Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2149368 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #1050 on: December 10, 2006, 02:21:35 am »
I just opened my new club Jess.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=6785.0

Please feel free to stick your nose in the door and have a look. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1051 on: December 10, 2006, 02:35:55 am »
Hey Lynne! Yeah, I'll be shooting a pm off to you within the next couple of days!  :)

Please include address! so ii can send you what I'm trying to send you!!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1052 on: December 10, 2006, 09:58:16 pm »
Well I am sooooooo depressed right now. I know you all don't want to hear about football but I feel like ranting and raving.

Today's game was a real kick in the ass....

Jacksonville 41  Indianapolis 17

Last week, Tennessee beat us (Thanks a lot Lynne!) ;)

I forget the score. Selective memory I suppose. Some things just hurt too much to remember.

But they beat us pretty bad.

Dallas beat us about a month ago. What is it about the South? We seem to lose to Southern teams.

Next week we play Cincinnati. That will be another bad one probably. The Indianapolis Colts are now 10-3 and falling fast.

We even have an astronaut on the space shuttle rooting for the Indy Colts. He flashed a "Go Colts" sign just as he was boarding the elevator.

Somebody jinxed us, I think.  :P

Whew! I'll shut up now.  :D

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • myspace
« Reply #1053 on: December 10, 2006, 11:43:27 pm »
Hey Lynne! Yeah, I'll be shooting a pm off to you within the next couple of days!  :)

Shh! Wulfie, don't tell anyone this, but I don't really go to that party in the buff. I was just trying to get out of wearing that awful dress.  ;)

bah tease !
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • myspace
« Reply #1054 on: December 10, 2006, 11:44:42 pm »
looking under the bed???

planting flowers??

crawling thru a tunnel??

what??  8) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[/quote

oo now you are just tyrin to kil me ! honestly tease ! =P
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1055 on: December 15, 2006, 01:18:30 am »
Last week, Tennessee beat us (Thanks a lot Lynne!) ;)

You cannot blame me for that one.  I have no allegience to the Titans.  I was only involved in the NEngland v Colts, and as I recall, I watched the Colts win with me cheering them on at my local bar.  Later in the night part of the U/Wyoming basketball team and coach came in (They were in town for a tournament and Murfreesboro, TN is his hometown.)  I took it as a sign I'd made the right choice!  Have I already told this story?  I forget.  At any rate, I got to tell the coach about my friends who had just returned from Laramie and seeing Annie Proulx and hearing Matthew Shepard's Mom speak.  Any night I can work all of that into a conversation without much effort is a good night for me.

What I refrained from telling you, however, is that the barkeep - a high school friend - told me about a news article about Peyton Manning, which I verified independently.  The Tennesseean reported that our guy with the cute tushie sent lots of $$$ to Republican candidates in Tennessee for this year's midterm election.  I think we need to write to him and explain how much we like him, how great so much of what he does do is, but why we don't share his support of the conservative stance on most social issues.

On a different note, this was in my email (which I'm woefully behind cleaning out), but I thought you might find it interesting.  As you may already know, the Friends Committee on National Legislation has a quite active Native American legislative lobby ministry:

Native American Legislative Update: December 1, 2006
Not too late to save native languages

Your advocacy is needed to pass a bill "dear to the hearts" of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Language preservation is an essential part of cultural preservation in Indian Country. Knowing this, legislators of both parties have supported dual language programs for tribes with enough elders to pass on their knowledge.

The Esther Martinez Native American Languages Preservation Act of 2006 (H.R. 4766) could become law with your immediate help. This modest ($8 million) expansion of an existing education program to teach native languages would be a major step toward preserving dying languages. The House passed this bill in September. The Senate leadership has agreed to pass this legislation by unanimous consent and it could win approval during the lame duck session of Congress in early December. But several senators are using parliamentary tactics known as "holds" to block final approval of this legislation.

Language immersion programs provide Native children, who already know English, the opportunity to learn their heritage language as well. Small federal education grants go a long way to help cultural survival. The number of fluent speakers diminishes every year.

