Author Topic: What's on your fall must-watch movie list?  (Read 16390 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
What's on your fall must-watch movie list?
« on: September 26, 2010, 04:12:40 pm »
It's time to vote on the fall slate of movies!! You can vote for up to 10 movies. If you want more votes than that, I want your life!! Please also add a comment, about what you think of the upcoming movies or anything else about what you're watching. Thanks, and happy autumn movie going!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: What's on your fall must-watch movie list?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:55:45 pm »
Thanks for starting this, FR! I'm glad to have the chance to keep up with autumn movies. I picked "Easy A," because I've read several glowing reviews, and "Social Network," because it looks good and my kids are really excited about it.

The one I noticed is missing from the poll is "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," the sequel to Oliver Stone's 1987 "Wall Street." I'll definitely see that, though I think the reviews have been only so-so. I rewatched the original movie this summer in anticipation of it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:45:06 pm »
Okay, I added it where your "Other" vote was.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:05:40 pm »
Okay, I added it where your "Other" vote was.  :)

Thank you, although it wasn't my "other" vote. I only realized it after filling out the poll.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:47:02 am »
Of course, I never go to movies anymore  ::)  but I should see Black Swan. The Pennsylvania Ballet is playing it up really big because dancers from the company appear in it. If any of the guys from the company are in the film, I might recognize some familiar faces.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:40:44 pm »
Interesting!! Did you stop going to movies after Brokeback Mountain?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:51:14 pm »
Of course, I never go to movies anymore  ::)  but I should see Black Swan.

LOL, when I first heard of Black Swan, I thought it was based on the book The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (from Wikipedia):

The Black Swan Theory or "Theory of Black Swan Events" was developed by Nassim Nicholas Taleb  to explain: 1) the disproportionate role of high-impact, hard to predict, and rare events that are beyond the realm of normal expectations in history, science, finance and technology, 2) the non-computability of the probability of the consequential rare events using scientific methods (owing to their very nature of small probabilities) and 3) the psychological biases that make people individually and collectively blind to uncertainty and unaware of the massive role of the rare event in historical affairs. Unlike the earlier philosophical "black swan problem", the "Black Swan Theory" (capitalized)  refers only to unexpected events of large magnitude and consequence and their dominant role in history. Such events, considered extreme outliers, collectively play vastly larger roles than regular occurrences.

Admittedly, it doesn't sound all that cinematic.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 11:29:36 am »
Interesting!! Did you stop going to movies after Brokeback Mountain?

No. I have no time for movies anymore. Waste of time to sit in a theater and do nothing but stare at a big screen for two hours.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 11:38:54 am »
LOL, when I first heard of Black Swan, I thought it was based on the book The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

Interesting the differences in frames of reference. When I first heard of the title, my first thought was:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034522/

(Old Tyrone Power movie--which I've enver seen, BTW.)

Then I read that the plot has to do with a ballerina and realized it's clearly a reference to Swan Lake.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 11:55:09 am »
Waste of time to sit in a theater and do nothing but stare at a big screen for two hours.

What would you be doing instead?

I'm the opposite -- movies are my escape. Maybe because when I'm in a theater, I don't feel obliged to do anything but stare at a big screen for two hours.