Author Topic: Is it just me, or...  (Read 10701 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Is it just me, or...
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 09:41:23 pm »
Since we're on the topic of television, I've always been curious about a few things about American tv - how many network channels are there? Do most people have cable or satellite with extra channels in the US?

For most of my life I had four network channels on my TV (and still do while I'm at uni) but at home I have satellite television now with hundreds of channels (none of which I ever watch). I do think one of the greatest things about network tv in the UK though was the creation of Channel 4, designed specifically to cater for minority audiences, so they take their gay audience seriously. I didn't have Channel 4 for most of my life unfortunately (we don't get it in Wales! - we get S4C instead) -- but now I do, it is by far my favourite channel! Plus it has all the great US imports, like Six Feet Under, Sopranos etc. Is there a network channel in the US for minority audiences, or are they all pretty similar?

I remember when I was young, (1960's) Indianapolis only had 4 television stations. Channel 6 (ABC), Channel 8 (CBS), Channel 13 (NBC) and Channel 4 (Local). That was all we had. To make matters worse, Channel 4 was difficult to watch because the reception was so bad.  Later, Channel 20 (PBS) was introduced and soon after that Channel 40 (mostly religious programming). We were perfectly happy with the programming though. Back then, the idea of hundreds of channels would have seemed totally ridiculous. I mean, how many channels could you possibly watch??!!  :o

Today (at least here in the Midwestern U.S.) most people have cable, and many people have "upgraded" to the digital cable offering 200-300 channels. I rarely see satellite dishes here in Indiana. In the early 1990's some people gave it a try, but quickly switched back to cable.

I hope that helps you!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 09:44:11 pm »
Oh, you asked about the networks here. I really don't know how many we have now. ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, UPN; just to name a few.

BBC America is popular too.  :D

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 09:49:32 pm »
Since we're on the topic of television, I've always been curious about a few things about American tv - how many network channels are there? Do most people have cable or satellite with extra channels in the US?

For most of my life I had four network channels on my TV (and still do while I'm at uni) but at home I have satellite television now with hundreds of channels (none of which I ever watch). I do think one of the greatest things about network tv in the UK though was the creation of Channel 4, designed specifically to cater for minority audiences, so they take their gay audience seriously. I didn't have Channel 4 for most of my life unfortunately (we don't get it in Wales! - we get S4C instead) -- but now I do, it is by far my favourite channel! Plus it has all the great US imports, like Six Feet Under, Sopranos etc. Is there a network channel in the US for minority audiences, or are they all pretty similar?

We do have a cable channel called LOGO which is specifically targetted toward the gay and lesbian audience. If you have satellite or supercable, you usually get about 50 sports channels, 20 movie channels, 10 religious channels, the main 8 channels, 6 popular entertainment channels, 3 music entertainment channels, 20-something music channels that are just music... (I love the Showtunes channel myself).... 6 science channels, 6 arts and entertainment channels, 6 shopping channels, 6 kid's channels, 4 niche channels.... and I think that's about all of them.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 10:03:48 pm »
We have basic cable at home, Florida...about 100 channels, but its for my husband.  He watches a lot of sports swithes back and forth between games.  God he loves his remote and loves beer commercials.  While he is watching TV (I rarely watch TV, didn't even as a kid) I am here on the internet... Reading, typing, chatting and looking which mostly always revolves around BBM.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
20/20 special on Steve Irwin is on now.
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 10:10:56 pm »
For those who might want to know, there's a 20/20 special on right now about "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin, on ABC. It's a tribute to what he worked for in the world (wildlife conservation) and who he was--a passionate lover of life.

Worth watching.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:12:44 pm by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 10:15:17 pm »
For those who might want to know, there's a 20/20 special on right now about "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin, on ABC. It's a tribute to what he worked for in the world (wildlife conservation) and who he was--a passionate lover of life.

Worth watching.

Thanks for reminding me or I would have forgot all about it. I just turned it on.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 10:27:46 pm »
Thanks for reminding me or I would have forgot all about it. I just turned it on.

I was just watching by chance. It's amazing. People in earlier time zones, set your VCRs or watch it. There's so much honesty and love coming through the small screen.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 11:55:19 pm »
It's frustrating not knowing if a "family-friendly" establishment means "we have chalk for coloring on the floor" or "we're a bunch of bigots.")

Where's the clapping hands smiley when you need it!  This is so true, Mel.  Thanks.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 01:00:11 am »
(I might be a parent, but I don't really fall into the "family" demographic,

Funny! I was just thinking something like this a day or two ago. If I see the word "family" in the name of a publication/restaurant/entertainment offering/social gathering it's a red flag. I automatically assume that I won't be interested in it/feel comfortable there/enjoy it/agree with anything it says.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 10:02:14 am »
20-something music channels that are just music... (I love the Showtunes channel myself)....

are you serious!? How cool!!!!

meh. 100 channels - is standard?!

I pay £40 per month for my cable and broadband combined and I have nowhere near 100 channels!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/