa-from-dave-franco.html

Watch a Semi-Nude PSA From Dave Franco
Those Franco boys certainly like to take their clothes off.
Merely factual, not a complaint!

By Kyle Buchanan
Yesterday at 6:25 PM

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVVqM7Zilfo&feature[/youtube]
Uploaded by Complexmagazine on Mar 13, 2012

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• BetterMost Supporter!

James Franco
on the set of
"Spring Breakers"--
Oh my!

(And why am I thinking
he is NOT playing a professor of literature
in this movie?)
 :o

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

God, I feel like I should be taking notes!

:laugh: :laugh:
http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/james-franco-reveals-how-hes-so-productive.html

James Franco Reveals
How He’s So Productive

By Alexandra Peers
Today at 6:30 PM

In June 2010, James Franco held an art exhibition in Tribeca chock full of photography, sketches, video, and sculpture. It was the type of scattershot project that has led some to call him the ultimate toe-dipper. Yet his new book, The Dangerous Book Four Boys  – which is actually the exhibition catalogue from that show – indicates that it might be some form of artistic ADD, rather than dilettantism, that afflicts Franco. In the book, out next week from Rizzoli, Franco reinterprets his art show, scrawling all over the pages with notes and annotations like some cracked-out grad student. (Which he sort of is, given all the universities he’s been enrolled in recently.)

On Thursday night, James Franco was in New York for a discussion and signing of his book at Manhattan’s absurdly exclusive Core Club, a private club located in an east Midtown office building. If the book’s title sounds familiar, it should. Franco used as source material the 2007 British bestseller The Dangerous Book for Boys  that takes a nostalgic look at male childhood with such lessons as how to tie a knot and how to find true north. I was “loosely inspired by that other book,” the suited actor explained, while lounging in the club’s private theater. “I guess you could say it was a fucked-up version of that.”

P.S. 1 founder Alanna Heiss, who ran the discussion and curated the 2010 show, quizzed him in front of a packed house about his artistic inspirations, the choices he made in the show, and the images he included in the book that reference his own boyhood. Speaking of one creepy image, which appeared to picture a terribly wounded man, Franco explained that when he was 12, he and some friends “burned some of our G.I. Joes as a comment on what was going on in the Gulf War at the time.”

In another image, taken from his video “Dicknose in Paris,” Franco wears a prosthetic penis prop from his film Milk  on his nose. (Think a rubbery elephant’s trunk with sagging purplish balls). “Franco looks completely different with a penis on his nose,” Heiss noted. This is true. He does. Franco wisely declined to comment on that observation.

Heiss explained that Franco worked on the book while filming 127 Hours  and that she, along with Franco and the book’s publisher and editor, prepared it together. Then, they sent it to him and there was " ‘The Franco Intervention’ … as if a boy were drawing on those pages.” Virtually every page is “defaced” or commented on by the star – scribbles, scrawls, arrows, diagrams, hastily sketched hearts.

At night’s end, after a long line of co-eds had given him their names to write in their books and asked for advice on being actors, on school, or just generally giggled, Franco inadvertently revealed the secret of his success. Shutting the last exhibition catalogue, he sighed and said: “Last night, I slept three hours.”

"Camping Out"