Author Topic: The L Word: Any fans out there?  (Read 85849 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The L Word: Any fans out there?
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2007, 07:56:09 pm »
Good for you Amanda!
Amazon has not shipped my order yet!  ::)
I'll keep you posted!  :)

~M

p/s:  You don't have to wait on my account.  If you can't bear it, please start watching and ... make a night of it too!  8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2007, 08:14:33 pm »
Good for you Amanda!
Amazon has not shipped my order yet!  ::)
I'll keep you posted!  :)

~M

p/s:  You don't have to wait on my account.  If you can't bear it, please start watching and ... make a night of it too!  8)

Hey Bud,

Well, here's my situation... I have a busy weekend coming up and I'm not planning on watching the L Word DVDs tonight... so I can wait for a while. And, I'm going to be away on a business trip all next week (and away from BetterMost during that time too).  I'll be away from Sunday afternoon until the evening of Friday, Nov. 2.  I'll probably really want to watch it that weekend (of Nov. 3rd), so maybe by then you'll have your copies.

cheers!
Amanda

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2007, 12:40:10 am »

Have fun on your trip, girl!

soon,
~M

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2007, 02:54:44 pm »

Doing a bump with some of my fave Dana fanart! 

~Lucise  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2007, 05:06:50 pm »
Hey M!

I'm back from my long NYC sojourn.  So, do you have your DVDs yet? I think I'm going to watch the first episode (or more) of Season 4 tonight or tomorrow! Yeehaw.  It'll be fun to have a discussion about all of this.
:)

Amanda

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2007, 05:40:05 pm »
I got my DVDs at last!
I got a couple of things going on this week, so I may be behind on starting the discussion.
I'll come right here to report when I have done so though.  :)

~M

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2007, 11:03:13 pm »
Hey Milli! (I see you're back to Lucise these days 8) )!

So, I watched the first dvd today! 

Getting to the point of actually watching has been an ordeal... not long after my dvds arrived my dvd player completely broke.  It all of a sudden wouldn't load discs or spin the discs (as far as I could tell).  I had a heart-stopping moment when I thought my Brokeback dvd was completely stuck or jammed in there.  But, I got it out after some wrestling. phew! 

Anyway, so today I went to Target and bought a new dvd player... which are amazingly cheap these days!  I got one for $35!! 

So... here are a few of my impressions so far... disc 1 has 3 episodes on it...

**Spoilers**

First of all I really miss Dana... it's weird to watch the show without her character.  And, I also really miss Carmen... so far at least she's not in this season.  I think the actress got a new gig.  I'm not a fan of Shane's new dilemma of having to take care of her brother.   It's interesting, because clearly the writers are pushing Shane to become more responsible following the Carmen fiasco... but, having the brother around hampers Shane's style.  That said, she's still one of my all-time favorite characters and remains insanely sexy and hot.
 :P 8)

There's a new character introduced named Papi, who's positioned as Shane's main rival as #1 player.  It's actually pretty funny and the Papi character actually is also really sexy (I think).  In episode 3 there's a whole cowgirl-themed party in which there's a funny little dream-sequence where Shane and Papi have a little imaginary duel.  It's very funny... especially how Shane reacts to the whole rivalry thing.  I was actually bracing myself for a Brokeback reference during the cowgirl-party.  But, there never was one.

Jenny is still a mess.  So far this season her character is being annoying and very self-centered (at least in my opinion).  Marina makes a brief re-appearance, which is kind of nice.  I really like that actress.  Although, I could never really buy that Marina would have been all that into Jenny.

I think the main drama of the season will be about Bette and Tina, not surprisingly.  Tina is still trying to build a life with a boyfriend, causing all sorts of tension with all her lesbian friends and of course tension over the baby.  I wonder if Bette and Tina will get back together.  I sort of think they will... I get the sense that Tina is already feeling out-of-place in the straight world as demonstrated by the really awkward party that she throws with her boyfriend.

And, Max is still there in this season and seems to be adjusting better to his transition. And, he has a new girlfriend. But, Max has not told this new girlfriend (I'm forgetting her name) that he's an ftm transsexual... so of course that's where the drama will come in.  I'm glad that Jenny explained to Max why it's impossible for the two of them to date anymore.  Near the beginning of episode 1, Max still wants to work things out with Jenny.  But, it was a real relief to hear Jenny clearly explaining that she's a lesbian and interested in dating women, while Max is/ wants to be a straight man and wants a straight girlfriend and therefore the two of them will never match up again. It was a really interesting conversation... and Jenny's best moment so far this season.

And, Alice is getting to have some fun so far, which is really nice given all the heavy drama she had to deal with for Dana, etc. recently.  I love Alice and I hope something works out for her.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:50:21 am by atz75 »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2007, 06:04:30 pm »
Hey Amanda!

