Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2149228 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #2090 on: November 09, 2007, 11:41:24 pm »

If they both weigh exactly the same and are packaged the same, wouldn't they hit the ground at exactly the same time? Didn't Sir Isaac Newton conduct experiments about this? Dottie'll know the answer to this, David. Yep, ask Dottie!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2091 on: November 09, 2007, 11:58:02 pm »
Can you imagine the mess it would make if the packaging broke open ... feather's everywhere!!!

Susie  ;D

It would be a terrible mess, wouldn't it Susie? It's almost just as big of a mess as when my cat claws open one of my pillows. >:( ;)

If they both weigh exactly the same and are packaged the same, wouldn't they hit the ground at exactly the same time? Didn't Sir Isaac Newton conduct experiments about this? Dottie'll know the answer to this, David. Yep, ask Dottie!  :D

Somebody asked me that question the other day, and without thinking I immediately blurted out "rocks"! Sheesh! Maybe it is a more tricky question when someone tells it to you instead of reading it. I don't really know. Anyway.....

Here's another one!

If you have a calandar which is 14 inches tall, and 14 inches wide, consisting of 12 pages (one page for each month) and you exerted 14 pounds of pressure opening each page, and you opened each page one at a time, until you opened 11 pages of the calandar, utilizing equal strength and pressure of lift for each page opened.....

A=exp(Elny-B x Ex) /n  B=n x ExIny - Ex x Einy / N x Ex(2)  R=n x Exiny - Ex x Einy / (sq root) N x Ex (2) (n x E(iny)(2) - (Einy)(2) x= Iny - InA / B

Then....

Whose birthday would you find on the 10th square of the 11th page inside this 14 x 14 calandar?

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,14599.0.html

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2092 on: November 10, 2007, 01:16:55 am »
If you dropped a ton of feathers and a ton of rocks off a cliff at the exact same time, which would hit the ground first?

All you physics people out there! Can you answer it?  :D

Isn't Gallileo supposed to have tried this experiment--though not with a ton of things?

They both weigh a ton, so I guess the acceleration due to gravity would be equal on them both, and so I would say they would hit the ground at the same time.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2093 on: November 10, 2007, 01:23:05 am »
They'd weigh the same, so they'd fall the same assuming the packaging was identical re wind speed, resistance etc.

But if the feather package broke open what a mess!  What a lightly falling mess!
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2094 on: November 10, 2007, 01:37:49 am »
Here's another one!

If you have a calandar which is 14 inches tall, and 14 inches wide, consisting of 12 pages (one page for each month) and you exerted 14 pounds of pressure opening each page, and you opened each page one at a time, until you opened 11 pages of the calandar, utilizing equal strength and pressure of lift for each page opened.....

A=exp(Elny-B x Ex) /n  B=n x ExIny - Ex x Einy / N x Ex(2)  R=n x Exiny - Ex x Einy / (sq root) N x Ex (2) (n x E(iny)(2) - (Einy)(2) x= Iny - InA / B

Then....

Whose birthday would you find on the 10th square of the 11th page inside this 14 x 14 calandar?

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,14599.0.html

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

:laugh:  Yee-Haw! It's mine!   :laugh:

Gasp, you really had me scratching my head there for a moment, David, with the "A=exp(Elny-B x Ex) /n  B=n x ExIny - Ex x Einy / N x Ex(2)  R=n x Exiny - Ex x Einy / (sq root) N x Ex (2) (n x E(iny)(2) - (Einy)(2) x= Iny - InA / B"

I thought you were being serious and genuinely wanted us to work out that equation! Phew, I'm so glad you were only joking! I'm a mathematical moron at the best of times! Quoting Isaac Newton's apples is as good as it gets from me!  :-\   ;)   :laugh:

P.S., Thank you for my lovely birthday thread, David. It's made my day!  :-*   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2095 on: November 10, 2007, 01:46:12 am »
God alone knows. I sure don't!
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2096 on: November 12, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »
I hate unlevel surfaces. The sensation of walking on something unstable, as if crossing over a fast running stream on a tightrope, without a net to catch you and no life boats below to rescue you if for some reason you miss the net. I watched a poor old man walk past the house today. He must have been 90 if he was a day. He had one arm extended holding an imaginary leash, and every so often he wold bend down to pet his invisable "dog" as he talked to himself. Perhaps there really was something there with him; an angel, or maybe even the spirit of a dead pet.

