Author Topic: The L Word: Any fans out there?  (Read 86784 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The L Word: Any fans out there?
« Reply #240 on: November 17, 2008, 02:23:18 pm »
Hey A... 

I know you are full of wonderful comments now that your Season 5 viewing is complete!
So... thoughts?  Would love to hear them.. 8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2008, 12:22:09 am »
Heya Milli!
Sorry for the delay in posting my review now that I've seen the whole season.

When the last episode ended I found myself really wanting more! It felt like it ended a bit abruptly for the season... but it definitely makes me anxious to see the next season so it seems the ending did its job.  Am I correct in understanding there will only be one more season?

Overall, as we mentioned in earlier posts, there was definitely a lot more sex and "risque" content in this season.  Which frankly, I thought was fun.  And, I just kept feeling like there were more and more parallels with Queer as Folk...  the Shebar over-the-top club which seems like a nod to Babylon in QaF and even Shane is making me think a bit of a character like Brian at this point (or that parallel seemed more pronounced this season).

I was shocked though that Shane hooked up with Nicki at the end.  As naughty as Shane can be, I really didn't see that coming.  Shane truly is wracking up a track record of being quite the heartbreaker (obviously) but some of her choices really are brutal.  I know that Jenny and Shane are meant to be best friends (that's even discussed explicitly a time or two this season), but I honestly don't feel that vibe between the two characters.  Or maybe the two actresses aren't making that dynamic work.  Jenny and Shane just seem way too different to be best friends.  Frankly, I'd think that Shane would get bored with Jenny (even as a friend), but maybe I'm being cynical.  Anyway, but since we're meant to believe that Jenny and Shane are BFF, Shane's antics with Nicki were pretty awful.  It's almost a pattern with the L Word... to have seasons end when Shane is doing something particularly bad or naughty.

Adele, as we've mentioned is just awful... and wow, what a sell out to change the ending of the movie she hijacked from Jenny too.  Scary, scary.  But, I still like that actress... I think she does a good job with that wacko character.

And LOL, wow what a way for Jodi and Bette to break up!  Yikes!  I thought that was truly awful of Jodi to use footage of Bette in her art piece/ opening like that.  The public humiliation factor just reflected back really poorly on Jodi.  But, as you know, I'm not a huge Jodi fan.  Though, I do agree with Jodi that the phrase Bette used about the two of them having different "core values" was totally, totally lame.  First of all that phrase just sounds so clinical, detached and almost academic... cold.  But, it also just sounds dorky. LOL!

I was glad to see Helena come back at the end of the season.  It was nice to see her swoop in and save the day by buying Shebar.  All of a sudden her character has gotten more interesting and complex I think. 

And, now I don't know what's up with Alice and Tasha.  I hope they pull things together ultimately.  I think they're so great together it would be such a shame for them to break up.  One thing I don't understand is why Alice seems to have so little interest in meeting or hanging out with Tasha's group of friends.  That doesn't seem that fair to me, especially since Alice is so wrapped up with her own friends.  And, that fashion designer she has a crush on doesn't seem to hold a candle to Tasha.  So, that's weird to me.

Anyway... more late! 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #242 on: November 20, 2008, 12:40:26 am »

Oh, and I wanted to post something interesting about the character Clea - the fashion designer that Alice develops a crush on.

That actress, Melanie Lynsky was in a campy but fun lesbian movie in 2000 called But I'm a Cheerleader (she played a character named Hilary).  But I'm a Cheerleader starred Natasha Lyonne and featured RuPaul out of drag, as a fairly major character.  And!  Here's a BBM connection... Michelle Williams was in it too!

Here's the imdb page for the movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179116/

I actually recommend watching it if you've never seen it.  As I said, it's very campy and kitschy (purposefully)... but the ending actually made me cry a little bit when I first saw it (as dorky as that is)... it takes a sweet little turn at the end.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #243 on: November 20, 2008, 02:06:22 pm »
Hey Bud!  :)

I have seen But I'm a Cheerleader (a few times actually)... own the DVD as well.
Love it.

Have you seen Heavenly Creatures, also starring Melanie Lynsky (& Kate Winslet)?  I thought she was very good in it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110005/

Re: The L Word:  My comments coming v. soon.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2008, 03:46:57 pm »
Hey Bud!  :)

I have seen But I'm a Cheerleader (a few times actually)... own the DVD as well.
Love it.

