Author Topic: Do You Believe In U.F.O.s and Extra Terrestrials?  (Read 41430 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Do You Believe In U.F.O.s and Extra Terrestrials?
« on: September 22, 2006, 10:35:43 pm »
A friend and I were driving back home from Fort Benjamin Harrison (an Army base here in Indianapolis. They closed most of it several years  ago) after spending a few hours of checking out some of the cute soldiers stationed there. It was getting pretty dark and it was only a quick 5 minute drive from the Army base to my house. Suddenly we saw a huge "fire ball" fly over the top of my car. It was very bright and just before it flew off into the horizon it stopped and hovered for a few seconds, and then disappeared. When I got home, it was all over the news. People all across central Indiana saw this fire ball and most people also had the sensation that the fire ball had flown directly over them (just as we did). Many Hoosiers also noticed it hovering before it disappeared, and others saw it simply streak across the sky. It was a strange looking too. It was a mixture of different colors. Some people here in Indianapolis continued to talk about it for several months, but most soon forgot all about it.  ???

Are there any fellow Hoosiers here on Bettermost who might remember this strange hovering fireball that streaked over our Indiana skies back in 1979 or 1980? (I can't remember the exact year.)

I have been watching the Travel Channel, and apparently there have been some reports within the past few years of UFO sightings in neighboring Illinois, Michigan and even in Wisconsin.

Has anyone else ever seen a UFO, strange lights in the sky or hovering "fireballs"? If so, do you think they were "extra terrestrial"? Are we being watched? Are we being visited?

Do you even believe such a thing is possible?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
Re: Do You Believe In U.F.O.s and Extra Terrestrials?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 10:48:54 pm »
I remember one night when I was reading the second "Conversations with God" book out loud to my mom, who's kinda interested in such things. We stopped to talk about something we had read and I happened to look up as we were talking. It was a relatively clear night... but there high above me were three red lights arranged in a triangle formation that were silently swooping across the sky. It went behind the chimney where I couldn't see it anymore and disappeared. I immediately looked across at my mother and said "I think I just saw a UFO".

Another time, I was in the audience of a classical recital or something, and I happened to look out the window. There was a bright blue comet-looking thing slowly descending to the earth not very far from where we were. I would have jumped up and gone to see what it was, but I couldn't interrupt the recital.

And then there are those bright color-flashy orb things that I've continued to see since I was 12. They're usually just above the horizon and flicker from red to blue to white. I don't think those are UFO's, but something manmade. I just don't know what. They don't move at all, just flicker.

Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:45:41 pm »
I have never seen a UFO that I remember.  My parents say they did while driving through Ohio in the late 70's/early 80's ... I can't remember for sure.  While I've never seen one I certainly believe that it is possible that they are out there!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 12:40:50 am »
I have never seen a UFO that I remember.  My parents say they did while driving through Ohio in the late 70's/early 80's ... I can't remember for sure.  While I've never seen one I certainly believe that it is possible that they are out there!

That's interesting Amber and Daniel.

For some reason, it seems UFOs often appear in the Midwestern United States. I have also heard reports of people seeing UFOs over in Belgium, Germany and Denmark. Mexico has had a large number of sightings too.

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 05:30:19 am »
Haven't seen one yet, but I definitely believe that it could be possible. Jan-Willem, my boyfriend, has seen one years ago, and no, he was not drunk or drugged!  :)

injest

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 07:05:42 am »
EEEEEEEE!! SCARY THREAD!!!! SCARY THREAD!!!!!

*Jess plugging her ears as she ruuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnsssss out of the thread*

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 02:02:23 pm »
I didn't vote because I don't know what the connotations are.

Do I believe in U.F.O.s?

Do I believe there are flying things that remain unidentified?  Yes, of course.  I don't have to believe.  It's well documented.  Do I believe those unidentified things are ships flying in from other civiliizations from other stars or 4th dimensional intrusions into our 3 dimensional space by beings from another universal plane?  Um, no.  Or at least, I don't believe there is enough proof to say so.

Do I believe in extra terrestrials?  Meteorites are extra-terrestrial.  So is anything that doesn't come from earth.  So yes, that's a no-brainer, it's not a belief.  Do I believe in extra-terrestrials as aliens from other worlds exist?  Yes, the galaxy/universe is a huge huge place.  But it's just my belief.  I have no proof.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 07:00:11 pm by delalluvia »

Dafna

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 04:32:23 pm »
I believe in them. I have never seen a UFO. It would be a very cool but scary thing. I have looked at the stars at night and wondered what in the heck is out there.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 01:41:03 am »
I believe in them. I have never seen a UFO. It would be a very cool but scary thing. I have looked at the stars at night and wondered what in the heck is out there.

Dafna -

Like you, I love to stare at the night sky and wonder. In fact, it is one of my most favorite things to do. Try staring at the starry sky for 15 minutes. I guarantee you will see something interesting! It might not be a flying saucer, but you WILL see something...  a shooting star, a comet or perhaps a strange light. There is always something going on up there.  Do you own a telescope? If you don't, you may want to consider purchasing one. A telescope only enhances the star gazing experience. I have seen so many things while star gazing, and just like you, I always wonder "what the heck is out there!"

A Big Hearty Welcome To Bettermost, Dafna! We're happy you joined our family!   :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 02:37:14 am »
EEEEEEEE!! SCARY THREAD!!!! SCARY THREAD!!!!!

*Jess plugging her ears as she ruuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnsssss out of the thread*

Sorry it scared you Jess.

But.... did you answer the poll  before you ran out of here?  ;)