At an August field hearing in New Mexico, a large crowd attended. Education advocate Ryan Wilson pointed out the crisis of dying languages and said that keeping them alive is "dear to our hearts."

Take Action Now

Your senators can ask their colleagues to lift their holds so that passage of H.R. 4766 will no longer be blocked. You can find a sample letter and contact your senators directly through FCNL’s website. Please go to http://capwiz.com/fconl/issues/alert/?alertid=9187561&type=CO

Contact Congress and the Administration:  http://capwiz.com/fconl/dbq/officials/

Order FCNL publications and "War is Not the Answer" bumper stickers and yard signs:
http://www.fcnl.org/pubs/
http://www.fcnl.org/forms/forms.php?type=bump

Contribute to FCNL: http://www.fcnl.org/donate/
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1056 on: December 15, 2006, 01:40:15 am »
Lynne -

I guess I'll need to go find Peyton Manning and have a talk with him. This is very disappointing to hear. It was always rumored among gay circles here that Peyton secretly supported gay rights. I guess this was just indeed a rumor, combined with some wishful thinking. Who knows.

Re Native Languages: Pila mita Lynne. Hecheto welo!  :)

I'm trying to learn my native language (Lakota). This is easier said than done though.

Thanks so much for telling me about this! I am so glad there is concern about these languages disappearing. I'll definately go and visit the website!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1057 on: December 15, 2006, 01:50:48 am »
I guess I'll need to go find Peyton Manning and have a talk with him. This is very disappointing to hear. It was always rumored among gay circles here that Peyton secretly supported gay rights. I guess this was just indeed a rumor, combined with some wishful thinking. Who knows.

I don't think we can condemn him for this one action - to my knowledge, the good outweighs the bad.  The choices in TN this year were bad and worse as best I could tell.  And there was lots of scandal/corruption rumors associated with both major candidates.  Also, I tend to respect people who have reasons for voting the way they do and are specifically not 'single issue voters'...like 'I would never vote for a democrat because they always increase taxes to fund more welfare and education spending.' or 'I would never vote for a republican because they don't support abortion rights.'  As much as we'd like thngs to be simple, there are a lot of complex issues and competing agendas.  I'd just be interested in knowing why he made the choice he did, because I'm under the impression he's very intelligent.  And making sure he knows that we support so much of what he does in terms of community involvement and what some of the other issues that are important to us are.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1058 on: December 15, 2006, 02:05:28 am »
I don't think we can condemn him for this one action - to my knowledge, the good outweighs the bad.  The choices in TN this year were bad and worse as best I could tell.  And there was lots of scandal/corruption rumors associated with both major candidates.  Also, I tend to respect people who have reasons for voting the way they do and are specifically not 'single issue voters'...like 'I would never vote for a democrat because they always increase taxes to fund more welfare and education spending.' or 'I would never vote for a republican because they don't support abortion rights.'  As much as we'd like thngs to be simple, there are a lot of complex issues and competing agendas.  I'd just be interested in knowing why he made the choice he did, because I'm under the impression he's very intelligent.  And making sure he knows that we support so much of what he does in terms of community involvement and what some of the other issues that are important to us are.

Oh I know Lynne. I was just kidding. I really do like Peyton. He has done so much for Indianapolis. He is involved in all kinds of different things. He has done a lot for Hoosier children too. He's quite an actor as well. He appears in several different commercials here in Indianapolis. He does a pretty good job too.

Hey BTW... thanks for rooting for the Colts during the Colts/Patriots game!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1059 on: December 18, 2006, 08:47:37 pm »
Indianapolis Colts vs Cincinnati Bengals Tonight

Monday Night Football

Please send positive energy to our Indianapolis Colts tonight. We have lost the last three games and we need to score a win tonight.

The Colts were doing so well up until a few weeks ago. Now they're beginning to sink like the Titanic.

This will be a huge rivalry game too. Cincinnati is only about 100 miles from here.

We need to win this game.....BAD!  :(