Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2149369 times)

injest

Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #2320 on: January 09, 2008, 02:12:12 am »
Now isn't the Elephant and Castle in London? My boyfriend is from London and I THINK I remember hearing him talk about the Elephant. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Anyway, IF it is in London Susie, I was thinking of something between me and you. Maybe like meeting in Northampton or Bedford - someplace in between London and Nottingham. Unless you wished to drive all the way to London, and then we could spend the rest of the day doing some VERY serious shopping! :D

I'll come if youre buying!!  ;D ;D

Dagi

« Reply #2321 on: January 09, 2008, 03:38:18 am »
{{{{{{{David}}}}}}}

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2322 on: January 10, 2008, 12:15:19 am »
Aww  Sorry to hear that you're separated from your boyfriend, David.  I must have missed something.  Why did he go to England without you?  Something to do with his job?

Hugs,
Gary

Hi Gary! Alex lives in England. He lives in London and it was time for him to go back home. He'll be back in a couple of months, but that sounds like an awfully long time to me right now!

{{{{{{{David}}}}}}}

Thanks for your hug Dagi!!!  :-*  :-*

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2323 on: January 10, 2008, 02:44:51 am »

Just checking in to see how your doing David.......?  Giving you a big hug, and
telling you I am still thinking of you.... (((((((((hugs++++))))))))))      :-* :-*

Beautiful mind

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2324 on: January 10, 2008, 06:26:48 pm »
Elephant and Castle is in London. There may be others but the one in London is near the Oval.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2325 on: January 11, 2008, 01:01:05 am »
Elephant and Castle is in London. There may be others but the one in London is near the Oval.

I thought it was! For some reason I remember Alex talking about it once or twice. I have no idea what we were talking about at the time though. London probably. :-\

Thanks Jack!! :)

Just checking in to see how your doing David.......?  Giving you a big hug, and
telling you I am still thinking of you.... (((((((((hugs++++))))))))))      :-* :-*

Aww! Thank You Janice!!! I could use some big hugs right now. I spoke with Alex today, but when I called his Mom answered the phone. She is sooooo nice!! Anyway, Alex is up visiting his family in Newcastle for a few days and she told me he's been sulking around the house and acting very depressed. This is the part that really upsets me. I can't bear to think of Alex like that. So we spent most of our time today trying to cheer each other up.

London is a nice place to live.  I'd love to live there.  But how sad that you guys have to be apart.  How long have you two been together, if you don't mind me asking?  Isn't there any way for you to move to London?  Or for Alex to move here?  Do they have civil unions in England?  And if so, would Alex be able to make you his legal partner, and by doing that would that give you a right to live and work in England?  Maybe I'm hoping for too much. 

Hugs,
Gary

Hi Gary!

I'd love to move to London, but my Dad is suffering from Parkinson's disease and I spend much of my spare time at his house caring for him. He still gets around pretty well, but he's having trouble getting up and down from his chair and his shaking is getting worse. The sad part is, he won't get any better. I can't move right now, especially overseas to England. I refuse to leave him alone. If I moved he would be forced to go into a nursing home at some point and I won't have it. Not my Dad. No way. Alex understands this. So for now, the only other option is for Alex to move to the US. He's been considering it, and I think he might just do it too. It would be a huge change for him, but he's been to Indianapolis several times now. He's familiar with the city, and he has many friends here. All my friends love him. Maybe after one or two more visits here he will decide to make the move. I'm not pressuring him. I want this to be HIS decision. :)

injest

« Reply #2326 on: January 11, 2008, 01:06:33 am »
I can't imagine he would have TOO hard a time making that decision! I would move for you!

(cause you is a sweetheart!!)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2327 on: January 11, 2008, 01:18:05 am »
I can't imagine he would have TOO hard a time making that decision! I would move for you!

(cause you is a sweetheart!!)

You a sweetheart too Jess!  :-*

I realize I'm not the only one facing a long distance relationship. Many people have a partner living in another country. And lots of people have a partner living on the opposite side of the country. I started thinking about something. Can you imagine how bad it would be to have a partner that lives on another planet?!!  :o  Someday people will probably be faced with this scenario, once we are able to travel to distant planets. I can just hear it now:

"My boyfriend lives 50 light years away from me!"

"Is that all? MY boyfriend lives 50 million light years away!"

It may sound ridiculous, but it will probably happen someday. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but.....

I had a really strange dream a couple of nights before Alex returned to England. I dreamt I was riding my bike around the neighborhood, and when I turned the corner there was a sign that said "Welcome To England". I remember thinking "Wow, I didn't realize England was so close" and I rode my bike on in there. The weird part is Alex wasn't in the dream. I'm not even sure if I went in there to look for him. I just remember being surpirsed to see the English border right there in my neighborhood! :laugh:

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2328 on: January 11, 2008, 01:30:14 am »
David, I don't know you well but your posts have really brought me up short. I'm going to talk about my own experience , and I hope you sit down and really think about what you and he are doing...

Alex  really needs to understand all the ramifications David. Indianapolis is not London. When it comes to cultural activities etc, if Alex is used to the British Capital he will find any midwestern American city a boring blah shock.

I had been to Denver many many times, for extended periods. Yet--in retrospect--all those trips had a FOCUS. The focus was Nicholas, being a father to Nicholas, just BEING in the same house with a growing boy. The focus  wasn't Katrina, wasn't me: it was Nicholas.

Now, I moved to Denver because that is where Katrina and Nicholas live. Figured it would be ok, even though I've never cared for either Denver OR Colorado on their own merits. The reality was and is jarring. Nicholas now lives in his own house. He is 22. Katrina and I are married and together and the focus is not him, it is US and suddenly location matters, matters a great deal. To me at least. She is a native, she loves the state. I am not a native, I have come to LOATHE the state. If we were in empty Wyoming I would be very happy with where we lived; a great many people think I am nuts saying that yet it is nothing but the truth of MY reality. Katrina would lose her mind in a place that empty.  If we were in a 'real' city I would also be very happy. To her Denver IS a real city, to me Denver is this deadly boring half-this-and-half-that, very blah overdeveloped smear on the landscape with no focus, no reason for existing  and no urban fabric whatsoever.

So yes, I moved here for love, David. I love my now-wife madly. NOBODY could or would love me the way she does. NOBODY.

I thought moving would not matter. Well, it does. My material circumstances have improved and I couldn't care less. I left a life's worth of attachments, friends, you name it. I make friends easily and yet find myself miserable half the time. It blew and blows me away: I detest this place to the point where I considered walking, and I not only love Katrina mad crazy but have never been loved so much in my whole life. Yet I wanted to walk. People say 'just move'---which would be much easier if the real estate market hadn't collapsed. We are going nowhere until we can sell this house---which has been a horror show from the day I moved to Denver, it was contaminated and took 60,000. to DEcontaminate and is still not put back together!!!  I think we will be here for at least 3-4 years and if I don't get my head on straight it will be a marital disaster. So I'm doing what I can to get my head on straight, as I do not want a disaster with a woman it took me 30 years to get. And I need to point out she is not the problem: the problem is ME and my lack of adjustment to Denver.

We would have been better off going to not New York, which is mine, and not Colorado, which is hers, but to someplace completely new which would be OURS.

If Alex moves to the US to be with you, you might consider that it's best to find a place which is YOURS, not Davids. Not Alex'. YOURS.

Anyway that's my 2 cents...
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2329 on: January 11, 2008, 03:43:29 am »

I'm not pressuring him. I want this to be HIS decision.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are such a sweet and understanding guy....I hope it wont be too long before you
can be together full time....OH HAPPY DAY!!!          :D

Beautiful mind