Author Topic: The L Word: Any fans out there?  (Read 86785 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The L Word: Any fans out there?
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2007, 11:07:22 pm »
Hey Amanda!  :)

What do I think about Paige?

Well, she seems like a strong woman and a good mom to her kid.  I think she fell for Shane the moment she saw her (like many others have done).   :)  Overall, I like that character.  I especially loved it when she got Shane to go with her to Shey's school to give a talk on tolerance.  I am not quite sure, however, about their getting a house and moving in together just yet.  You made a very good point when you said that Shane does not seem to have adequately handled the way things ended with Carmen last season.   This might introduce further drama in the future.
 I think that Paige and Shane make a cute couple, but as we know, that is hardly enough to make a relationship work.  I am gonna have to wait till the next season to see how that works out.  :)

Next up, Jodi... 
I think I have a few things to say about her, but you first.   :)

Heya,

Yes, I think it's almost odd that this season doesn't really deal with the ramifications of Shane leaving Carmen at all.  I feel like that's a big, gapping hole in the plot... or perhaps something that will come up again in the future.  I hope Shane isn't using Paige as a "rebound" relationship.  But, given the whole situation with Shane's brother... Shane seems to have matured quite a lot during this season.  But, I'm also skeptical that she's ready to settle down with Paige permanently.  I also sort of wonder about Paige's sexuality.   Paige seems **really** into Shane throughout the season, but I wonder if she's really a lesbian... or really interested in establishing a life with a woman permanently (I hope she is).  I think the love-making scene between Shane and Paige (I think in the last episode of the season... or close to the end of the season at least) is one of the hottest and most realistic love scenes that they've shot on the L-Word.

Jodi for me is a bit like Phyllis... It took me a while to warm up to Jodi.  But, as the episodes progressed I liked her more and more.  I think she's a good fit for Bette... and honestly a more believable fit for Bette than Tina.  I think there's a moment somewhere in this season where Tina actually observes that Jodi is well matched to Bette because of her intensity.  And, I think that's exactly right.  Ultimately, though, I really do feel like the goal is to see Bette and Tina get back together.  I don't know.  I'm ambivalent about Tina. (By the way, my first and most significant girlfriend was named Tina... so that name choice always freaks me out... although... my Tina was very, very different than the Tina in the L-Word).

Anyway, on a certain level I don't feel like I know enough about Jodi.  I want to know more...  And, again, I really like how she's able to stand up to Bette.

So... what do you think of Jenny and the Curve magazine writer and her girlfriend?  Talk about a messed up situation.  Jenny is a real piece of work this season.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 01:13:47 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2007, 12:18:27 am »
Interesting points!  :)

In the beginning, I got the impression that Jodi was not serious about Bette at all.  In fact, I liked the fact that she was honest enough to tell Bette that she was not monogamous and would be seeing other people.  of course, Bette was already falling for her at that point, so that did not go over so well, especially when Jodi topped it all off by saying that she didn't like children.  As the episodes went by, they grew closer and I got the feeling that Jodi was shifting away from her original "openness" when it comes to relationships.  I love that Jodi does not allow Bette to control her as was the case with Tina.  Jodi tells Bette outright when she is being a control freak - example:  Bette's party for Jodi.  It was meant to be a relaxed occasion for Jodi's sake - of course, it ended up a disaster because Bette was trying too hard and she was jealous about Tina showing up with the film director.  Hmmm.. :) I don't know, I'm afraid there is going to be some drama with Bette and Tina next season.  Overall, I grew to like Jodi and I think she does a great job of holding a mirror to Bette's face, forcing her to address her control issues.

Jenny and the magazine fiasco ... okay, I felt like I was watching a situation go from bad to complete disaster!  ;D  Jenny was thoroughly unforgivable this season, lol.  Another thing was the way she handled the whole 'Lez Girls' book issue when her friends were upset with the content.  Dang, I don't know anyone who is a Jenny fan this time around.  I am a Mia K fan, however.  ;)

What about Helena and her dysfunctional 'relationship' with the 'gambling queen'? 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2007, 12:38:10 am »
Interesting points!  :)

In the beginning, I got the impression that Jodi was not serious about Bette at all.  In fact, I liked the fact that she was honest enough to tell Bette that she was not monogamous and would be seeing other people.  of course, Bette was already falling for her at that point, so that did not go over so well, especially when Jodi topped it all off by saying that she didn't like children.  As the episodes went by, they grew closer and I got the feeling that Jodi was shifting away from her original "openness" when it comes to relationships.  I love that Jodi does not allow Bette to control her as was the case with Tina.  Jodi tells Bette outright when she is being a control freak - example:  Bette's party for Jodi.  It was meant to be a relaxed occasion for Jodi's sake - of course, it ended up a disaster because Bette was trying too hard and she was jealous about Tina showing up with the film director.  Hmmm.. :) I don't know, I'm afraid there is going to be some drama with Bette and Tina next season.  Overall, I grew to like Jodi and I think she does a great job of holding a mirror to Bette's face, forcing her to address her control issues.

Jenny and the magazine fiasco ... okay, I felt like I was watching a situation go from bad to complete disaster!  ;D  Jenny was thoroughly unforgivable this season, lol.  Another thing was the way she handled the whole 'Lez Girls' book issue when her friends were upset with the content.  Dang, I don't know anyone who is a Jenny fan this time around.  I am a Mia K fan, however.  ;)

What about Helena and her dysfunctional 'relationship' with the 'gambling queen'? 

