Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5695911 times)

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"I" is insisting
« Reply #14430 on: August 16, 2007, 08:05:46 am »
"Oscar-nominated screenwriter Larry McMurtry is baffled by the furor surrounding Brokeback Mountain, insisting there's nothing controversial about the movie at all. McMurtry, who co-wrote the screenplay with Diana Ossana, says the story is simply about the hardship of life and love and is not meant to fire up the gay debate amongst lawmakers.

McMurtry says, 'It doesn't present any kind of agenda, any politics at all, one way or the other at all. It just says life is not for sissies. You need strength; love is not easy. It's not easy if you find (it), it's not easy if you don't find it. It's not easy if you find it but it doesn't work out. It merely says the strong survive, but not everybody is strong.'"

Next letter is "L."  Thanks to Toast for the graphic.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:11:35 am by Memento »

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"L" is lawmakers
« Reply #14431 on: August 16, 2007, 09:19:02 am »
"Oscar-nominated screenwriter Larry McMurtry is baffled by the furor surrounding Brokeback Mountain, insisting there's nothing controversial about the movie at all.  McMurtry, who co-wrote the screenplay with Diana Ossana, says the story is simply about the hardship of life and love and is not meant to fire up the gay debate amongst lawmakers."
=aside= Sandy
Thanks.

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"M" is mulling
« Reply #14432 on: August 16, 2007, 10:22:50 am »
The New Yorker, the screenplays, and the movie all remove Annie Proulx's prologue in which Ennis Del Mar is mulling over his life and his few remaining choices.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:28:51 am by Toast »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"N" is novels
« Reply #14433 on: August 16, 2007, 06:07:29 pm »
"Annie trusted Larry and me very much. Larry and I have written two novels, and many more screenplays and teleplays, together. The West is rich in character, experience and the history of our country, and we like that. We talk about what we're writing quite a bit before we start. The process is pretty straightforward. We discuss things a lot; we argue, but the arguments usually result in good things.

We're really very different from one another. That's clear just by the way we write; he's on a manual typewriter and I'm on a computer. He seems more interested in the women characters than the men, and seems to feel that I have more intuitiveness about the men than he does. He's strong in dialogue - that's clear from his books - and character. I feel that my strengths are the inner life of the characters, and how to convey that through the dialogue. I have a real strong sense of what's going on with them inside, always."

Offline Fran

"O" is Oscar-nominated
« Reply #14434 on: August 16, 2007, 06:41:48 pm »
"Oscar-nominated screenwriter Larry McMurtry is baffled by the furor surrounding Brokeback Mountain, insisting there's nothing controversial about the movie at all.  McMurtry, who co-wrote the screenplay with Diana Ossana, says the story is simply about the hardship of life and love and is not meant to fire up the gay debate amongst lawmakers."
=aside= Sandy
Thanks again.  :)

BTW, Ossana/McMurtry/screenplay is an excellent theme.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:49:27 pm by Fran »

Offline Toast

"P" is previous
« Reply #14435 on: August 16, 2007, 07:59:47 pm »
One of the reasons I've read the short story more than once is that I keep finding new details that I overlooked in previous readings -- little asides on Proulx's part that continually add to a deeper meaning. Brokeback Mountain is a movie made by people who read every word of the story every single day, wringing out its potential for drama like you'd wring out a soaked washcloth. The largest additions are in Jack Twist's passing of years, filling out details unexplored by the story's reliance on the Ennis POV, but of those scenes only one -- in which Jack stands up to his rich and domineering father-in-law at Thanksgiving -- feels at all out of place.

And the sum of all this is a small love story with an epic feel: a critical favorite, an Oscar frontrunner, and the only other film of 2005 that can challenge Sin City for the title of Year's Most Faithful Adaptation. A two-hour movie from a fifteen-page short story, with minimal addition.

Sometimes, with adaptations, you sometimes get to see a dull caterpillar transform into a beautiful butterfly, but most of the time you watch a beautiful caterpillar burst from the cocoon as a dull brown moth. Brokeback is the rarest of species -- it emerged transformed, but still recognizable. Still just as gorgeous as before.

Just a little longer.

bookslut.com  Size Doesn't Matter: Brokeback Mountain

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"R" is recognizable
« Reply #14436 on: August 16, 2007, 08:49:28 pm »
One of the reasons I've read the short story more than once is that I keep finding new details that I overlooked in previous readings -- little asides on Proulx's part that continually add to a deeper meaning. Brokeback Mountain is a movie made by people who read every word of the story every single day, wringing out its potential for drama like you'd wring out a soaked washcloth. The largest additions are in Jack Twist's passing of years, filling out details unexplored by the story's reliance on the Ennis POV, but of those scenes only one -- in which Jack stands up to his rich and domineering father-in-law at Thanksgiving -- feels at all out of place.

And the sum of all this is a small love story with an epic feel: a critical favorite, an Oscar frontrunner, and the only other film of 2005 that can challenge Sin City for the title of Year's Most Faithful Adaptation. A two-hour movie from a fifteen-page short story, with minimal addition.

Sometimes, with adaptations, you sometimes get to see a dull caterpillar transform into a beautiful butterfly, but most of the time you watch a beautiful caterpillar burst from the cocoon as a dull brown moth. Brokeback is the rarest of species -- it emerged transformed, but still recognizable. Still just as gorgeous as before.

Just a little longer.

bookslut.com  Size Doesn't Matter: Brokeback Mountain

=aside= Toast
 ;)

=aside= Fran
Welcome back from the desert!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 12:56:41 am by southendmd »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"S" is soaked
« Reply #14437 on: August 16, 2007, 08:51:25 pm »

Just a little longer.
=aside= Toast
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:58:12 pm by Memento »

Offline Fran

"T" is transform
« Reply #14438 on: August 16, 2007, 09:47:15 pm »
"Sometimes, with adaptations, you sometimes get to see a dull caterpillar transform into a beautiful butterfly, but most of the time you watch a beautiful caterpillar burst from the cocoon as a dull brown moth.  Brokeback is the rarest of species -- it emerged transformed, but still recognizable. Still just as gorgeous as before.

"Just a little longer."
-- Liz Miller, Hollywood Madam

=aside= Toast
Thanks.

=aside= Paul
Thanks for the welcome back. 

Yes, we did the Skywalk.  It was cool...
but a little scary on the glass part.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:03:47 pm by Fran »

Offline Toast

"U" is unexplored
« Reply #14439 on: August 16, 2007, 10:37:48 pm »

Just a little longer.