As the holidays quickly approach, I will try to remember those people who have much less than I do. And I don't mean only those obvious things such as wealth and luxury items (although we must remember these types of things too) but really what I mean is those people who have NO other people in their lives, and feel the need to talk to themselves and walk nonexistant animals. But then I wonder if perhaps those people are even more blessed than I am. I will never know for certain if there really WASN'T a dog or cat walking along side this elderly gentleman. Maybe there was, and I am just too blind to see it.

Just like it is very easy to look up at the night sky and assume nothing is there. How can that be? A sky full of stars and other objects glowing brightly against a dark veil certainly DOES have things up there. But people will look up and say "Nope! Nothing there. It's just a dark sky"! What? You certainly aren't looking at the same sky I am if you think there is nothing up  there! I can see millions of objects all staring me in the face!  >:(

And YES I DO think there are life forms up there. Just like I think MAYBE there might have been a dog and even a person (or angel) walking along side this man. Just because it doesn't jump out and say BOO at us doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So, as we walk and crawl across uneven surfaces, maybe we should stop and remember that other things do exist, and if we ask them for help from time to time they might even answer our call.

And remember, angels are a part of Christmas! The sky is full of them. If you look hard enough you might even see one for yourself!  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2097 on: November 12, 2007, 07:15:43 pm »
 :-*

David - you are so lovely!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2098 on: November 13, 2007, 09:13:24 am »
I hate unlevel surfaces. The sensation of walking on something unstable, as if crossing over a fast running stream on a tightrope, without a net to catch you and no life boats below to rescue you if for some reason you miss the net. I watched a poor old man walk past the house today. He must have been 90 if he was a day. He had one arm extended holding an imaginary leash, and every so often he wold bend down to pet his invisable "dog" as he talked to himself. Perhaps there really was something there with him; an angel, or maybe even the spirit of a dead pet.

As the holidays quickly approach, I will try to remember those people who have much less than I do. And I don't mean only those obvious things such as wealth and luxury items (although we must remember these types of things too) but really what I mean is those people who have NO other people in their lives, and feel the need to talk to themselves and walk nonexistant animals. But then I wonder if perhaps those people are even more blessed than I am. I will never know for certain if there really WASN'T a dog or cat walking along side this elderly gentleman. Maybe there was, and I am just too blind to see it.

Just like it is very easy to look up at the night sky and assume nothing is there. How can that be? A sky full of stars and other objects glowing brightly against a dark veil certainly DOES have things up there. But people will look up and say "Nope! Nothing there. It's just a dark sky"! What? You certainly aren't looking at the same sky I am if you think there is nothing up  there! I can see millions of objects all staring me in the face!  >:(

And YES I DO think there are life forms up there. Just like I think MAYBE there might have been a dog and even a person (or angel) walking along side this man. Just because it doesn't jump out and say BOO at us doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So, as we walk and crawl across uneven surfaces, maybe we should stop and remember that other things do exist, and if we ask them for help from time to time they might even answer our call.

And remember, angels are a part of Christmas! The sky is full of them. If you look hard enough you might even see one for yourself!  :D

I'm a firm believer in angels, David. And I know I have my own personal guardian angels who look after me. I know for sure that one is my Dad. He is a very powerful, protective force and is always close to me.

On the subject of reality and what we perceive reality to be, I remember something my Mum once said to me. Mum said that there are two kinds of people in a nursing home. The first kind are those who are in full command of their faculties, are fully aware that they are stuck in a nursing home, and hatefully resent the fact. The second kind are those who are "off with the fairies" (Mum's expression) and are blissfully unaware of their situation. Mum added that if ever she finds herself in a nursing home, she hoped she would be in the latter category. Thankfully, that was never to be.

Re extraterrestrial life, IMHO I consider it the height of arrogance to contend that tiny, insignificant little Earth is the only speck in all Infinity with life on it. I'm with you, David. We are not alone!  :D 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2099 on: November 13, 2007, 09:17:14 am »

Is that your dog in my fridge again, David?!!!  >:(   ;)   :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν