Author Topic: The L Word: Any fans out there?  (Read 85858 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The L Word: Any fans out there?
« Reply #260 on: September 10, 2009, 04:42:42 pm »
Re-activating this thread to say...

The L WORD Season 6 Amazon.com Release is set for October 20, 2009.

Gotta complete the L Word collection with this one.
This wasn't the best of seasons, but it had its moments and I will definitely be getting it next month. 

Yay!  I'm excited!  I'll certainly be buying it too.

I'll be sad to see the L Word end... but I think the series has run its course.  And, it's nice that it had a good number of seasons.

It would be nice if something new would come along with a lot of lesbian content.  LOL, I happened to see the first episode of the new Melrose Place the other night and it looks like one of the characters is going to be a lesbian or bisexual (it looks like they're setting her up to be a bad, bad girl), but something like that isn't the same thing as a series that takes the lesbian community/ identity, etc. as a main topic.  I think there will probably still be some lesbian story lines coming up in this season of Grey's Anatomy too.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2009, 11:33:08 am »
Hi Milli (and other L-Worders!),

A thread was just started here in Culture Tent about the new show called Glee.  And, I was inspired to post here about Jane Lynch who played Joyce Wischnia on the L Word.  She has a major role in Glee, and is great!  I'm happy to see her have this new success (or at least so far this new TV show seems to be a success).
8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #262 on: November 20, 2009, 10:36:55 pm »
Woohoo! I'm finally watching the final season of the L-Word.  My DVDs finally came from Amazon a while back, and now I'm watching disc 1!
8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #263 on: November 22, 2009, 06:34:44 pm »
There's something amazing about watching an entire season of a show in one weekend. LOL!
I'm on the second to last episode now... the one titled "Last Couple Standing"... and had to smile at the James Schamus/ Focus Features reference.
 ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #264 on: November 30, 2009, 03:37:07 pm »
There's something amazing about watching an entire season of a show in one weekend. LOL!
I'm on the second to last episode now... the one titled "Last Couple Standing"... and had to smile at the James Schamus/ Focus Features reference.
 ;D

Hey Amanda!

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this final season as a whole?
Sounds like you are enjoying it though.. so that's cool!

Believe it or not, I don't have the season dvds yet.  I did watch the  season from start to end when it was airing though.  So I guess that is why I am not panicking, lol.

What did you think of the final episode?  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #265 on: November 30, 2009, 03:39:16 pm »
Hi Milli (and other L-Worders!),

A thread was just started here in Culture Tent about the new show called Glee.  And, I was inspired to post here about Jane Lynch who played Joyce Wischnia on the L Word.  She has a major role in Glee, and is great!  I'm happy to see her have this new success (or at least so far this new TV show seems to be a success).
8)

I have heard SO MUCH about Glee but have not watched a single episode so far.

Will check out the Glee Thread.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #266 on: December 06, 2009, 07:32:58 pm »
Jennifer Beals is in The L Word? How cool! In fact, she's written a memoir about her experiences in the cast. Double cool!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #267 on: December 06, 2009, 08:39:22 pm »
Jennifer Beals is in The L Word? How cool! In fact, she's written a memoir about her experiences in the cast. Double cool!

Hi Lee,
Yes, Jennifer Beals was pretty much the main or central character for the 6 seasons (it's a group cast with multiple storylines, but she and her girlfriend are often highlighted).

Hey Amanda!

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this final season as a whole?
Sounds like you are enjoying it though.. so that's cool!

Believe it or not, I don't have the season dvds yet.  I did watch the  season from start to end when it was airing though.  So I guess that is why I am not panicking, lol.

What did you think of the final episode?  :)

Heya Milli!  All I can say, is I thought the final episode was peculiar.  It kind of left me cold.  But, I enjoyed watching the season... even though this one seems to have gotten bad reviews in general.  I'm surprised there wasn't some kind of flashback or tribute to Dana in some way during this final season.

I'll miss the L Word.  I think the series really had run its course, but still it was fun.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2010, 02:21:39 pm »
Heya Milli!  All I can say, is I thought the final episode was peculiar.  It kind of left me cold.  But, I enjoyed watching the season... even though this one seems to have gotten bad reviews in general.  I'm surprised there wasn't some kind of flashback or tribute to Dana in some way during this final season.

I'll miss the L Word.  I think the series really had run its course, but still it was fun.

Re: the ending - I think they were trying to go for the "not a neat tidy ending because like is not perfectly packaged" angle, but I wish they'd closed the show properly for these characters that had been through so much together over 6 seasons.  The finale was weak.

But, yeah,  I'll miss the show too.  :)

I'd read that Ilene Chaiken was looking to carry on one (or few) of the L Word story lines (Jenny's death, Alice) into a new show called The Farm.  I don't think that idea ever took off.  I was looking forward to having another lesbian series like the L Word on TV once the show ended. 
I guess we gotta wait and see.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2010, 03:07:56 pm »
Heya Milli!

It's so good to see you Bud!  :D

I like the idea of open endings or ambiguous endings in general.  I mean, hey, the open-ended ending of BBM is clearly a masterpiece (obviously a totally different league or caliber from the L Word... but still, it's a good example of an ambiguous ending).

However, I agree with you that the L Word ending didn't really necessarily do justice to all the characters and/ or storylines.  It was a lot to try to wrap up, definitely.  And, yes!  Now that you mention it, I remember the talk about The Farm.  I would love to see a whole show focused on Alice.  Alice is such a great character!  I don't know if I'd be so interested in a whole show focused on Jenny or her death.

Yeah, I'll miss the L Word simply for the fact that it focused on lesbian storylines... and it was often lots of fun.  But, as I said in my post here from a while back, I still think the show had run its course, so I feel like it was a good time for it to come to an end.