Author Topic: A GREAT SADNESS the Classical Allusions thread has been deleted from IMDB Board  (Read 9171 times)

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
It is no more.

Since most everyone here had something to contribute to the fantastic, exhillarating, intellect-expanding time we
shared with the Classical Allusions thread on IMDB, I thank you for all of your input as all of us helped each other to a greater understanding, appreciation and awe for the miracle that is the film of Brokeback Mountain.

BUT, it was deleted today.
It was devastating to open an e-mail notice of a recent reply to the thread and see all 560+ entries now reduced to a list of 'post deleted' indications.
  stichbuffymoulin fan was the last contributor, apparently, but I have no idea what they said.
If you're 'listening' would you be able to share with all of us, what the last official post to the Classical Allusions thread might have been?

I am in mourning for all of our work and for what this says about the present state of the IMDB Brokeback Board.
I am of the mind, if I become more spiteful, to delete my account and all trace of my posts from there.

I know that many of you have saved the Classical Allusions thread in various caches.  I saved it to CD myself as well, but it would be helpful if anyone who's saved some of the best threads from IMDB to let us know where they might be found to guide future acolytes who might want to enjoy that wonder of a thread which we all created.

I feel a great sadness.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:43:29 am by Casey Cornelius »
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
That is very tragic news, Casey...a great loss...I have some of that thread saved (initial posting thru maybe two weeks ago?) in a text file.  You or other, more active posters probably have more recent versions.  By the way, I shared the posts about the Chinese symbolism with someone at work today who expressed an interest.

My condolences to the IMDB regulars...

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
 :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
I am sad that it will not be there for new comers once the DVD hit the market. but if it's any consolation, I archived the thread as of March 21st.

http://nipith.com/bbm_threads/ClassicalAllusions.html
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
I am really saddened by this.  Many of you know that "Classical Allusions" was a thread that I championed on IMDB.  I am glad that Starboardlight archived it.

And Casey, if you have a more current version, please give us a link to it here.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Casey, hug.

Phillip has offered (not sure of the technically right word) a place to keep files.  A team of archivists could do that.  It could be the repository - or rather, I suppose, A repository of our beloved wisdom and humor.

I am so glad you are here, Casey, whenever you want to come.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Casey, I mourn with you.  That thread was what kept me at imdb instead of going to the Dave Cullen site.  I never regretted it one bit.

It's very sad indeed that ignorance and cruelty can't seem to resist destroying what they can't understand.  :'(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Casey-so sad.

That thread was the one the began my IMDb addiction-so, of course, I saved it. Nipith, yours is more up to date so would you repost it on TOB? It meant so much to me I would hate for other devotees to miss out on all that wisdom.

Heathen

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
casey I think you should repost your original text on the IMDB board. and keep reposting if it gets deleted. I know that's a pain, but I think someone will read it and get benefit from it still.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
starboardlight, roux, et al:

If someone could instruct me as to how I could go about re-posting it, I would be delighted to undertake the labor, even if having it deleted from time to time would be akin to Prometheus having his constantly rejuvenated liver devoured by the IMDB Brokeback Board trolls and vultures.

I saved the Classical Allusions thread to CD [ as indicated above ] two days ago -- so if someone has an idea of how to repost it from that source I would be grateful.  I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to transferring files intact.
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...