I only just saw your recent post!  :D

I still have to go back to the first three eps as I mentioned earlier.  Cant wait.

There's a new character introduced named Papi, who's positioned as Shane's main rival as #1 player.  It's actually pretty funny and the Papi character actually is also really sexy (I think).  In episode 3 there's a whole cowgirl-themed party in which there's a funny little dream-sequence where Shane and Papi have a little imaginary duel.

That scene made me LOL.  It was so silly and fun to watch.  Papi kept trying to get into Shane's business, but Shane didn't give her the pleasure of 'rising to the occasion' by acknowledging the fact that she has 'major competition'.  :)

Jenny is still a mess.  So far this season her character is being annoying and very self-centered (at least in my opinion).

My thoughts exactly.  There were a few occasions when I welcomed the thought of hitting her over the head with my remote control, but alas.. ;D
Mia K. does a great job of making Jenny such a painful mess.  I love her for it.   :)

How about we get the ball rolling on the new characters.  What do you think of them?  We touched on this subject earlier, but I thought I'd bring it here.  I'll start with Phyllis:

Phyllis is Bette's boss at the university — a well-respected member of the academic community and devoted wife to an equally successful husband, Leonard, with whom she shares two college-aged daughters. It's a seemingly idyllic life picture and one that abruptly changes when Phyllis comes out as a lesbian and turns to Bette and her friends for guidance in finding love and dealing with the loss of the family life she once knew. [sho.com]

I really like Cybill Shepherd and I loved to see her added to the cast of the show. 
Phyllis goes out on the town one night and runs into Bette and the gang..that is when she meets Alice.  She quickly became very smitten with her (understandably  ;) ) .. their liaison is fun for a while until Phyllis starts to come on too strong for Alice's liking.  Then enter ... Tasha8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2007, 09:17:56 pm »
How about we get the ball rolling on the new characters.  What do you think of them?  We touched on this subject earlier, but I thought I'd bring it here.  I'll start with Phyllis:

Phyllis is Bette's boss at the university — a well-respected member of the academic community and devoted wife to an equally successful husband, Leonard, with whom she shares two college-aged daughters. It's a seemingly idyllic life picture and one that abruptly changes when Phyllis comes out as a lesbian and turns to Bette and her friends for guidance in finding love and dealing with the loss of the family life she once knew. [sho.com]

I really like Cybill Shepherd and I loved to see her added to the cast of the show. 
Phyllis goes out on the town one night and runs into Bette and the gang..that is when she meets Alice.  She quickly became very smitten with her (understandably  ;) ) .. their liaison is fun for a while until Phyllis starts to come on too strong for Alice's liking.  Then enter ... Tasha8)

Heya,

It's a good idea to analyze the new characters a bit.

I've now watched the whole season (it's amazing how fast a whole season can go by when you have all the dvds lined up and ready to go).  So, my impressions will be flavored by an overall impression.

I was skeptical about the Cybill Shepherd/ Phyllis character at first.  But, I grew to really love her.  There's something very endearing about that character... and I can't quite articulate why I ended up really liking her... something about her role discovering herself and discovering the lesbian community, etc. was really charming.  And, I love that she loves Allice (even if she did get a little obsessive).  I think Alice is so wonderful and I truly hope there's some great, happy ending for that character.

I'm glad you brought up Tasha... because she was immediately appealing and intriguing to me.  As a very introverted, military person who is very concerned about "being found out", she reminds me of the closest thing to an Ennis-character that the L-Word has yet produced.  It's really charming to see Alice make her smile and loosen up (at rare moments) in the exact same way that it's charming to watch Jack get Ennis to loosen up.  The parallels between these characters are certainly not precisely exact (of course)... but I do think comparisons here are warranted.

So what do you think of Shane's new blond girlfriend.... ? :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2007, 10:48:27 pm »

So what do you think of Shane's new blond girlfriend.... ? :)

Hey Amanda!  :)

What do I think about Paige?

Well, she seems like a strong woman and a good mom to her kid.  I think she fell for Shane the moment she saw her (like many others have done).   :)  Overall, I like that character.  I especially loved it when she got Shane to go with her to Shey's school to give a talk on tolerance.  I am not quite sure, however, about their getting a house and moving in together just yet.  You made a very good point when you said that Shane does not seem to have adequately handled the way things ended with Carmen last season.   This might introduce further drama in the future.
 I think that Paige and Shane make a cute couple, but as we know, that is hardly enough to make a relationship work.  I am gonna have to wait till the next season to see how that works out.  :)

Next up, Jodi... 
I think I have a few things to say about her, but you first.   :)