Author Topic: Danny Boyle's latest, a fact-based '127 Hours,' with James Franco and—Kate Mara!  (Read 13082 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Um, I think Benedict Cumberbach belongs in this lineup too! You wouldn't exclude him just because he's from across the pond, would you?

There are no neat antecedents for the five men on this page. Like Ryan Gosling, none is a traditional leading man, action figure, or romantic-comedy arm candy. They are all too intense, too weird, too complicated. None is bankable. Do they think about their image at all? If so, it’s not central to who they are—acting might not be either: Polymaths Gosling and James Franco could well consider it a sideline. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is possibly more interested in collaborating with other artists on hitRECord, his online production company. Jesse Eisenberg—arguably the first egghead movie star—hosts Olympic-class wordplay on his website OneUpMe.com.

They are never predictable and often unlikable; their good guys are flawed, and when they’re bad, they’re horrid
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
I finally saw it! Didn't faint!

Actually, my greater fear came true, that it would drag a bit in the middle. But that was kind of unavoidable, and they did the best they could to liven that part up. Overall, I thought James Franco was excellent and the movie was good.

You know, I didn't even get all that grossed out. Yeah, the arm hacking wasn't the most pleasant scene ever. But it annoys me that news reports from this movie all have this kind of panicky tone, viewers fainting and so forth, whereas reports of movies like "Saw" and "Hostel" and the like -- seriously violent movies that would gross me out much more -- go uncommented upon.

Afterward, I watched the first 15 minutes of Blue Valentine, and now I think I have to go back for the rest of that.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Cool! Thanks for the feedback!

Aron Ralston thought the story dragged just a bit in the middle, too!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Aron Ralston thought the story dragged just a bit in the middle, too!!

He he. What a cool comeback to K's comment. ;D

Just saw this movie. I'm pretty much with Katherine (no surprise here).
Loved Franco, and thought the movie was good, but not extraordinary. And yes, it dragged a bit in the middle.
I wasn't grossed out either. Heck, it's rated 12 here, which means everybody age 12 or older can see it. The rating already makes it clear there's nothing really bad in it.