Author Topic: single for life  (Read 16322 times)

Offline Peter John Shields

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • On a river bank.
    • My web page.
single for life
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:56:49 am »
Hello Brokies,

I love the romance of Brokeback Mountain, however I feel deep inside that I am a family of one and so have decided to be single for life (I am 39).
I was wondering if anyone else on this forum can relate?
If so how is life going for you?
My decision has been a very concious one and came after a good deal of self reflection (and also a couple of bad relationships!)
I hope people don't feel  I have given up on love, I have been in love before and believe in it, however I seem to be better suited to the single life and look forward to the years ahead.

Well better get my cat fed and open my soup for one (haha)  :laugh:,

Thanks to all and thanks for reading,

Peter
Cheerio,
PJ

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: single for life
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 02:21:11 pm »
I am reminded of what Mona Ramsay said in Tales of the City when faced with similar prospects "I think what I really need is five good friends."

There is a lot of pressure in society to be with someone. We often measure or worth against weather or not we are involved with someone. Especially in a group of couples.

I think maybe you can leave the door open, if you don't force your attention on it, who knows what may come your way.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:26:22 pm »
If you're happy then thats all that matters stripey!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 02:47:12 pm »
What Kelda said.  If you're happy, what does it matter?

It took me about two months to realize that all my close friends have moved out of my city and are no longer people I can just meet up with for drinks or movie or to hang out.

So, except for family, I'm all alone in town as well.  And as you can tell, this was such a problem for me that I didn't notice for two months.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 03:07:14 pm »
Hello Stripey,

I agree with what Truman said, regarding the pressure from society to pair up.

I'm single now.  I will admit that I don't want to stay single, however, I don't feel like I'm less of a person because I am single.  As Kelda said, as long are you are happy, that is all that matters.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 03:13:48 pm »
Hello Brokies,

I love the romance of Brokeback Mountain, however I feel deep inside that I am a family of one and so have decided to be single for life (I am 39).
I was wondering if anyone else on this forum can relate?
If so how is life going for you?
My decision has been a very concious one and came after a good deal of self reflection (and also a couple of bad relationships!)
I hope people don't feel  I have given up on love, I have been in love before and believe in it, however I seem to be better suited to the single life and look forward to the years ahead.

Well better get my cat fed and open my soup for one (haha)  :laugh:,

Thanks to all and thanks for reading,

Peter
your cat likes your soup? I have an older long haired siamese that loves cream of tomato.

I was in the same relationship from my teenage years up to my early 40's. He passed away, I mourned, and met someone. I have been in my second relationship now for nearly 8 years.  It just suits me, although the older I get, the more peace and quiet I seem to need!  :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:21:14 pm »
I´m single and happy about that. I have never been able to see myself in a relationship and I sure ain´t the marrying kind. Don´t want no kids either.

I have grown too used to be able to spend my freetime as I wish

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 03:48:24 pm »
I´m single and happy about that. I have never been able to see myself in a relationship and I sure ain´t the marrying kind. Don´t want no kids either.

I have grown too used to be able to spend my freetime as I wish

Heya,
I very much relate to pretty much everything you say here.  I think it would be very, very difficult for me to adjust to a relationship at this point since I'm so used to being on my own.  And, I absolutely love being independent and having the freedom to do what I want with my time.

I very much like the *idea* of having a long-term girlfriend.  But, the honest reality of living with someone is actually a bit hard for me to imagine.  The idea of marriage does not appeal to me (obviously I believe in gay marriage, but it's not something I'd want within my own relationship with a woman), and I'm very ambivalent about the idea of kids too.  If I had a partner who wanted kids, I wouldn't say no... but it's not something I feel too strongly about personally.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:13:05 pm »
I love my single friends.  I love that they are unencumbered and more spontaneous.  I love that there homes are often far more a reflection of them than the melded homes are.

