Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Remake?  (Read 23599 times)

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Brokeback Mountain Remake?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 12:01:20 am »
Cellar Dweller,

I see your point from a creative point of view... or from "business" point of view (Hollywood always exploiting old ideas for money's sake, rarely creating something truly new). But i think from the point of view of CRAFT of acting, movie directing, screenplay writing it is always a nice challenge to do pick up a classic and make an own version of it. It's not copying in that way, but a way of expressing one's own interpretation. Brokeback Mountain was a beautifully crafted masterpiece. Surely, i don't know, but i assume there are lots of actors / directors who think they should have done it (if they are really into challenges and exploring their craft).

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 10:20:04 pm »
I don't think a BBM remake could work.

Usually, a movie made based off of literature has some big differences from the  story.   This time, the screenplay was pretty true to the story.  I think a remake would have to move away from the book, and then it would be so different, it wouldn't be BBM anymore.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Rosestem

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 02:24:16 pm »
There are a few "remakes" out there:
  • The opera with libretto by Annie Proulx - has a different take on a few things, most of which I didn't like.
    On YouTube, you can find acting students playing the "I don't know how to quit you" scene and the pre-reunion scene, putting emphasis in different places from the movie version. Some are really good.
Here I will commit a huge sacrilege and say that what I would like to see is a sequel -- Ennis coming to terms with himself and having a happier ending that we were left with. I know most will disagree, vehemently!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 09:34:08 pm »
I'm not sure that would happen.   Ennis as we know him, is pretty much a loner and rather closed off to change.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 05:03:50 pm »
BBM-victim, I get what you're saying about doing a remake from a creative point of view, to let someone else craft their own interpretation.

Personally, I'm not interested in it. To me, BBM as we know it is perfect, and I don't care about other people's creative interpretations.

I want to watch it exactly as it is, I don't want to compare different versions to each other.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 01:17:44 pm »
Here's a scene of the remake:  "Brokeback Bollywood".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN6MaNtKtI0[/youtube]

Jack:  "I tell you, this is a goddamn tikka masala of an unsatisfactory situation.  You used to come away easy.  Now, it's like seeing Madonna."

Offline IrvingSer

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 03:14:06 am »
BBM-victim, I get what you're saying about doing a remake from a creative point of view, to let someone else craft their own interpretation.

Personally, I'm not interested in it. To me, BBM as we know it is perfect, and I don't care about other people's creative interpretations.

I want to watch it exactly as it is, I don't want to compare different versions to each other.

A brokeback mountain 2 would be good but is this movie really old enough for a remake?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 02:16:32 pm by IrvingSer »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 05:42:05 pm »
I don't think there will be a sequal or remake.

Offline Corax

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 03:43:03 pm »
Oh, I hope there will be no remake of BBM! IMO the movie is perfect the way it is.

I once read that P. Almodovar would have included more and extended sex scenes in the movie. Sure that would appeal to many people...  ;D but for me there aren't any other actors  I see fit to play Ennis and Jack. Because for me JG and HL are Ennis and Jack. It's that simple.

BTW I think there were  too many remakes produced at Hollywood lately. It's all for the money, that's quite clear. A movie that made a lot of money in 2005 and became kind of a "milestone" will probably make a lot of money again. It's probably a safe bet (in terms of money), Ok, but do you know any example of a remake that has really worked (in terms of art/craft)?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 08:23:22 pm »
BTW I think there were  too many remakes produced at Hollywood lately.

I certainly will agree with you on this!