Author Topic: The Twists' living room and the paintings of Vilhelm Hammershoi  (Read 60756 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: The Twists' living room and the paintings of Vilhelm Hammershoi
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 03:39:37 pm »
I imagine these clothes brush holders were very common, even in the country.  Even though it is a modest home, the Twists aren't slovenly.  They are both neatly dressed.  Don't forget, Ma Twist would want to brush her clothes before going to church.  

You may be right. But even so, compared to so many other things they are apparently lacking, a clothes brush holder doesn't seem to be something really necessary.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »
Chrissi, are you sure it's cleaning utensils? I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't look like cleaning utensils to me. And would they be kept in the living room when there's a guest?

I'd say it was fire wood. Only thing is, I don't know if there's a stove in the room.

Looks like firewood to me, too.  Makes sense; a house like that would certainly have a fireplace or wood-burning stove.  Hence, the match holder.

Here's a sad little video:  

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMpeAR0mbGM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 03:41:59 pm »
You may be right. But even so, compared to so many other things they are apparently lacking, a clothes brush holder doesn't seem to be something really necessary.

Anyone who has been to Wyoming knows how dusty it is!  Definitely necessary!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 03:43:44 pm »
If I should mention some farmers perspective on this subject, I must say this thing with the brushes is a very common thing to have on a farm. My grandparents use to have brushes hanging just inside the door. So you could brush boots, cloths and hats. They had two brushes one for the cloths and one for the hats. The reason why is you don´t wanna bring in to much dirt in the house and brushed cloths look better then unbrushed cloths.

Ok, here we have some expertise on the matter!

Maybe they are actually more common in the country than in town?

Are you saying your grandparents used the brushes before they entered the house, rather than before they left?

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 03:49:19 pm »
Looks like firewood to me, too.  Makes sense; a house like that would certainly have a fireplace or wood-burning stove.  Hence, the match holder.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMpeAR0mbGM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

OMG, I'd forgotten about that one!   Who took it?  The proof of my criminal activity.....   8)

Anyway, the big hole in the upper left part of the wall, could very well be where the pipe from the stove lead to the chimney.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 03:50:02 pm »

Yeah, isn´t it sad?
If I were a millionaire, I would restore it.

But I guess it adds a touch of realism to it. There is a probably a big chance that this is what would have happened to the Twist ranch since their only child died so early. There would have been nobody to keep the place going.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 03:55:02 pm »

Yeah, isn´t it sad?
If I were a millionaire, I would restore it.

But I guess it adds a touch of realism to it. There is a probably a big chance that this is what would have happened to the Twist ranch since their only child died so early. There would have been nobody to keep the place going.

True that. But I don't think the state of the house is due only to natural decline. It looked vandalized too. Like the big whole in the door, and the hole in the wall that's visible in the video.

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2010, 03:56:39 pm »
Ok, here we have some expertise on the matter!

Maybe they are actually more common in the country than in town?

Are you saying your grandparents used the brushes before they entered the house, rather than before they left?

I think they had two different set of brushes. One for the beautiful cloths and one for the ordernary cloths. And the beautiful cloths they brushed before they left home, and the old rags they brushed before the went inside the house, for a break or something.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2010, 03:58:24 pm »
I think they had two different set of brushes. One for the beautiful cloths and one for the ordernary cloths. And the beautiful cloths they brushed before they left home, and the old rags they brushed before the went inside the house, for a break or something.

That makes a whole lot of sense.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2010, 04:01:40 pm »
OMG, I'd forgotten about that one!   Who took it?  
the person with the bad English accent you hear in the video.  Me that is. ::)