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • On a river bank.
    • My web page.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:04:36 pm »
Hello all,

Thank you so much for replying-I was blown away by all your responses and comments. 
I could relate to what everyone was saying, especially the idea of not seeing oneself in a relationship; and also if your happy that's all that counts. 
It's really easy though to start seeing yourself as not completely whole, so for me I almost have to recommit to myself every now and then (if that makes sense).

Thanks all
Cheerio,
PJ

Offline tforster

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »
I was single until I met my partner when I was 38. We've been very happy for 11 years and I hope that we have many more.

That being said, I was very happy when I was single, too - it was great to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted... and I love to have alone time for reading, movies, work... or dancing in my underwear.

Vive la difference!
Tom

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:19 am »
Stripey, I'm a lifelong single, and though I have regrets from time to time, I think it's been the right choice for me.  There's a price to be paid either way, as you know.  You just need to make the choice that works best for you.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 05:55:51 am »
Stripey, I'm a lifelong single, and though I have regrets from time to time, I think it's been the right choice for me.  There's a price to be paid either way, as you know.  You just need to make the choice that works best for you.  :)
I would agree with Meryl. I have had one 18 month relationship in 66 years. I do not count the heterosexual "going out together" or even the 6 month engagement of an earlier time which I do now regard as wasted years. There are times when I wish it could be otherwise as just now when I am about to set off on 10 weeks travelling the world alone. I have never made it a conscious choice though, it just worked out that way. Perhaps I am too choosey. A number of years ago, after describing an encounter to a lifelong friend, he said "And what's wrong with this one?" which made me think  I may be searching for perfection which is of course impossible. However I have decided that is just the way I am and do not get depressed. But do not make a conscious decision not to be partnered at such an early age, you never know. On  the other hand don't try to invest every meeting  with an expectation that he may be the one.  Good luck. 

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:03:53 am »
Interesting topic, and lots of good and diverse replies.

I'm a 44-year-old hetero lady, was married for 6 years from age 23 to 29, plus we dated nonstop and were engaged for 4 years before that.  After my divorce, back when I was still cute and skinny and smart and funny, I went on a dating rampage -- not because I wanted to get married again, but because I wanted to see what I'd been missing out on, by being tied down during prime dating years.  It was bunches of fun getting to know so many cool guys, but then I settled down dating two married men concurrently and one single one who lived 4000 miles away.  Basically, I was making conscious choices to keep my single self here, free and clear.  I mean, a married man can't move in with you, and can't actually demand anything of you.  So I get to keep my house all to myself, do whatever I want, have company whenever I want, and for me, that's the best of all possible worlds.  I'll never get married again, that's for sure.  Being a wife just did not suit me.  So, that's my happy choice.

Good luck with finding what works best for you!
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 12:00:57 pm »
Hey Peter!

Great to see you around here again.

Like everyone has said, you should be comfortable with where you and who you are. No matter what society says, a partner won't complete you. At best, you complement one another.

I am in a relationship again - the first possibly serious one since my divorce circa 1996. It is good in many ways, but I think we both have trouble imagining living together or more. I think it would chafe a bit.

Be happy!
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »
your cat likes your soup? I have an older long haired siamese that loves cream of tomato.

Is that a cat date?  ;D

Offline Sophia

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 02:37:35 pm »
For me it hasn't always been a straight answer what I wanted it to be ( and in some ways I still don't know ). They way my live has been so far I have lived a single life with a few occasion were I have been in relationships. But I have always stayed by myself and that have given me a lot of freedom and independence which I enjoy very much.  :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »
Is that a cat date?  ;D
cat date? well no its a demanding siamese, she like tomato soup, so she gets some tomato soup from time to time.  :) :)

Offline Sophia

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 03:25:08 pm »
cat date? well no its a demanding siamese, she like tomato soup, so she gets some tomato soup from time to time.  :) :)

I hope she is not picky on the brand, as well.  :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 04:00:06 pm »
I hope she is not picky on the brand, as well.  :)
not yet, I hide the generic can of tomato soup I buy at Sam's Club from her, so she is still convinced it is Campbell's or Knorr's.  ;)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 04:44:27 pm »
Hi everyone,

I hadn't been around for ages , and then I log in and ... come across the ONE topic that's been looming large on my mind lately !  (this is what I love about this forum) . Stripey , thanks for this thread , and I can only agree with you on the happiness of single life (though as someone rightly stresses, there's a price to be paid either way) .