I agree that Jodi seemed to move quite far away from her original insistence on avoiding a monogomous relationship.  I get the sense that by the end fo the season she had shifted from that stance entirely.  I also think she was making a good-faith effort with Angelica in trying to be more enthusiastic about kids.  I do applaud her, however, for being honest about her feelings about children and her lack of interest in children.

I think the Helena/ gambling queen (I forget her name at the moment) plot line is the most soap-opera-esque this season.  I don't find it even slightly believable and I honestly don't sense any realy chemistry between the two actresses.  Whereas, on the other hand, I do sense tons of chemistry from Shane and Paige, for example. 

How do you feel about Papi?  I'm surprised that the writers didn't do more with her character throughout the season, honestly... after all the hype early on in the season.  I think the actress is adorable though!  The whole dynamic with Kit and Papi was an interesting avenue for the L-Word to explore I think.
:)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2007, 12:52:26 am »
I think that Papi is a sweet girl masquerading as a tough, devil-may-care type.  :)
I didn't see that whole thing with Kit coming at all.  It was interesting.  Kit was obviously not taking the Angus situation very well and she seemed to hang on to the one person who was flirting and giving her attention - Papi.  You are right, she didn't get any big storylines this season, so we'll see what comes next.

I think the Helena/ gambling queen (I forget her name at the moment) plot line is the most soap-opera-esque this season.

It was amusing and annoying to watch them sometimes.  It seemed a bit odd, frankly.. lol.

What about Max?  I really like Max.   :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2007, 01:03:39 am »
I think that Papi is a sweet girl masquerading as a tough, devil-may-care type.  :)
I didn't see that whole thing with Kit coming at all.  It was interesting.  Kit was obviously not taking the Angus situation very well and she seemed to hang on to the one person who was flirting and giving her attention - Papi.  You are right, she didn't get any big storylines this season, so we'll see what comes next.

I was amusing and annoying to watch them sometimes.  It seemed a bit odd, frankly.. lol.

What about Max?  I really like Max.   :)

I think the Kit/ Papi dynamic was particularly interesting from Papi's perspective.  She's used to being able to "get' any woman she wants... and in this case Kit is essentially un-attainable.  Even when they're actually in bed it doesn't work.  It's interesting to see how alluring and attractive the "un-attainable" quality is for Papi.  One of my favorite aspects of Papi's character... and the aspect that seems to give her real depth is her friendship with Tasha.  Nice.  I really do hope something more interesting happens with Papi in the future.

This season I like Max too.  I think he was extremely difficult in earlier seasons. Max seems to be adjusting to his transition much, much better at this point.  But, towards the end I was really curious to hear the exchange where he said he wasn't sure he'd go through with the surgery after all since he was worried about it being irreversible.  I thought that was somewhat unexpected... and very interesting... coming from him.  I'll tackle the subject of Max again in later posts...  It's getting late here and I'm getting sleepy.  He's definitely worth discussing in greater depth.  I've known 3 ftm transsexuals in the past (one I knew quite well... I'm out of touch with all of them now)... and I think the L-Word is dealing with this very difficult topic quite well. 

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2007, 01:08:47 am »
Yes, more on Max later! 

I have loved our little exchange tonight, for sure!  Interesting!  More soon..

Have a good night,  :)

~M

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2007, 01:16:03 am »
Yes, more on Max later! 

I have loved our little exchange tonight, for sure!  Interesting!  More soon..

Have a good night,  :)

~M

Sure enough!  This had definitely been fun! 8) More to come definitely...

Time for 40 winks.  Night!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2007, 01:38:25 am »
A few L Word walls to hang on the, um, walls in here... 8)

More later!

~M

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2007, 01:19:48 pm »
I thought I'd leave a few lines in here... Where did we leave off last day?  Right, Max... :)

Max went through some interesting changes this season.

He seemed to have found some comfort in his transition process, although I sensed that he was very uncomfortable in his body.  When he began a relationship with his boss' daughter, Brooke...it was clear that he really liked her and hoped desperately that she would be okay with his situation when he revealed his secret to her.  I remember that scene in the restaurant when he finally told her what he was really going through.  He looked so devastated when she reacted the way she did, calling him a freak and all that.. :-\  It was painful to watch.

Do you remember the name of the girl he met later?  I've just forgotten her name.  The 'computer geek' whom he interviewed for the job on Alice's site.. :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 03:14:58 pm by Lucise »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2007, 11:03:53 pm »
Do you remember the name of the girl he met later?  I've just forgotten her name.  The 'computer geek' whom he interviewed for the job on Alice's site.. :)

I just found out.  Her name is Grace!  It was starting to bug me. =)

Am I the only one who thinks that she has a huge part in Max's changing thoughts about going through with the surgery?
She seemed to see through him from the start and took a genuine interest in him and what he was going through.  She supported him and stood by him when his mother died.
Those were great but I think the turning point for him might've been during that love scene in the second-to-last, or could it be the last episode?
No matter how much Max tried to shrink away and hide his body from her, she drew closer and embraced him and showed that she longed o touch his body just at it was.  That was a pretty amazing scene, actually.  i could see Max's wall crumble slowly and start to fall apart.. Definitely one of my favorite scenes this season..  :)