Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2149252 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #1730 on: July 09, 2007, 07:46:52 pm »
But that doesn't explain why we say things like "magazine perscription". That's just sloppy English in my opinion.

Unfortunately I do it too sometimes!  :-X

So shoot me!!!  :laugh:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

karen1129

« Reply #1731 on: July 09, 2007, 08:24:01 pm »
That's okay David.  I slip sometimes too.  Especially when I've been drinking !! ;D ;D ;D

There are different accents here in Texas too.  West Texas is very different then East.

Karen

karen1129

« Reply #1732 on: July 09, 2007, 08:27:23 pm »
I have two accents.  A busness one, and a social one. ;)

If, in a social situation I sound too much like a hick to some............  pffffftttttttt !! ;D

K

injest

« Reply #1733 on: July 09, 2007, 10:37:47 pm »
ok...most people call the police...'puleece'...my MOM calls them the 'POE lease'

::)

and yes that Fury was very similar to the one we had!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1734 on: July 09, 2007, 10:44:20 pm »
ok...most people call the police...'puleece'...my MOM calls them the 'POE lease'

::)

and yes that Fury was very similar to the one we had!

We say "POE-lease" here too Jess!  :laugh:

I should have included that one on my little list up there!  :)

I figured that Fury was probably the one you were talking about. I remember seeing many of those when I was a teen. It was a very popular car. But I really do love those 1958 Fury's. I love all the chromework and detailing on that car. It's beautiful! Fast too!  :D  Maybe I'll own one someday. 

injest

« Reply #1735 on: July 09, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »
I once had a Cutlass Ciera...thought it was an old ladies car...

but turns out someone had customized it...it had a v8 in it and it FLEW! I would look down and be doing 80 without trying....I used to whip people off the greenlights! it was FUN!! Cause everyone thought like me...it was a old lady car! LOL!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1736 on: July 09, 2007, 11:26:02 pm »
I once had a Cutlass Ciera...thought it was an old ladies car...

but turns out someone had customized it...it had a v8 in it and it FLEW! I would look down and be doing 80 without trying....I used to whip people off the greenlights! it was FUN!! Cause everyone thought like me...it was a old lady car! LOL!

I can't remember what those Cutlass Cieras looked like. I sure do remember the name though. I'll try to find a picture of one on the Internet.

My Cutlass Supreme was customized too. Well, I THINK it was because I don't believe Oldsmobile put V8 engines in the Cutlasses back then. But mine had one. That car had one hell of a pickup on it. 0-60 in probably 3 or 4 seconds if I stomped on the accelerator. Not bad for a midsize car. I named her Bertha.  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1737 on: July 10, 2007, 12:14:32 am »
Hey! I just found another childhood memory on youtube!! NIGHTMARE THEATER!!! I can't believe I found it!!

This guy used to scare the SHEEEEIT out of me when I was a kid. Nightmare Theater came on every Friday night just after the news. They would always play two horror movies, mostly black and white Mummy and Dracula movies. I would sneak out of bed just to watch them! Nightmare Theater started airing in the 1960's, and continued on through the 1970's and 1980's. The host's name is Sammy Terry. He's a Hoosier Legend. EVERYONE my age remembers him! Nightmare Theater was broadcast statewide on Channel 4, and later it was picked up by television networks in Kentucky, Illinois, Ohio and Michigan.

Sammy Terry's real name was Bob Carter. He owned Family Music Center, the music store where I took my violin and cello lessons, so I knew him personally. He was a very nice guy. Anyway, Channel 4 is very protective of these Sammy Terry programs, so I'm not sure how long this will be up on youtube. Enjoy it while you can.

This is the opening scene from Nightmare Theater. It's very cheesy and corny, I know, but boy does it bring back a lot of memories for me!  :D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSguVu1w4j4[/youtube]

(This video is about 3:30 in length)

Here's the Channel 13 promo from 1980 again, in case you didn't see it. The first one I posted started getting buried!  :D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNbU8mqU2HY[/youtube]

(This video is about :57 seconds)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 02:10:15 am by David »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1738 on: July 10, 2007, 08:39:57 am »
We say "POE-lease" here too Jess!  :laugh:

In Philadelphia we pronounce it "cops."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1739 on: July 11, 2007, 01:30:19 am »
I'm working on another Lakota story. I'll tell it if everyone wants to hear it.  :D