I am 44, and the longest (not happy) relationship I was in lasted for 9 years (7 of which we lived together under the same roof). As Mandy says , being a "wife" or partner to anyone, male or female, simply doesn't work for me . I have come to the happy and public assertion that I sure ain't the marrying kind , but I'm not the "living together as a couple " kind either ... and not even the "in a relationship" kind ! I know for a fact that I have always been happier when I have been on my own. Is it shameful if I say I suspect I am the " one-night-stands" kind ??
  :o
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 04:59:45 pm »
Hey Isabelle. Great to see you here! And no that's not shameful!! as long as you are both consenting adults!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 05:10:27 pm »
Hi everyone,

I hadn't been around for ages , and then I log in and ... come across the ONE topic that's been looming large on my mind lately !  (this is what I love about this forum) . Stripey , thanks for this thread , and I can only agree with you on the happiness of single life (though as someone rightly stresses, there's a price to be paid either way) .

I am 44, and the longest (not happy) relationship I was in lasted for 9 years (7 of which we lived together under the same roof). As Mandy says , being a "wife" or partner to anyone, male or female, simply doesn't work for me . I have come to the happy and public assertion that I sure ain't the marrying kind , but I'm not the "living together as a couple " kind either ... and not even the "in a relationship" kind ! I know for a fact that I have always been happier when I have been on my own. Is it shameful if I say I suspect I am the " one-night-stands" kind ??
  :o

Hey Isabelle!

It is great to see you again - welcome back!

I'm with Kelda - consenting adults - do what feels right to you.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 05:15:42 pm »
Hi Lynne and Kelda !

Hey Isabelle. Great to see you here! And no that's not shameful!! as long as you are both consenting adults!

Oh KELDA !!   I might be French , but still ... YES , only between consenting adults !
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 05:34:04 pm »
Hi Lynne and Kelda !

Oh KELDA !!   I might be French , but still ... YES , only between consenting adults !

:laugh: :laugh:

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • On a river bank.
    • My web page.
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:07 pm »
haha i should offer my cat soup to see if she likes it!
Cheerio,
PJ

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 11:12:08 am »
Does it come in a box?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 11:30:39 am »
just as an occasional treat, I don't think a milk based soup does any harm. occasionally I  put out some canned salmon for them too, but 95% of the time they get the diet the vet insists that I feed to them.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 02:59:24 pm »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Sophia

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 03:20:42 pm »

or perhaps a cat web cam date, with soup and all.  ;D

Please keep in touch with updates on the success!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 05:32:26 pm »
www.chatroulette.com !!

(get it chat = cat!?)

Offline Sophia

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 04:03:02 pm »

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 06:14:02 pm »
How did we get so far off topic?  I was really enjoying reading people's stories about their singledom.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2010, 07:50:36 pm »
Er, sticking to the point of the OP, I'm single and very happy and I've read that onions are bad for cats, so you might want to read the soup label before giving it to them.  8)

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2010, 08:18:22 pm »
I've been married and I've been single - and I think there's something to be said for both, as long as you have the freedom to be yourself in your relationship, and that goes for both parties in a relationship.    I was married at 21 to my high school sweetheart with whom I moved in at 18, and we were together for 8 years.  I don't regret that time in my life for a second.   Although it didn't work out for us be cause we grew and changed, it was very important to me and I learned a lot.   As cliche as it sounds, life is a learning experience, and no event is for naught.   I landed with a crash into the single dating scene, and on the one hand, I didn't feel I was missing much, but on the other, there are wonderful guys out there just as people, and the friends I made, both men and women.   I enjoyed my single life very much too.   There's a lot to be said for sharing your happiness with someone too.   I'm married now and have been for the past 20 years.   I say whatever makes you happy - if you are happy single and independent, good for you!   There's no rule that says everyone has to be partnered.
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Sophia

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 06:26:14 pm »
How did we get so far off topic?  I was really enjoying reading people's stories about their singledom.
'

But the real question is, is the cat single?  ;D

Offline oilgun

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 10:40:05 am »
Roger Ebert tweeted this appropriate gem this morning:

ebertchicago Some people are single. Others are soloists.