Have you seen Heavenly Creatures, also starring Melanie Lynsky (& Kate Winslet)?  I thought she was very good in it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110005/

I'm glad that you've seen and like But I'm a Cheerleader.  I also have a soft spot for that movie... even though in certain ways it's kind of a strange movie. I had completely forgotten that Michelle Williams was in that until last night when I looked up the movie's imdb page.

No, I haven't seen Heavenly Creatures, but I want to.  The whole story and the circumstance regarding the mystery writer Anne Perry certainly seems riveting.

Re: The L Word:  My comments coming v. soon.

;D Looking forward to them! :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #245 on: November 21, 2008, 02:20:23 am »

;D Looking forward to them! :)

A,

I will post my comments tomorrow.  Tonight, I get to play some guitar for a bit and then off to bed.

You know what I been thinking lately?  I miss Dana. 
I am going to have to start a re-watch from Season 1 one of these days.  :)
See ya tomorrow.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #246 on: November 21, 2008, 03:47:15 pm »
Hey Amanda!

When the last episode ended I found myself really wanting more! It felt like it ended a bit abruptly for the season... but it definitely makes me anxious to see the next season so it seems the ending did its job.  Am I correct in understanding there will only be one more season?

Yes.  The next and final season will premiere in January '09 on Showtime. 
I think it will be only 8 episodes long. 
If you are interested in a possible rundown of Season 6 and you don't mind the spoilers, you can get some info on it here:  http://www.thelwordonline.com/s6_spoilers.html#Season%206
I didn't read it myself.  Don't want no spoilers. ;)

There is also talk about an L-Word spin-off called The Farm, more info:  http://www.thelwordonline.com/spinoff.html

I was shocked though that Shane hooked up with Nicki at the end.  As naughty as Shane can be, I really didn't see that coming.  Shane truly is wracking up a track record of being quite the heartbreaker (obviously) but some of her choices really are brutal.

True. 
There were definitely more than a few moments when I didn't care for Jenny's character at all.  But towards the end, she got more likeable - I think she started to grow out of her selfish, sometimes childish ways and was starting to develop better relationships with the rest of the gang.  Shane had always stuck by her even at the times when she was insufferable; she was privy to Jenny's blossoming/full-on feelings for Nikki.  So it must've especially hurt Jenny to find Nikki and Shane in that very compromising position at the party.  Yeah, even if she (Shane) believed that Nikki and Jenny were not together, it was definitely a poor judgement call on Shane's part, no doubt. 

If you look at the very few interactions between Nikki and Shane - there was always a tension there.  I got the feeling that Nikki was flirting with Shane a few times.  I seem to recall a conversation they shared during the Pink Ride that indicated to me that Nikki was perhaps harboring an attraction for Shane (she was still with Jenny at the time). 

Poor Jenny, though.  I am curious to see how this all works out in S6. 

Shane and Phyllis' daughter, Molly - that was an unlikely hookup.  I never felt any real chemistry between them.  I could understand Shane's fascination with her "Straight-girl crush" but I didn't really see their relationship going too far.  Well, who knows what might've come of it, if Phyllis hadn't pretty much told Shane she was 'bringing down' her daughter.

I thought it was interesting to note Phyllis' trepidation/objections surrounding to her daughter's first lesbian relationship (keeping in mind that she'd just come out herself after over two decades of marriage).  Then again, I guess she wasn't just worried about her daughter being gay, she was worried about her daughter being gay AND sleeping with Shane.  ;D

Adele, as we've mentioned is just awful... and wow, what a sell out to change the ending of the movie she hijacked from Jenny too.  Scary, scary.  But, I still like that actress... I think she does a good job with that wacko character.

I agree, she brought a certain believable creepiness to the character of Adele.

Here's one scene that was quite bizarre: After Jenny sent Nikki the love letter she'd written, Nikki stopped by Jenny's place to tell her how much the letter meant to her.  Adele was standing there in the shadows, she did look like Jenny (fooled me for a second too).  Thing is - she didn't object when Nikki approached her (thinking she was Jenny), went on and on about the letter and eventually kissed her.  She only pretended to be 'mistaken'/confused when the lights flickered on and Nikki saw who she was.  That was wierd.

Creepy, creepy Adele. ;D

And LOL, wow what a way for Jodi and Bette to break up!  Yikes!  I thought that was truly awful of Jodi to use footage of Bette in her art piece/ opening like that.  The public humiliation factor just reflected back really poorly on Jodi.  But, as you know, I'm not a huge Jodi fan.  Though, I do agree with Jodi that the phrase Bette used about the two of them having different "core values" was totally, totally lame.

