Author Topic: A GREAT SADNESS the Classical Allusions thread has been deleted from IMDB Board  (Read 9063 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
I have it saved at work. Tomorrow if it isn't back over there, I'll post it.

Ruby

Heathen

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
Oh, no! The greatest thread of all has fallen...

It might be a Sisyphus' work to repost it, with the trolls lurking around, but I think it would be a great thing anyway. I have saved it on my computer, but my Microsoft Office's promotonal offer has expired and I cannot copy/edit anything until I pay the bandits $145 to renew it... All I can do is read it.

"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
starboardlight, roux, et al:

If someone could instruct me as to how I could go about re-posting it, I would be delighted to undertake the labor, even if having it deleted from time to time would be akin to Prometheus having his constantly rejuvenated liver devoured by the IMDB Brokeback Board trolls and vultures.

I saved the Classical Allusions thread to CD [ as indicated above ] two days ago -- so if someone has an idea of how to repost it from that source I would be grateful.  I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to transferring files intact.

oh, I mean just create a new topic on IMDB, put in the same title, and copy and paste your text into the body. and just let it evolve again from there. Perhaps a new set of replies will bring new insights. On the bright side, we've said how large it was and it was getting cumbersome to open, because of it. So maybe we see this as the troll doing us a favor, cleaning up the thread and allowing us to re-examine the insights with new posts.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm a brokie and proud of it!
I'm sorry as well Casey - one of my absolute favorite threads and I agree with everyone, it was the initial reason to get on to the Imdb boards. The board is in a sad state now. I'm amazed that such amazing threads can be deleted while ridiculous threads started by trolls still remain on the board.   :'(

And Nipith - thank you for the archives.

Lots of love,
Reanna
I had a lovers quarrel with the world - Robert Frost.

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
This points out to me the one problem with our little hidden "Shangri-La" here at Bettermost.net - an absence of new blood, uninvited, to add to the wonder and admiration of film and story.  For those of us who often or occasionally (me) go back to the "regular" BBM board, the ongoing troll situation there means there's really no chance of discovering "new" devotees who could add new insights, at least at this point.  I do have the feeling that the DVD will present a new opportunity for other folks to be exposed to the film and they will want to meet in cyberspace and talk about it, because their families and friends won't understand, and they'll be desperate to be anywhere other than Lightning Flat . . . oops, got carried away, for a moment . . . so I applaud Casey and anyone else who is willing to go back and keep posting the threads which can help the "next" generation of BBM lovers understand their situation.  I am very interested to see if on DVD the same sort of "getting under your skin" will happen as happened to so many of us . . .
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

vkm91941

I do encourage you all to go out onto the Better Most boards and explore the other forums, introduce yourselves and  make new friends.  They're not exactly newbies but they are new to us.  Who knows what kind of lovely posts you all may stumble upon

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
That is just criminal but surely we have it archived. That is one thread that needs to be published!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Casey,
Your thread brought me in.

As Clive said to Maurice (and Ennis said to Jack), "I would have gone through life half-awake if you'd had the decency to leave me alone."

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
This points out to me the one problem with our little hidden "Shangri-La" here at Bettermost.net - an absence of new blood, uninvited, to add to the wonder and admiration of film and story.  For those of us who often or occasionally (me) go back to the "regular" BBM board, the ongoing troll situation there means there's really no chance of discovering "new" devotees who could add new insights, at least at this point.  I do have the feeling that the DVD will present a new opportunity for other folks to be exposed to the film and they will want to meet in cyberspace and talk about it, because their families and friends won't understand, and they'll be desperate to be anywhere other than Lightning Flat . . . oops, got carried away, for a moment . . . so I applaud Casey and anyone else who is willing to go back and keep posting the threads which can help the "next" generation of BBM lovers understand their situation.  I am very interested to see if on DVD the same sort of "getting under your skin" will happen as happened to so many of us . . .

I have sort of stopped promoting BetterMost all over the place in part to try and keep the trolls from being attracted over here, so I am sort of counting on the users here to perhaps watch for the committed new devotees and PM them about this place.  Eventually I'll resume publicity, but probably not on IMDb as much.  I have the conflict of trying to grow the site and not put a spotlight on it for trolls, so I have to count on users to help out on IMDb.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
roux, starboardlight, ellemeno and the whole gang:

I've taken starboardlight's advice and reposted the original Classical Illusions topic on the IMDB board.
It's time for the 'new generation' of those excited by the film approaching the IMDB board for the first time to know that there is the possibility of rewarding approaches to the film other than the trollish and insulting thrash which seems to be half of that board right now.  I still have nostalgic feelings for the time when all of us were excited and contributed insightful replies to each other's posts.
If it garners some new insights and replies from the newcomers to that site, perhaps we can use  their replies as an indication of whether they could be invited here to Bettermost.

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...