:)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 01:03:41 pm »

I am reminded of what Mona Ramsay said in Tales of the City when faced with similar prospects "I think what I really need is five good friends."

"I think what I really need is five good friends."

Love that. That's all anyone needs, really.

In the late 70's (  :o ) I worked with a friend in New York (still dear friends more than thirty years later, even though she shuttles, at the moment, between San Francisco and Dublin, Ireland). She was a San Franciscan, born and bred, she would get her care packages from home that included copies of the San Francisco Chronicle, and all our co-workers would steal them to read the latest entries of Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City, which was then serialized in the newspaper before it was published in the soon-to-be famous book (followed by sequels and miniseries, etc, etc).

Anyway, as Truman mentioned Tales of the City,  and others mentioned cats, I just thought I had to mention the name of the TOTC character Mary Ann Singleton.  

Even though I'm definitely not from Ohio, I have a lot of Mary Ann in me--especially as I am a Singleton from birth, as it were--

Mrs. Madrigal: Good. You're one of us then. Welcome to 28 Barbary Lane.
Mary Ann Singleton: Thank you.
Mrs. Madrigal: Yes, you should.
Mary Ann Singleton: Do you have any objection to pets?
Mrs. Madrigal: Dear, I have no objection to anything.

I'll also mention: Maupin's eight TOTC book is called "Mary Ann in Autumn," and fittingly, it will be released on November 2!

Armistead Maupin and his husband Christopher Turner
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 04:30:37 pm »
I wonder if Jack appeared to you singletons and insisted on befriending you if you would tell him "why don't you leave me be"??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 05:43:40 pm »
I wonder if Jack appeared to you singletons and insisted on befriending you if you would tell him "why don't you leave me be"??

Worked for Ennis didn't?  Got all the perks without Jack being around most of the time?  ;)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2010, 06:44:58 pm »

Well in my case, Bud, obviously yes I'd say something along those lines.

But, I'd be more than happy to rub Cassie's feet or slow dance with Lureen.  But, the more difficult question is about establishing a long term relationship.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I really like the idea of something like that.  But, I'm also self-aware enough to know that it would be a massive, massive adjustment to live with someone.  The old cliche about getting "set in one's ways" feels very, very real to me after years of doing things according to my own schedule, comfort level, etc.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2010, 06:51:59 pm »
Worked for Ennis didn't?  Got all the perks without Jack being around most of the time?  ;)

Well, if I were Jack, I'd say, "you and Alma, that's a life." Can't you just hear him saying it! I'll have to think about the concept of being set in one's ways, Amanda. It's true that there's a lot of people in my life which leads to a lot of chaos. Still, when I feel like being alone, I go to a movie or take a hike in the mountains, or just go to my room and take a nap. And that seems to take care of my need to be alone. The Dalai Lama said, Spend a little time alone each day. It's good advice (and I tell my friends, your commuting time doesn't count!) There's also the benefit of feeling secure about your possessions. I'm forever dealing with my things being "borrowed" or mislaid. It's unnerving. Still, there is something in my DNA which causes me to seek out the warmth of others. I must have been a bunny in a previous life.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2010, 07:34:51 pm »

Well, but there's a difference between "befriending" and "ranching up together." Isn't there?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2010, 07:55:37 pm »
Well, but there's a difference between "befriending" and "ranching up together." Isn't there?

No, not the way Jack defines it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2010, 09:13:39 pm »
No, not the way Jack defines it.

Well, we're not Jack.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2010, 09:23:07 pm »
Well in my case, Bud, obviously yes I'd say something along those lines.