I must admit that the "core values" thing is just the kind of statement Bette would make, don't you think?  Lame as it may be.  LOL. 

I thought the scene by the camp fire was so well done.  You couldn't help but sense the total discomfort/tension lingering between Bette/Tina & eventually Jodi when the conversation drifted to exes and cheating and the like. 

I felt bad for Jodi but was relieved that the affair was finally revealed.  It was about time Tina and Bette stopped sneaking around and came out with it. lol.  It threw Jodi for a loop, no doubt, I felt her pain ...too bad she resorted to humiliating Bette with the art piece she did.  It was low but some say the taste of revenge is sweet.  Maybe it helped her move on..   ;)

And, now I don't know what's up with Alice and Tasha.  I hope they pull things together ultimately.  I think they're so great together it would be such a shame for them to break up.  One thing I don't understand is why Alice seems to have so little interest in meeting or hanging out with Tasha's group of friends.  That doesn't seem that fair to me, especially since Alice is so wrapped up with her own friends.  And, that fashion designer she has a crush on doesn't seem to hold a candle to Tasha.  So, that's weird to me.

Good point about Alice showing little interest in Tasha's friends.  Now that you mention it - during the Pink Ride, she seemed uncomfortable when Tasha decided to go off and hang out with her old friends for a while.  Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that one of them was Tasha's ex?  Don't know.  You are right though, it seems out of character for Alice somehow.

Re: The fashion designer - She just seems flat somehow, character-wise...  Alice seems smitten and there is an attraction there.  We'll see... fingers crossed that Tasha & Alice stick together!

That's all for now, Bud.. :)

~M

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2008, 01:29:21 pm »

Yikes!  I just discovered this article on MSNBC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28070138/
‘L Word’ to kill off one of its major characters
Premiere of Showtime drama’s final season begins with body in a pool

NEW YORK - Dead is the word when “The L Word” returns.

Showtime’s drama about a circle of lesbian friends and lovers is going to kill off one of its major characters on the premiere of its sixth — and final — season.

The victim is Jenny Schecter, Showtime has disclosed. Jenny, a would-be writer and accomplished two-timer, has long been embraced by fans as the character they most love to hate.

The episode, which airs Jan. 18, begins with a splash as Jenny’s body is discovered in a swimming pool. Accident, or murder — and whodunit? Viewers will have to wait for those answers.

Meanwhile, she won’t be absent from the show: The remainder of the season is heavy with flashbacks of Jenny (played by Mia Kirshner) in the swim with her enemies and pals.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #248 on: December 08, 2008, 12:57:45 pm »
Ah yes...Jenny...

I discovered that piece of news last week as well, and was wondering if I should post it here or not.  :)

Remember when I posted this..

I was hunting for L Word news when I came across an article on AE (AfterEllen.com) that...

Lucy Lawless will be a guest star in S6!!  :D  (http://www.afterellen.com/blwe/09-26-08?page=0%2C1)

I don't care what character they give her; anything will do, I think..  :P

.. turns out Lucy L. will take on the role of police detective investigating the Jenny case.
Should be interesting.  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2008, 05:34:56 pm »
LW news from AE.com:

Leisha Hailey's Alice to Star in "L Word" Spinoff
by
Sarah Warn, Editor in Chief
September 4, 2008
http://www.afterellen.com/TV/2008/9/tlw-spinoff-alice

The previously announced online spinoff of The L Word will revolve around Leisha Hailey's Alice, Showtime announced today.

Ilene Chaiken, creator and exec producer of The L Word, will write and produce the pilot, which will shoot in December.

A shortened sixth and final season of The L Word will debut in January, with the series' finale setting up the premise for the spinoff. No details have yet been given around the spinoff's premise, which will initially debut online, with the potential to move to television.

At the end of the fifth season, the once-bisexual Alice was contemplating breaking up with her girlfriend Tasha (Rose Rollins), and was aggressively pursuing a role in TV journalism.

In-between shooting The L Word, Hailey has been busy promoting her new rock band, Uh Huh Her, which recently released its first album, Common Reaction.

Alice has been a central character on Showtime's lesbian drama since it debuted in 2004. Much of the speculation among fans about which character would lead the spinoff has pointed to Alice Pieszecki as the most likely choice, given the character's overall likability, Hailey's availability, and the fact that she is openly gay (she recently became the new spokeswoman for lesbian cruise company Olivia).