Author Topic: The L Word: Any fans out there?  (Read 85854 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The L Word: Any fans out there?
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2007, 01:07:54 pm »
Hey Amanda ..

My 3-pack dvds have arrived!!!  :D  Hurray!

Now, let's talk show times ..  8)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2007, 06:45:41 am »
Howdy ladies!

Amanda ~ I am almost done watching Season 1 entirely ..  :D
What can I say .. I am so happy I got the DVDs ..*sigh*   8)

In case you gals are interested ..
I added 3 more L-Word fanpix to the LW collection on my site..
You can check them out here ..   :)

Night!

~M

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2007, 08:47:07 pm »
Hey M!

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying watching the 1st Season!   :D  I'll get busy and start re-watching it myself.  Maybe since you've just watched a bunch of it and it's still fresh for you, you could suggest a few discussion topics/ questions.  I'll suggest some too once I've watched it again (I'll probably be done by Friday night or Saturday- I'll keep you posted).

I still think it would be fun to wrangle up a discussion group!

cheers
Amanda
 :-*
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2007, 09:47:46 pm »
I still think it would be fun to wrangle up a discussion group!

Me too!  So come one L-Word lovers!  Let's get to it!  8)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2007, 02:27:04 pm »
Okay .. an idea for discussion, Amanda ..  ;)

- Jenny's "coming out" process / her relationship with Marina.

Jenny is a very complex character and over the series, we have seen her go through all kinds of experiences.
It was interesting to start from Season 1 and see how things started for her in LA and how the relationships she had affected her growth as a character through the following seasons.  So I thought The Life of Jennifer Schecter is a place we could start our discussions.   :)

More ideas?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2007, 11:50:04 pm »
Heya,

These seem like great topics.  It's interesting that Jenny is such a focus in the first season.  The audience is positioned through a lot of it to sort of experience the gay scene through her inexperienced eyes.  It's an interesting choice on the part of the writers, etc.  There's clearly no real, singular protagonist in a group show like this.  But, it's always felt like she is really foregrounded for a while (and then recedes in some later seasons).  Marina is an interesting factor... she's such a difficult character and it's interesting to see how they portray Jenny's attraction for her develop. Obviously they click on an intellectual level, but one of my favorite things about Jenny's newfound attraction to Marina is that it seems to be so physcial.  She seems to really like to look at Marina (from a distance, etc.).  She likes to watch her walk around, move about in the restaurant, etc..  Jenny seems proud to be the object of attraction from a woman as beautiful as Marina too.  For some reason, I found this aspect of their initial attraction really refreshing and real.  It's interesting just how much of an observer Jenny is... her seeming love for observing Marina and at the very beginning we catch her watching Shane and the girl in the pool.  Interesting.

A lot of the first season (from the perspective of the Jenny character) seems to be about her struggle about identifying as either bisexual or lesbian.  Yeah, Jenny is definitely one of the most complex characters.

:)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2007, 05:34:35 pm »
Hey Amanda ..

You have really summed up The Life of Jenny Schecter amazingly!  :D

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Jenny's physical attraction to Marina was undeniable.  I bet she felt like whenever they were together, she was on a slippery slope, helpless and unable to stop herself from falling.  Marina seemed to enjoy the effect she had on Jenny .. I think she always knew when Jenny's eyes followed her around the room.  Interesting too that she ending up falling for Jenny herself - although she always gave the impression that everything was under control.  Do you think she loved Jenny?  I think she did towards the end, when she realised how miserable she was with her girlfriend taking off to work all the time and keeping her on a very short leash.  Very interesting, the way things turned out.  :)

Can we talk about Shane now?  ;D
I was none too thrilled when she started that affair with Cherie .. I can't stand that woman! lol

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2007, 01:02:19 am »
Well, yes, I would almost always rather talk about Shane than Jenny.  I mean I find Jenny interesting, but a little too gloomy.  It's interesting how even really early on the writers position Shane as the woman that no one can resist.  And this seems to really carry over to L Word fans too.  There truly is something about Shane's attitude and look that's hard to resist.  Beyond this, I think a lot of the first season for Shane is about setting her up to be a "player".   And, maybe as a side note to this, we're supposed to learn a little bit about how hard her life has been growing up.  I like how in one of the early episodes a woman in a restaurant says she thinks Shane looks like a rock star (do you know the scene I'm talking about?).  I think this is really a good description of her.  Not only is she glamourous in a grungy sort of way, but she's also unattainable (like a rock star is). 

Yup, Shane is definitely hot.
 :-*

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2007, 02:34:21 am »
I could go on about Shane forever ..  :P
For now, I better get to bed .. more tomorrow Amanda!  :-*

~M

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2007, 01:31:40 pm »
Okay, where was we?  8)
Ah yes..SHANE ..

Once again Amanda, I second everything you said on the subject.

Shane is far from perfect, in fact in the first season, we see some of the things she can get up to..  ;) .. She loves the ladies.  Well, loves them and leaves them, anyway.  Remember the young woman who took it upon herself to "expose" Shane's shenanigans to the whole world? lol .. She printed flyers, was handing them out on the street, telling people to keep their daughters away from Shane.  That was funny.  When Shane confronted her, it was only a matter of minutes before she changed her tune and fell for Shane all over again. 

I am rambling ..
I guess my point is:  Shane is charismatic, she is gorgeous, she has a wicked sense of style, and like you said Amanda - she is unattainable.  They say people want what they can't have, right?  Is there any wonder she is a babe magnet?  8)

I loved Carmen and Shane together - they made a very sexy couple.  I think Carmen was the second person she fell in love with .. (after that Cherie woman broke her heart ..) .. They were cute together ..

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:23:47 pm by Lucise »