Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5489306 times)

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"U" is uncannily
« Reply #21430 on: November 08, 2010, 06:34:46 pm »
"Great films are great films, and great songs are great songs. Oh, I am happy that Gustavo Santaolalla won for his wrenching, spare, and beautiful score of Brokeback. What is it about this music that so uncannily connects with the story? Every pitch, every overtone, every interval seems perfectly matched to the core of the drama. The piece that's called "The Wings" on the soundtrack breaks my heart. As only music can, it carries all the sadness, the loneliness, the longing . . ."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
"W" is wackos
« Reply #21431 on: November 08, 2010, 07:19:05 pm »
Ennis believed that there were a lot of wackos out there willing to jump at the chance of harming him and Jack if they ever got a place of their own.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
Round 891!
« Reply #21432 on: November 08, 2010, 09:02:45 pm »
Round 891!

The "ABCs of Brokeback Mountain" game continues.

Offline Fran

"A" is achingly
« Reply #21433 on: November 08, 2010, 09:05:46 pm »
Seeing the film disturbed me.  I felt that, as the ancient Egyptians had removed a corpse's brain through the nostril with a slender hook before mummification, the cast and crew of this film, from the director down, had gotten into my mind and pulled out images.  Especially did I feel this about Heath Ledger, who knew better than I how Ennis felt and thought, whose intimate depiction of that achingly needy ranch kid builds with frightening power.  It is an eerie sensation to see events you have imagined in the privacy of your mind, and tried hopelessly to transmit to others through little black marks on a page, loom up before you in an overwhelming visual experience.  I realized that I, as a writer, was having the rarest film trip:  my story was not mangled but enlarged into huge and gripping imagery that rattled minds and squeezed hearts.

-- Annie Proulx, "Getting Movied"     

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"B" is belittling
« Reply #21434 on: November 09, 2010, 12:24:35 am »
L.D. thought he was a big shot and was constantly belittling Jack.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"C" is cranky
« Reply #21435 on: November 09, 2010, 01:01:42 am »
Bobby Twist's cranky comments at the dinner table faded quickly after his father advised his grandfather to sit the hell down or he'd knock his ignorant ass into next week.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

"D" is doe-eyed
« Reply #21436 on: November 09, 2010, 10:36:21 am »
"The western has always been the most idyllically homosocial of modes -- and often one concerned with the programmatic exclusion of women. This is hardly a secret and thus the true cowboy love between tight-lipped Ennis and doe-eyed Jack precipitates the not-so-latent theme of early-'70s oaters like The Wild Rovers and The Hired Hand -- not to mention Andy Warhol's hilarious disco western Lonesome Cowboys and its more conventional Hollywood analogue Midnight Cowboy."

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 02:38:15 pm by Fran »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"E" is enacted
« Reply #21437 on: November 09, 2010, 01:14:47 pm »
For Ennis's benefit, Jack enacted his mock-rodeo mating dance. 

Offline Sason

• Bork bork bork
"F" is fiendish
« Reply #21438 on: November 09, 2010, 04:36:45 pm »
Both Jack's and Ennis's fathers showed their idea of manliness to their sons in a fiendish way.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Fran

"G" is guidelines
« Reply #21439 on: November 09, 2010, 05:07:19 pm »
From Wikipedia:

The American Humane Association raised concerns that animals were treated improperly during filming, alleging that sheep were handled roughly and that an elk appeared to have been "shot on cue", suggesting further that the animal was anesthetized for this purpose, violating standard guidelines for animal handling in the film industry.