Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5484553 times)

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"H" is heightens
« Reply #19630 on: April 25, 2009, 07:38:56 pm »
If Ang Lee made a movie about a homosexual relationship, he would direct one of the characters to have an emotional candour that heightens his vulnerability.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"I" is inclusion
« Reply #19631 on: April 27, 2009, 06:49:11 pm »
If Ang were asked about his inclusion of TS2/SNIT, he would say, "I need to add another tent scene and I don't even know if she [Annie] like it. I always had this theory that she would hate it. To confirm that they commit to the love, so it's reasonable for the next 20 years they are going back. I think in movies, in cinema language, you have to see them committed. In a book, it's in the writing and you don't see it. I explained it to her in terms of hands-off. Once you make the movie, it's your work. I explained to her, that your writing is very hard to translate into cinema and she just smiled and said, 'That's your problem' (laughing)."

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"L" is Lin
« Reply #19632 on: April 27, 2009, 07:45:06 pm »
If presenter Tom Hanks announced, "...and the Oscar goes to Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain," director Ang Lee would have big hugs for both his wife, Jane Lin, and co-producer James Schamus before heading to the podium to accept his award.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPGQHRKFf-I&feature=PlayList&p=0CE8FEFCDF6CC91E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4[/youtube]

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:18:23 am by Fran »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"M" is Milos
« Reply #19633 on: April 27, 2009, 08:39:58 pm »
If Ang Lee were asked if he knew that Milos Forman shared the honor of having won the Director's Guild of America Award more than once with him, he would reply "Yes."
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"N" is neighborhood
« Reply #19634 on: April 27, 2009, 10:17:58 pm »
If Ang Lee were asked in 1997 how he has grown as a filmmaker, he would reply: "I started out with three personal films. But what you know about, your neighborhood, can be very limiting, I think. That's why I wouldn't make ten films like that. Because my life growing up was pretty boring, I want to play, I want to stretch, explore. Every time I make a new film now, I think it's going to be a flop, that my number is up, and I like that. I don't want to fall, but I do want to see where the edge is - that's my attitude toward film. But I don't want to be a slave to moviemaking. I'll do what I have to do to make it work, but once a film is done, it's time to move one notch higher. To me, directing is about learning, life is about learning. Learning is not a way of getting your goal - it's the goal itself. It's the texture to life."

Offline Ellemeno

"O" is open-endedness
« Reply #19635 on: April 27, 2009, 11:17:39 pm »
If Ang Lee made a film based on a short story about two ranch hands in love, he would honor the open-endedness of the original story, leaving the ambiguities in place.

=congrats=All Players

Over the last two days, I caught up on two months' worth of ABCs.  My Gosh, you were fantastic - Latin!  Yiddish!  Music videos!  I mustn't absent myself for so long again.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:05:26 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"P" is presenter
« Reply #19636 on: April 28, 2009, 01:17:32 am »
If presenter Tom Hanks announced, "...and the Oscar goes to Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain," director Ang Lee would have big hugs for both his wife, Jane Lin, and co-producer James Schamus before heading to the podium to accept his award.

=aside= Elle
Long time no "C".
Welcome back.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:18:45 am by Fran »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"R" is reasonableness
« Reply #19637 on: April 28, 2009, 09:04:07 am »
If Ang were concerned about the reasonableness of Jack and Ennis's twenty-year commitment, he would "confirm that they commit to the love" and thus include a TS2.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"S" is stronger
« Reply #19638 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:08 am »
If Ang Lee were asked about Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal’s Chemistry Onscreen, he would reply: “The chemistry I pretty much played in my head because nobody sees. I didn’t see it. I just imagined they were a good couple. I cast Heath very much as the short story required. I did something quite different with Jake. In the novel, he is even stronger, bulkier, shorter, very rough. And Jake, of course, is more like a city boy. I think he is a good romantic lead and I think he is a good counterpart to Heath."

=aside= Elle
Good to see you around this neck of the woods.

Offline Ellemeno

"T" is Taiwanese
« Reply #19639 on: April 28, 2009, 11:33:25 am »
If, on March 17, 2009, Taiwanese director Ang Lee had been asked, "clearly, you don't shy away from provocative subjects... when do you plan to bring the story of Taiwan to the screen?" His answer would have been that when he found the right story, he would film it. He would have added, "I hope I don't disappoint you."

During the Q&A session, Taiwanese American author Shawna Yang Ryan, lined up to ask Ang Lee, "clearly, you don't shy away from provocative subjects... when do you plan to bring the story of Taiwan to the screen?" His answer was simply that when he found the right story, he would film it. He added, "I hope I don't disappoint you."
http://spotlight.taiwaneseamerican.org/2009/03/ang-lee-lust-caution-special-screening.html