But, I'd be more than happy to rub Cassie's feet or slow dance with Lureen.  But, the more difficult question is about establishing a long term relationship.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I really like the idea of something like that.  But, I'm also self-aware enough to know that it would be a massive, massive adjustment to live with someone.  The old cliche about getting "set in one's ways" feels very, very real to me after years of doing things according to my own schedule, comfort level, etc.

It IS a massive adjustment, and accommodation, and compromise, and to a great extent, your life is not your own any longer.  I was married long term (12 years) and have been single for for 20, and i would never, ever, EVER get married again.  To anybody.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2010, 03:15:23 am »
(OT - I've been reading about Olympia Dukakis recently, who played Mrs. Madrigal in TOTC.  She definitely does not fit in this thread - she and her actor husband Louis Zorich - Paul Reiser's dad on Mad About You - have been married for 48 years.)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2010, 08:34:58 am »
(OT - I've been reading about Olympia Dukakis recently, who played Mrs. Madrigal in TOTC.  She definitely does not fit in this thread - she and her actor husband Louis Zorich - Paul Reiser's dad on Mad About You - have been married for 48 years.)

(Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward were long-term, too.)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2010, 06:42:20 pm »
Well, if I were Jack, I'd say, "you and Alma, that's a life." Can't you just hear him saying it! I'll have to think about the concept of being set in one's ways, Amanda. It's true that there's a lot of people in my life which leads to a lot of chaos. Still, when I feel like being alone, I go to a movie or take a hike in the mountains, or just go to my room and take a nap. And that seems to take care of my need to be alone. The Dalai Lama said, Spend a little time alone each day. It's good advice (and I tell my friends, your commuting time doesn't count!) There's also the benefit of feeling secure about your possessions. I'm forever dealing with my things being "borrowed" or mislaid. It's unnerving. Still, there is something in my DNA which causes me to seek out the warmth of others. I must have been a bunny in a previous life.

The problem I found is that everyone's need for 'alone' time varies greatly.

I need a LOT of alone time.

When I was last engaged, my BF would be working on his car or watching TV and I'd retreat to the study to read and be alone.  Needless to say, he'd wander in to see what I was doing.  My last two BFs couldn't understand why I didn't want to sit with them and watch the game or listen to a band practice.

I was like Elaine in the Elaine and Puddy couple.  Him wanting her to watch him play softball, her finding it boring and bringing a book to read to pass the time.  Him getting upset because she wasn't paying attention to him playing.

If I was sleeping in on a Saturday, capable of sleeping blissfully till noon, most of my BFs would never let me, because they were early risers and were up at 8 AM and bored by 10 AM and would call and wake me up, wanting to know when they could come over.

>:(

When home alone, relaxing in the bathtub, having changed my mind about doing something because I felt like staying home, my fiance would call to see why I had changed my mind and what was I now doing?  And if I was fed up and didn't want to answer the phone, he'd keep calling and calling and calling....

Nowadays, how much alone time do you really have when you get home from work?

At my last job, I'd get off anytime between 5:45 pm and 7:00 PM, then have to run errands, then get home and cook and/or work out, then when I settled down for 'Me time" invariably, a friend or my mother or my sister would call or e-mail.  Yes, I need to take time for them, but guess whose time it came out of?  That's right - my alone time.

Normally, if you work full-time and like to get in bed at a decent hour, you really only have 5 hours between 5 PM and 10 PM.  That's not a whole lot of time.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2010, 06:52:45 pm »
The right man (or woman) for you, della, might be an older one, if you ever decided to give up singleness. My neighbor is married to an older man, and she says it works out perfectly because "you have your evenings free." She says it right in front of him, teehee!!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2010, 08:37:11 pm »
The right man (or woman) for you, della, might be an older one, if you ever decided to give up singleness. My neighbor is married to an older man, and she says it works out perfectly because "you have your evenings free." She says it right in front of him, teehee!!

Heh.  Maybe.  I've always gone in the opposite direction.  My last BF was much much younger than me and when my friends founds out, they just blinked at me and said, "Girl, you're going to be 90 years old and they're still going to be 22 years old!"  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 8) :P