Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5403926 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"M" is Mandalay
« Reply #22490 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:13 am »
hile attempting to explain why voters chose Crash over Brokeback Mountain, Peter Guber, chairman of Mandalay Pictures, said, "This is a very broad-based] professional organization. When it came down to the craft of filmmaking, I think the academy decided that Ang Lee deserved the director award, but in terms of the themes of the film, they were much more interested in Crash. The membership is older and more conservative than some of those other groups, and I think it was reflected in the choice that they made."

Los Angeles Retains Custody of Oscar

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"N" is Nicole
« Reply #22491 on: March 29, 2012, 12:43:58 am »
hen Idaho State Senator Nicole LeFavour mailed out copies of Ang Lee’s Academy Award winning film, “Brokeback Mountain,” last December, she did so in hopes of helping to educate her fellow lawmakers about the struggles of Idaho’s gay and lesbian community.

One state lawmaker, however, says he was offended.

House Education Committee Chairman Bob Nonini, R-Coeur d’Alene, who is Catholic, tells The Idaho Statesman that he and his wife had just returned from Christmas Eve Mass when they found the DVD in their mailbox.

“Just the timing of receiving it after Christmas Mass was offensive to both my wife and I. We opened it and my wife just immediately resealed it and asked me if I’d just deliver it back to Nicole,” Nanoni tells The Idaho Statesman.

Nonini, who is known for supporting anti-LGBT legislation such as a 2006 bill that would have required a parent’s signature for students to participate in school clubs and activities, rather then allow Gay-Straight Alliance clubs on campus, calls finding the gift, “bad timing.”

“It’s just our religion and our thoughts and our feelings,” he tells the Idaho Statesman.

Nonini might be using his religion as an excuse, however.

In 2006, Catholic Archbishop of San Francisco, George Niederauer called the film,”very powerful.”

Associate Editor Michael Swan of The Catholic Register, Canada’s oldest and largest national weekly Catholic newspaper, wrote: “It’s no accident that the first half of Brokeback Mountain is filled with lush Christian imagery which recalls Jesus the good shepherd.”

Swan added: “When they [the film's main characters] come down off the mountain they return to a world capable of murder, a society that demands lies from those who are different and just about everyone else.”

In a state that continuously refuses to afford its LGBT citizens any sort of rights at all, one can’t help but wonder if Nonini realizes the comparison.

The Idaho Agena

Offline Sason

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
"O" is off-hand
« Reply #22492 on: March 29, 2012, 02:26:57 pm »
hen discussing their future, Ennis told Jack they couldn't live together, but they could meet now and then at an off-hand venue.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
"P" is perse
« Reply #22493 on: March 31, 2012, 03:16:17 pm »
ithout flinching and with Jack's cheek still a perse shade of blue from his scuffle with Ennis the day before, they both took their lumps stoically when Joe Aguirre blasted them for their poor work after coming down the mountain - "you ranch stiffs ain't never no good".
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:06:09 pm by Marina »
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Fran

"R" is request
« Reply #22494 on: March 31, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »
"hen I got Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry's request to option the story for a film with money from their own pockets -- unusual for screenwriters -- I was immediately beset with doubts.  I simply did not think this story could be a film:  it was too sexually explicit for presumed mainstream tastes, the general topic of homophobia was a hot potato unless gingerly skirted, and, given Hollywood actors' reluctance to play gay men (though many gay men have brilliantly played straight guys) it would likely be difficult to find a good cast, not to say a director.  It was only because I trusted Larry's and Diana's writing skills, film experience and, especially, Larry's incomparable knowledge of the west's mores and language that I signed the contract."

-- Annie Proulx, in her essay "Getting Movied"    

Offline Sason

• Bork bork bork
"S" is society
« Reply #22495 on: April 01, 2012, 08:14:19 am »
"hen Ennis turns down Jack's idea of a little C&C operation, it's partly due to his fear of how the surrounding society will react.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
"T" is toothsome
« Reply #22496 on: April 01, 2012, 10:23:49 am »
hile Ennis is warshing everywhere he can reach, Jack tries valiantly to ignore the toothsome picture he presents and keep peeling the potatoes.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"U" is umpire
« Reply #22497 on: April 01, 2012, 08:51:24 pm »

hen the TV situation between Jack and L.D. at Thanksgiving dinner threatened to get out of hand, Lureen briefly attempted to play umpire.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

"W" is west's
« Reply #22498 on: April 01, 2012, 11:45:44 pm »
"hen I got Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry's request to option the story for a film with money from their own pockets -- unusual for screenwriters -- I was immediately beset with doubts.  I simply did not think this story could be a film:  it was too sexually explicit for presumed mainstream tastes, the general topic of homophobia was a hot potato unless gingerly skirted, and, given Hollywood actors' reluctance to play gay men (though many gay men have brilliantly played straight guys) it would likely be difficult to find a good cast, not to say a director.  It was only because I trusted Larry's and Diana's writing skills, film experience and, especially, Larry's incomparable knowledge of the west's mores and language that I signed the contract."

-- Annie Proulx, in her essay "Getting Movied"    

Offline Fran

Round 944!
« Reply #22499 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:58 am »
Round 944!

The letter "X" is next.

Each post will begin with a word that starts with
the letter "X" or the letters "E-X" (only spell it
without the "E") and include an unplayed word.

Fireworks weren't the only things xploding at
the Fourth of July celebration.  So was Ennis's temper.

Xploding fireworks will assist us
with this round, so please be sure to include
the following symbol at the beginning of your post: