Author Topic: Girls maturing as early as 7 years old--why?  (Read 8535 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Girls maturing as early as 7 years old--why?
« on: August 09, 2010, 08:19:46 pm »
A survey of girls found that breast tissue is forming much earlier than just decades ago:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20100809/hl_hsn/manygirlsnowbeginpubertyatage78

and this is attributed to obesity. But commenters think it has more to do with chemicals and hormones in the foods we eat and in our water supply. What do you think?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Girls maturing as early as 7 years old--why?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:16:33 pm »
A survey of girls found that breast tissue is forming much earlier than just decades ago:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20100809/hl_hsn/manygirlsnowbeginpubertyatage78

and this is attributed to obesity. But commenters think it has more to do with chemicals and hormones in the foods we eat and in our water supply. What do you think?

The OBgyn I saw on TV made a good case for obesity as - apparently - statistically, ethnic women are more prone to obesity.

What I wonder is why the results of the boys coming to puberty earlier - they were also part of the study - was not trumpeted all over the media as such a fearful thing as girls.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:56:45 pm »
good point friend. Girls, no matter of what ethnicity, are all coming to puberty earlier. As are boys. And, I think, there may be more instances of gender confusion, etc.

What's causing this?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:18:23 pm »
What I wonder is why the results of the boys coming to puberty earlier - they were also part of the study - was not trumpeted all over the media as such a fearful thing as girls.

Well, aside from the usual gender bias  ::)  >:( I think I remember reading--somewhere--that early menarche has been statistically associated with some types of cancer in women--but I can't remember which type of cancer, or where I read it (probably here at work).  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:30:22 pm »

I have seen this explanation in more places than one.  Consider that any meat consumed not specifically labeled as *not* has been injected with estrogens to increase growth of say, a chicken breast.  Who knows what else is added to increase the rate of production - increase quantity and turn-around time, etc...I think it's a no-brainer that girls injesting estrogens would mature sexually more quickly and before their emotional maturity has a chance to catch up.  One result of this is sexual activity at too early an age.  Who knows what biological damage is done as well?  An increase in breast cancer and in other areas where estrogen plays a significant role - ovarian, uterine, maybe pituitary, wouldn't surprise me at all.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 06:34:44 pm »
I have seen this explanation in more places than one.  Consider that any meat consumed not specifically labeled as *not* has been injected with estrogens to increase growth of say, a chicken breast.  Who knows what else is added to increase the rate of production - increase quantity and turn-around time, etc...I think it's a no-brainer that girls injesting estrogens would mature sexually more quickly and before their emotional maturity has a chance to catch up.  One result of this is sexual activity at too early an age.  Who knows what biological damage is done as well?  An increase in breast cancer and in other areas where estrogen plays a significant role - ovarian, uterine, maybe pituitary, wouldn't surprise me at all.

Do the two necessarily follow though?

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 08:49:15 pm »
When I read scary articles like this, I'm so glad I chose not to have young'uns.  But I still worry for all my friends who DO have children that age, and I pass these educational or enlightening articles on for them.  Most of the parents I know with kids at home certainly don't have time to sit on their butts and surf the net for articles that may pertain to their families for 8-12 per day, sooooo... at least I'm good for something in this world, LOL!

I did have a girlfriend and her two daughters over last week -- one of them is 11 and skinny, and the other just turned 13 that weekend and has always had problems with her weight.  I hadn't seen them in a year, and when they walked through my door, their boobies were the first things I saw.  I swear to you that they were bigger than mine are.  Or maybe that's just because, at 44, the majority of my once-perky breasts have sunk decidedly southward, dunno.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...