Author Topic: Public Service Announcement of the Day--CPR Training  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Public Service Announcement of the Day--CPR Training
« on: February 15, 2008, 01:48:31 pm »
My whole day on January 29 was shot, but it was time well spent. I enrolled in all-day training put on by the American Heart Association in cardiopulmonary resusitation (CPR), AED training, and first aid. Now I feel even better about inviting my Brokie friends to spend a week with me in June in the wilds of Wyoming. And strangely, it helped me get over the ache of losing our hero Heath Ledger.

CPR must be instituted immediately whenever a person stops breathing and their heart stops beating. It keeps essential blood flowing to the brain and can keep the person alive until their heart can restart on its own. There have been cases of people being revived successfully after three hours of CPR.

If you have had this training in the past, you might think about going to a refresher class because it has changed a lot in the past few years. For instance, you were advised to check the person's pulse first before starting CPR; now you no longer do that, because it's a waste of precious time.

Also there are myths about CPR. It is not all about mouth-to-mouth resusitation, it is more about applying pressure to the chest. Thirty strong compressions are delivered at a rate of 100 compressions per minute, followed by two breaths, and then the process is repeated. I'll post more about this training if there's interest.

I invite everyone to post their PSA of the day here!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Public Service Announcement of the Day--CPR Training
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 06:25:05 pm »
do you know i should really think about finding somewhere to do this - you've inspired me!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:27:47 pm »
I know we have some medical professionals here, so we shouldn't have any problem coming up with a public service announcement every day!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:54:46 pm »
My whole day on January 29 was shot, but it was time well spent. I enrolled in all-day training put on by the American Heart Association in cardiopulmonary resusitation (CPR), AED training, and first aid. Now I feel even better about inviting my Brokie friends to spend a week with me in June in the wilds of Wyoming. And strangely, it helped me get over the ache of losing our hero Heath Ledger.

CPR must be instituted immediately whenever a person stops breathing and their heart stops beating. It keeps essential blood flowing to the brain and can keep the person alive until their heart can restart on its own. There have been cases of people being revived successfully after three hours of CPR.

If you have had this training in the past, you might think about going to a refresher class because it has changed a lot in the past few years. For instance, you were advised to check the person's pulse first before starting CPR; now you no longer do that, because it's a waste of precious time.

Also there are myths about CPR. It is not all about mouth-to-mouth resusitation, it is more about applying pressure to the chest. Thirty strong compressions are delivered at a rate of 100 compressions per minute, followed by two breaths, and then the process is repeated. I'll post more about this training if there's interest.

I invite everyone to post their PSA of the day here!!

Getting advanced CPR training, plus first aid and AED training, is one of my New Year's Resolutions. How about you?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 10:27:23 pm »
I keep this on the side of my fridge. Not that it'd do me much good, 'cause I live alone and there wouldn't be anyone there to give me CPR.  :-\

Nonetheless, I feel better for having it there.  ::)

You are welcome to print a copy for yourself. All that needs to be changed is for you to add your local emergency number at point #4.

May be necessary to scroll over ------>

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 09:38:55 am »
Thankyou Kerry - I saved that for printing
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Public Service Announcement of the Day--Prescription Drugs
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 12:37:36 am »
A man is standing in a morgue between two dead bodies. He says, "This man died of an overdose of illegal drugs." "This man," he says, turning to the other body, "died of an overdose of prescription drugs. Which one is more dead?" he asked.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 01:20:13 am »
I've seen that commercial before, Lee. It's a real eye opener.

Drug abuse KILLS. :'( :'(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 01:25:22 am »
I also remember another commercial several years ago. It was filmed in black and white. A bunch of mourners are walking behind a hearse. Suddenly the hearse stops, the coffin is removed and carried over to a grassy area where the mother breaks down and grieves over the coffin. The commercial ends with something like "More than one life is ruined by drug abuse" (or something like that.)

I also remember another one. The commercial shows an egg, and they say "This is your brain"

Then they crack the egg and show it sizzling in a hot skillet and they say "This is your brain on drugs"

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 01:15:59 pm »
...all-day training put on by the American Heart Association in cardiopulmonary resusitation (CPR), AED training, and first aid. Now I feel even better about inviting my Brokie friends to spend a week with me in June in the wilds of Wyoming. And strangely, it helped me get over the ache of losing our hero Heath Ledger.

Also there are myths about CPR. It is not all about mouth-to-mouth resusitation, it is more about applying pressure to the chest. Thirty strong compressions are delivered at a rate of 100 compressions per minute, followed by two breaths, and then the process is repeated.

More changes to CPR technique recently. Now, there is no mouth-to-mouth resusitation at all! Instead, the chest compressions are emphasized...at about 100 per minute. The chest should be compressed by 2 inches.

Recently, a man was kept alive for 96 minutes using CPR until his heart started beating again and he survived with very little or no brain damage!! I keep thinking about how Heath could be alive today if that massage therapist had been trained in CPR. So...my son and I are going to training at our local firehouse today!