Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2147891 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #4310 on: April 21, 2009, 10:27:18 pm »
My Dad kind of hurt my feelings today. He was watching Fox News and they were interviewing Miss California and discussing her comments about gay marriage.

Dad looked at me and said (I'm paraphrasing) "I don't think she said anything wrong. What's all the fuss about?"

And I told him I thought everyone is entitled to their opinions in this country - even her.

Then he said (I'm paraphrasing again) "You people need to stop complaining. What are these rights you keep complaining about? Move to Iran if you think you're being treated so badly here."

He said gay people have everything they need in this country and we should stop bitching about how we're treated.

That hurt my feelings until I reminded myself that he is a die-hard, old school conservative. In his mind the country is fine and since everything is working well for him and people like him, he doesn't see the need for things to change.

He often forgets he has a gay son. At least I HOPE he's forgetting. :-\

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #4311 on: April 21, 2009, 10:31:29 pm »
My Dad kind of hurt my feelings today. He was watching Fox News and they were interviewing Miss California and discussing her comments about gay marriage.

Dad looked at me and said (I'm paraphrasing) "I don't think she said anything wrong. What's all the fuss about?"

And I told him I thought everyone is entitled to their opinions in this country - even her.

Then he said (I'm paraphrasing again) "You people need to stop complaining. What are these rights you keep complaining about? Move to Iran if you think you're being treated so badly here."

He said gay people have everything they need in this country and we should stop bitching about how we're treated.

That hurt my feelings until I reminded myself that he is a die-hard, old school conservative. In his mind the country is fine and since everything is working well for him and people like him, he doesn't see the need for things to change.

He often forgets he has a gay son. At least I HOPE he's forgetting. :-\

that was very insensitive of him. I am sorry, David.

:-\

I think there are TONS of things that are great with America...and a FEW things that are wrong. we should keep the good and change the bad. I think a lot of these conservatives hear that the left complain so much they think the left doesn't want to keep ANYTHING...they are afraid that the left wants to throw 'the baby out with the bath water'..they need more information..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4312 on: April 22, 2009, 12:59:06 am »
I also try to remind myself that my Dad is an old man. And sometimes his thoughts just burst out his mouth without his realizing it.

I think that is probably what happened earlier today.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #4313 on: April 22, 2009, 05:57:47 am »
I also try to remind myself that my Dad is an old man. And sometimes his thoughts just burst out his mouth without his realizing it.

I think that is probably what happened earlier today.

probably, and I am sure he didn't MEAN to hurt you..

{{{David}}}

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4314 on: April 22, 2009, 07:06:10 am »

I think that most people are self-centered, and don't understand the other point of view.

One of my cousins is a member of the Knights of Columbus, as is my father.  they both continually ask me if I'm intersted in going to functions there, where I have to pay a fee to enter.

I've told them no numerous times, and my reasons why......because they gave money to the movement to support Prop 8. 

I don't look at it as them trying to hurt me.  The KoC is important to me, so they ask me to go.  I just keep stating my case, and opt not to attend.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4315 on: April 22, 2009, 07:26:18 am »
OH dear David, I hate to think of you feeling like you are.

Let me assure you, from a parent's point of view, that we never ever intend to hurt our kid's in any way, and it sounds like he was only stating an opinion without any thought as to how it might hurt you.

The funny thing is you know......if someone else had said, what he said, and he heard it, he probably would have objected to it, because he would have taken that as an offence to YOU.

Its a bit like, I can call my hubby a bloody grumpy old bastard at times, but god help anyone else who does, and I hear it.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #4316 on: April 22, 2009, 07:28:19 am »
OH dear David, I hate to think of you feeling like you are.

Let me assure you, from a parent's point of view, that we never ever intend to hurt our kid's in any way, and it sounds like he was only stating an opinion without any thought as to how it might hurt you.

The funny thing is you know......if someone else had said, what he said, and he heard it, he probably would have objected to it, because he would have taken that as an offence to YOU.

Its a bit like, I can call my hubby a bloody grumpy old bastard at times, but god help anyone else who does, and I hear it.

your hubby is a bloody grumpy old bastard...

*Jess RUNS*

HELP!!!!

injest

« Reply #4317 on: April 22, 2009, 07:28:56 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4318 on: April 22, 2009, 07:31:38 am »
your hubby is a bloody grumpy old bastard...

*Jess RUNS*

HELP!!!!

hahahhahaha......I knew you would do that Jess......

I have a little wooden sign hanging up in my kitchen, it says......Sometimes I wake up grumpy........sometimes I let him sleep in...I get a lot of laughs from that one.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #4319 on: April 22, 2009, 07:37:39 am »
hahahhahaha......I knew you would do that Jess......

I have a little wooden sign hanging up in my kitchen, it says......Sometimes I wake up grumpy........sometimes I let him sleep in...I get a lot of laughs from that one.

well...if you dangle your tail outta the cage....somebody is gonna pull it.

;D ;D