Author Topic: Do You Believe In U.F.O.s and Extra Terrestrials?  (Read 41548 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Do You Believe In U.F.O.s and Extra Terrestrials?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 05:33:42 pm »
There was an incident in the late 1890s here in Texas I just heard about recently. A UFO came over. Now this was before TV or telephones...and they have newpapers reporting this from Louisiana to Dallas...the thing crashed and the local people buried something in their cemetary. An amateur investigator came and tried to get permission to dig it up. He was thrown out of town and when other people went back the marker over the 'grave' was gone and the gates were padlocked...

They have a picture of the grave marker saying the townspeople had given 'the visitors from the sky' a Christian burial.

That's really interesting.... and spooky!

God. Their choice of words on the grave is even creepy; "the visitors from the sky". Whew! It gives me cold chills.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 07:09:02 pm »
There was an incident in the late 1890s here in Texas I just heard about recently. A UFO came over. Now this was before TV or telephones...and they have newpapers reporting this from Louisiana to Dallas...the thing crashed and the local people buried something in their cemetary. An amateur investigator came and tried to get permission to dig it up. He was thrown out of town and when other people went back the marker over the 'grave' was gone and the gates were padlocked...

They have a picture of the grave marker saying the townspeople had given 'the visitors from the sky' a Christian burial.

It's the incident in Aurora, Texas.  No one knows if it really happened or was just a hoax.  The History Channel did a special on it.  Story goes something like this:

the residents saw what they called an 'airship' drifting low over the town and it hit a windmill belonging to a local judge and blew up.  The residents all ran over and found one dead person.  They gave him a Christian burial and tossed the wreckage from his airship down a well that was later filled in or covered up.

However, looking a little deeper, the judge in question on whose property the airship hit his windmill, never had a windmill.  The town was slowly losing citizens and might have tried a stunt to bring attention to the town.  Despite such a momentous event, the story - and it was written by a known practical joker - once it ran in the town's newspapers was never mentioned again.

And of course, the whole story begs the question of how a space ship, capable of traveling millions of light years at fantastic speeds, would blow up when it hit some rickety structure like a windmill when not traveling at a fast speed at all.

It's a great story, but there're a lot of holes in it.   

injest

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 09:12:54 pm »
I bow to your greater knowledge of course; Delalluvia....I thought we were just having fun and telling stories.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 11:01:01 pm »
Okay. I wish people wouldn't ask this question in the same way they ask a child if they believe in Santa Claus. Kinda puts it on that level.

My opinion: much more likely than not that we have been or are being visited. I love a good UFO show--and a lot of people interviewed have pointed out that their eyewitness testimony would stand up in court, but when it comes to UFOs suddenly their credibility disappears. Unfortunately it's so far out of our ability to comprehend people just dismiss the idea. Too bad for them.

The scariest? The movie Fire in the Sky . . . try watching that alone at home late at night . . . :)
I read the guy's book afterward--totally convincing . . . .

I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 11:39:19 pm »
Okay. I wish people wouldn't ask this question in the same way they ask a child if they believe in Santa Claus. Kinda puts it on that level.

What do you mean? How can this question be on the same level as Santa Claus? People have wondered about UFOs and life on other planets for centuries... maybe even for millenniums.

Santa Claus is real. 

;)

moremojo

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 10:59:40 am »
Yes, I believe in UFO's as a paranormal phenomenon. I believe because of the preponderance of eyewitness accounts from sane, reasonable people who would have no ulterior motive to make these stories up. A former boyfriend of an aunt of mine saw a long cigar-shaped object hover under a tree in a field once, to lift up and fly away just moments later. The brother and uncle of a friend of mine once reported seeing round, red objects circle around radio towers many times. My mother woke one night, when I was about twelve, to see a little man, dressed in blue with a scowling expression on his face, standing by her bed and looking at her. Though terrified, she could not move, and eventually fell back into unconsciousness. Years later, reading about abduction experiences, she came to believe that she had had a similar encounter that night.

There was one night, not too many years ago, when my sister and I were driving back home from visiting our uncle, a few miles outside our home town. There was a heavy rainstorm, with the clouds very low and the rain pounding. As we were going down the highway, all of a sudden we saw a flash, as if lightning had just streaked above us. That was alarming enough, but when I looked to my left, towards the open field, I saw a green circular light glowing next to a tree. We passed by too suddenly for me to get a really good look, and it occurred to me that perhaps lightning had struck some vegetation there and had ignited something, causing the green glow. But I couldn't help but wonder, due to the strangeness of the sight, if it were something beyond the bounds of scientific explanation.

Just some stories to share, to illustrate better why I believe.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:06:46 pm by moremojo »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 09:34:42 pm »
I was watching Fox News earlier today and I saw something pop up on the screen and I couldn't believe what it said. Around 12:30 pm today a small message appeared which read: "FOX NEWS ALERT. NASA Officials Invistigating Large Object Detected Near Earth" That is all it said. The Fox News Alert message was only visible on the TV screen for about 3 or 4 seconds and then disappeared. In addition, they didn't play the little sound effect (the BONG! sound) normally used at the beginning of a news alert. I never saw the message again and they never did discuss it on Fox News, nor (to my knowledge) was it ever discussed on CNN or MSNBC.

But I KNOW I saw it.

Did anyone hear about this today? Does anyone know anything about it? I wonder if, just as the news was breaking, the U.S. Government instructed the media not to cover the story.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 09:53:15 pm »
David,

I don't know if this is the same thing but a rocket was launched in New Mexico today and ended up malfunctioning and crashed to the earth. This is the link to the Fox story.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,215642,00.html

Maybe???
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 10:08:31 pm »
David,

I don't know if this is the same thing but a rocket was launched in New Mexico today and ended up malfunctioning and crashed to the earth. This is the link to the Fox story.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,215642,00.html

Maybe???

It could be. It looks like this accident occurred about the same time I saw the message on the tv. I wonder why Fox News only reported it on their website and not on television? It could be the same thing. It probably is.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!  :D

injest

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 10:26:14 pm »
speaking of the news covering up things...I know I saw a Fed Ex truck that blew up in a northern state...They showed the truck, the cabin and the first third of the trailer perfect the last 2/3 of the truck disintegrated....papers everywhere...

never saw it again...but later on the news they reported a FedEx truck caught fire and burned up...ummm...nooooo...there was no fire...

so yeah the government does hide things...censor them...

this was right after Sept 11..