Author Topic: little things that can make a day  (Read 5789 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
little things that can make a day
« on: September 27, 2006, 04:49:55 pm »
So this is kind of a partner thread to the "pet hates" thread -- for things that can make a day go better, rather than things that annoy you.

For instance: I just got a little note from a complete stranger thanking me for something that's just part of my job. I never met the person, never saw her, don't know her e-mail address... nothing. But she sure made my day.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

moremojo

Re: little things that can make a day
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:51:25 pm »
Mel, I love this idea for a thread! Accentuate the positive.

I adore those kinds of message-in-a-bottle experiences such as you describe in your opening post. Something I do, somewhat along those lines, is when I drop pennies, I leave them, letting someone else find a "lucky penny" later, if they choose to see it that way.

Learning something new that's fun and interesting never fails to brighten my day. I'm a fan of royalty (and yet an ardent republican [lower-case 'r', mind you]--go figure), and one of my favorite royal personages is the late Queen Emma of the Netherlands (1858-1934), who was born a Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont, and ruled as regent for some eight years for her daughter Queen Wilhelmina. One day I came across, leafing through a book on the crown jewels of Europe, a photograph of Queen Emma as a young woman, resplendent in her royal regalia. Previously I had only seen images of this lady as a mature woman, dressed in widow's weeds. A whole new facet of this princess's presence was revealed to me, and I was on Cloud 9 for the rest of the day.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:13:29 pm »
A warm and genuine smile.  .. from a complete stranger or someone you know. 
You know a smile is genuine when you see it in the person's eyes! 

When I went to get lunch today, I met this older gentleman (in his late 70s or 80s) who was standing in line behind me.  When he looked at me, he just let out this really big smile and we stroke up a converstion.  We talked abit about travelling and he said that his favorite place is Hawaii and that he was going there next month.  When I asked for how long he was going to be vacationing, he said 4 months.  Then he went on to say .." I can't afford it but I am gonna do it.  I am living on borrowed time .." .. another laugh .. I said "Well, we're all living on borrowed time!  I hope you have a great time while you are away ..".  Then he said, "Well, at my age, you never know when it'll be time, so I am going for it!"  I was so struck by his enthusiasm and the way he smiled at everything ..

I don't know if I'll ever run into him again, but it all started with a smile .. :)

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:20:35 pm »
Looking out my window, I see the GORGEOUS blue sky and shining, mulitcolored, backlit clouds under which I am about to go walk my 2 huge and hugely beloved St. Bernards.  The skies here at home are beautiful, and have been a wonderful welcome-home sign since I moved back.  That makes my day.

Oh, and a good googled picture of Cher that I can toss onto the Performance Thread doesn't hurt either!  ;)

great idea for a thread.  thanks, Mel.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:57:08 pm by alec716 »
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 07:24:16 pm »
For instance: I just got a little note from a complete stranger thanking me for something that's just part of my job. I never met the person, never saw her, don't know her e-mail address... nothing. But she sure made my day.

I've had a couple of great experiences of this kind. I get calls or letters fairly often about things I've written for newspapers or magazines -- many are nice, though some are not day-brighteners, to say the least.  >:( But I've had two really good ones in recent years.

One is, I got a call from a stranger who liked an article that I wrote for a national magazine, and the woman turned out to live a block away from me. (I think she may have realized when she called, from my little bio in the magazine, that we lived in the same city. But still -- a block away!)

The other is, I wrote a newspaper column 10 years ago about feeling melancholy when my younger son started kindergarten. (Yes, it was a bit mushy, though I tried to rein in the sap with moments of steely Annie-Proulx-like antisentimentality.  ;)) Anyway, five years later, I got a call from a stranger who had clipped and saved my piece -- and had dug it out that very day, when her own son started kindergarten.  :'( :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 10:04:09 am »
Suprise catch up or 'hello - how are you' emails, letters postcards (I loove getting a postcard from somewhere exotic!)

also good joked in the barage of rubbish forwards you gett. these made me laugh today.

Three old guys are out walking.

First one says, "Windy, isn't it?"

Second one says, "No, it's Thursday!"

Third one says, "So am I. Let's go get a beer."

<><><><><><><>

A man was telling his neighbour, "I just bought a new hearing aid.

It cost me four thousand dollars, but it's state of the art. It's perfect."

"Really," answered the neighbor. "What kind is it?"

"Twelve thirty."

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 12:07:06 pm »
It really is the little things that matter.

One of them for me is when one of my cats hop up on my lap.  They aren't normally lap cats, but cats read emotions well and when they can feel that I'm down, my lap is the first place they turn.  Makes me smile and relax!  Nothing like fur therapy.

Another is a good sunny day in the middle of winter.  They are so rare that they REALLY make my day :)
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 01:48:36 pm »

I adore those kinds of message-in-a-bottle experiences such as you describe in your opening post. Something I do, somewhat along those lines, is when I drop pennies, I leave them, letting someone else find a "lucky penny" later, if they choose to see it that way.

Scott, this is so a lovely idea. I never would have thought of that, but next time I'll leave my penny, too.

Speaking of money; I'm kind of devil-may-care about money (except big checks, lol  ;D). And so it happens a few times a year that I find money in some godforsaken pocket or bag, which I had forgotten totally. I do know that it's mine anyway, but I always feel like I had won in a lottery.

When I came home from our Brokie meeting in London, my children made my day. I never ever was welcomed so affectionate. They are always happy when I come home, and we're all big on hugs and kisses and endearments - but that welcome was really outstanding. I was so happy they got me sheding some tears.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 10:38:00 pm »
I love unexpected politeness from strangers. I'm in college near Chicago, and strangers hold doors for me like every day. Even when they have to stand and wait for me to get there!

Also, I had a test yesterday that I was really worried about, but I really think I got an A! That made me happy! We'll see if I'm still happy tomorrow when I get it back.

Great idea for a thread!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 12:29:47 pm »
I love unexpected politeness from strangers. I'm in college near Chicago, and strangers hold doors for me like every day. Even when they have to stand and wait for me to get there!

True Court!   I love it when people do that.. and usually before you know it .. you are doing it for someone else!  ;)

So .. how was the test Court?  A- or A+?  :)