Author Topic: Another Brokie's passing  (Read 2974 times)

Marge_Innavera

Another Brokie's passing
« on: August 30, 2010, 10:48:56 am »

A devoted Brokeback fan, Robert Baxter, passed on last week at the age of 69, of pancreatic cancer.  Mr. Baxter had been an arts critic and reporter for the New Jersey-based Courier-Post since 1979.

Of the same generation as Ennis and Jack, Mr. Baxter was one of the Brokies who was inspired to make radical changes, coming out as a gay man rather late in life.  He shared this experience with his readers, telling the story of a journey out of fear and self-doubt, as well as a cherished memory of meeting a real-life Ennis and Jack who managed to have their 'sweet life' despite all the odds.  Posting at the DC forum under the name "Tacitus", Mr. Baxter contributed three entries to the forum's anthology,  "Beyond Brokeback".

After his passing, the Courier-Post printed some of his classic columns.  One, taken from "Beyond Brokeback", told the story of his coming out and what BBM meant to him.

You can imagine, I'm sure, the thrill I felt when I met Bud and Manuel. I was 5, maybe 6, holding onto my grandmother's hand when she introduced her cowboy pals to me at the county fair. When Bud leaned down and shook my little hand, I caught the pungent smell of fresh sweat and stale tobacco.

From their scuffed leather boots to their weathered Stetsons, they looked like real men. Lean, muscular, with big, calloused hands and strong faces, tanned by the sun. The kind of cowboys Marlboro later glorified.
Bud owned a cattle ranch. Manuel was his foreman. They built barbed-wire fences and rode the range together on horseback. They also shared a bed.

Bud and Manuel were gay cowboys even though neither man would have known what that term meant 60 years ago. In those days, gay folk were called queers and homos.

Nobody who knew Bud and Manuel would have dared to ask if they were gay, but everyone sensed Bud belonged to Manuel. They formed an inseparable pair, just like my grandmother's married friends. Somehow, the names of the two men fit together as comfortably as Charlie and Mary or Harry and Alice.

I've thought a lot about Bud and Manuel since I saw Brokeback Mountain. They are long gone, but I wish they were here to share their story with me. How did they forge a relationship in rural California when society -- from our families and churches to our government -- shrieked "No!" or shouted "Don't you dare!"

Read the rest of the column at http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20100827/NEWS01/8270344/Real-life-cowboys-offered-hope-to-young-man-growing-up-gay-in-America

Blog obituary at http://talkingwithcoyotes.blogspot.com/2010/08/another-brokie-passes-away.html

Marge_Innavera

Re: Another Brokie's passing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:50:56 am »
Postscript:

I'm not sure Mr. Baxter was a BetterMost member; there's no "Tacitus" on the members' list.  If anyone knows whether he posted here under another name, please let me know.

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:03:12 am »
Thank you, Marge for sharing his story, letting us be a part of it. I never knew Mr Baxter but I hope he had a good life and lived a life that he wanted.  :-*

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:09:44 pm »
Very uplifting story, especially the part about Bud & Manuel. If only Jack & Ennis could have met those guys...
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:13:19 pm »
Thank you for posting this, Marcia.  It is very inspirational.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 01:14:33 pm »
Thank you, Marge.  I did not know Tacitus, but am glad to hear his story.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:43:26 am »
Here's an obituary published last Friday:

Robert Baxter, 69, of Cherry Hill, performing-arts critic

Robert Baxter, 69, of Cherry Hill, a longtime performing-arts critic whose writing helped advance the South Jersey arts scene and who through the Opera Club amplified interest in opera on both sides of the river, died of pancreatic cancer Wednesday, Aug. 25, at his home.  Sweet and soft-spoken in person, Mr. Baxter was tough and authoritative in writing.

The Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia revoked his free review tickets because of his constant harsh criticism of its shows. And staffers at the Ritz Theatre Company in Haddon Township stuck pins in a stuffed walrus, like a voodoo doll, when Mr. Baxter was critical of shows they thought deserved better press.

Some in local theaters said that although they hadn't always welcomed his reviews, Mr. Baxter was considered an honest and fair critic. "He had a special gift as a critic. . . . He supported the art while critiquing the show. He found a tremendous balance," said Bruce Curless, producing artistic director of the Ritz Theatre Company.

Mr. Baxter was the performing-arts critic for the Courier-Post in Cherry Hill for nearly 30 years. He also wrote for publications around the world, such as Opera Magazine and Opera News.  His articles could make or break a small performing-arts company.  Mr. Baxter's good reviews carried so much weight, said Pamela Brant of the Symphony in C, that the orchestra quoted them in grant applications and promotional materials for members.  "He had a very discerning and critical ear," Brant said. "He was very much a purist."

Mr. Baxter wrote multiple articles when the group, formerly the Haddonfield Symphony, changed its name and moved to Camden. Though he did not like the new name, he "turned the tide for us," Brant said.  

Even in his final reviews, he held local concerts to the highest standards.  Mr. Baxter gave three out of four stars to a 2008 Symphony in C concert for what he called an "uneven concert."  "From the opening measures of the symphony," he wrote in the Courier-Post, conductor Rossen Milanov "coaxed a rich, warm sound from the orchestra. He exploited the textures and colors of Beethoven's music."  Mr. Baxter added: "Milanov exploited the extremes of Weber's overture, but his reading was overemphatic and hard-edged."  After Mr. Baxter retired from the Courier-Post in 2008, Symphony in C gave him its first "forever seat": an aisle seat in a center row of the mezzanine, where he had always sat while doing reviews.

Mr. Baxter founded the Opera Club in 1985 and hosted monthly meetings at the Academy of Vocal Arts in Philadelphia. He brought in renowned singers or directors to speak. Each year the club, which had about 200 members, sponsored a recital.  "He helped fan the flames of lovers of opera," said John Lane of Philadelphia, a longtime club member.

In 2008, Mr. Baxter began teaching opera history and history of singers at the Academy of Vocal Arts. After landing the gig, Brant recalled, he sent her an e-mail simply saying, "Dream job."  As an opera teacher, Mr. Baxter was not only knowledgeable but also inspirational to artists, said Olivia Vote, a mezzo-soprano resident at the Academy of Vocal Arts.  "He would be so excited, and it would make us excited," she said.

Mr. Baxter was born and raised in Merced, Calif. He received a bachelor of arts degree and a doctorate in classics, both from Stanford University.  Shortly after finishing his degrees, Mr. Baxter taught classics at Smith College in Northampton, Mass., for about 10 years. In 1979, he became performing-arts critic at the Courier-Post. He reviewed shows, symphonies, and operas in Philadelphia and South Jersey and traveled all over the world to learn more about the performing arts, Lane said.

"He brought a level of sophistication to our arts coverage," said Phaedra Trethan, a Courier-Post editor. "He had a real unique voice and an authoritative one."

Mr. Baxter has no survivors.  A memorial service will be scheduled at the Academy of Vocal Arts in September.

http://www.philly.com/philly/obituaries/20100827_Robert_Baxter__69__of_Cherry_Hill__performing-arts_critic.html

It would be nice if there are some Brokies in that neck of the woods who could attend the memorial service.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:05:35 am »
Thanks for these articles, Marcia.  It sounds like Robert Baxter was a fine critic and teacher.  We share a love for opera as well as Brokeback.  I'm glad to know about him.  Peace, friend.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:09:36 am »
That is amazing, he was from the same area some of my family was from.

I never spent much time at DC, and it goes to show you never know what your missing. I will have to go back and re read his story int he book.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:43 am »
I'm not especially knowledgeable about opera, but I bet his history lectures were fascinating.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.