Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5487960 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"H" is hairpin
« Reply #20290 on: August 20, 2009, 09:41:31 am »
FindingBrokeback.com provides detailed directions to anyone interested in visiting the filming location for the Rifle Scene:

From Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Hwy), take Seebe Exit 114A, pass the “Leaving Bow Valley Provincial Park” sign, cross the bridge, and take an immediate right (hairpin) turn, cross the one-lane bridge and proceed to the first gate.  Walk approximately 1.1 km through the deserted town of Seebe to another gate, then proceed 0.2 km to the top of the hill, cross the cattle guard (“Texas gate”) and turn left.  Pass the two orange posts and then follow the road tracks to the left down to the river. The site is approximately 150 yards to the right (north) of the crest, near the river.

[Alternately, from Buffalo Paddock, turn left (west) onto 1A, proceed 8.8 km, turn left (south) onto 1X, go 2.1 km, turn left at the “Seebe” sign, cross the one-lane bridge, and proceed as above.]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"I" is illustrates
« Reply #20291 on: August 20, 2009, 01:52:15 pm »
Jack’s gift of an expensive firearm illustrates his newfound prosperity and persistence. In rejecting the gift, Ennis underscores the intense financial burdens and family pressures he feels.

--findingbrokeback.com

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"L" is Leaving
« Reply #20292 on: August 20, 2009, 02:34:09 pm »
From FindingBrokeback.com
Travel Directions to The Rifle Scene:
From Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Hwy), take Seebe Exit 114A, pass the “Leaving Bow Valley Provincial Park” sign, cross the bridge, and take an immediate right (hairpin) turn, cross the one-lane bridge and proceed to the first gate.  Walk approximately 1.1 km through the deserted town of Seebe to another gate, then proceed 0.2 km to the top of the hill, cross the cattle guard (“Texas gate”) and turn left.  Pass the two orange posts and then follow the road tracks to the left down to the river. The site is approximately 150 yards to the right (north) of the crest, near the river.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"M" is mingy
« Reply #20293 on: August 20, 2009, 03:13:33 pm »
Jack proved he was anything but mingy when it came to bestowing gifts on his loved one, but Ennis couldn't take advantage of his generosity.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

"N" is nonage
« Reply #20294 on: August 20, 2009, 04:25:38 pm »
The Rifle Scene takes place in 1973; Ennis is still married to Alma, and obviously Alma Jr. and Jenny are still in their nonage.

def. = the period during which one is legally underage
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:54:30 pm by Fran »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"O" is overburdened
« Reply #20295 on: August 22, 2009, 10:30:00 am »
Jack’s gift of an expensive firearm illustrates his newfound prosperity, while Ennis's rejection of the gift underscores how overburdened he is financially and with family pressures.

[paraphrased from findingbrokeback.com]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"P" is Provincial
« Reply #20296 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:24 am »
Travel directions from findingbrokeback.com:  From Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Hwy), take Seebe Exit 114A, pass the “Leaving Bow Valley Provincial Park” sign, cross the bridge, and take an immediate right (hairpin) turn, cross the one-lane bridge and proceed to the first gate.  Walk approximately 1.1 km through the deserted town of Seebe to another gate, then proceed 0.2 km to the top of the hill, cross the cattle guard (“Texas gate”) and turn left.  Pass the two orange posts and then follow the road tracks to the left down to the river. The site is approximately 150 yards to the right (north) of the crest, near the river.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"R" is rag
« Reply #20297 on: August 22, 2009, 11:53:06 am »
Ennis didn't accept Jack's expensive gift partly because he knew Alma would rag on him about it:

You don’t get it. Alma sees this ... You just don’t get it. Alma, me and my shit jobs, then struttin’ home with this in my hands, with her goin’ on about this an’ that we can’t afford for the girls.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"S" is spectacular
« Reply #20298 on: August 22, 2009, 05:21:42 pm »
JACK

I got somethin’ for you too. I was gonna wait till our last morning.

He gets up, opens a duffle bag, finds a package, a long box.

JACK

C’mon.

ENNIS looks tentative. Then opens the box. It’s a spectacular, custom finished hunting rifle.

JACK

That’s gold plate on the back there. See the engraving. Limited edition.
[etc. -- he points out all the features]

ENNIS is stunned.

[script]

Offline Fran

"T" is triple-hinged
« Reply #20299 on: August 23, 2009, 10:53:25 pm »
In this deleted scene, Ennis opens up a long, triple-hinged box and discovers a custom-finished hunting rifle inside, a present from Jack.