Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2149443 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #2840 on: June 26, 2008, 01:21:17 am »
The article says Junior was nearly 2 years old. Very young. My lab at that age was just getting over eating the house, so still puppyish.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2841 on: June 27, 2008, 07:06:29 pm »
This is old news now, but it's sometimes worth reflecting on certain issues...

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary (Berlin, Germany)

For Immediate Release June 2, 2000

GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE MONTH, 2000

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

Gay and lesbian Americans have made important and lasting contributions to our Nation in every field of endeavor. Too often, however, gays and lesbians face prejudice and discrimination; too many have had to hide or deny their sexual orientation in order to keep their jobs or to live safely in their communities.

In recent years, we have made some progress righting these wrongs. Since the Stonewall uprising in New York City more than 30 years ago, the gay and lesbian rights movement has united gays and lesbians, their families and friends, and all those committed to justice and equality in a crusade to outlaw discriminatory laws and practices and to protect gays and lesbians from prejudice and persecution.

I am proud of the part that my Administration has played to achieve these goals. Today, more openly gay and lesbian individuals serve in senior posts throughout the Federal Government than during any other Administration. To build on our progress, in 1998 I issued an Executive Order to prohibit discrimination in the Federal civilian workforce based on sexual orientation, and my Administration continues to fight for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would outlaw discrimination in the workplace based on sexual orientation.

Yet many challenges still lie before us. As we have learned from recent tragedies, prejudice against gays and lesbians can still erupt into acts of hatred and violence. I continue to call upon the Congress to pass meaningful hate crimes legislation to strengthen the Department of Justice's ability to prosecute hate crimes committed due to the victim's sexual orientation.

With each passing year the American people become more receptive to diversity and more open to those who are different from themselves. Our Nation is at last realizing that gays and lesbians must no longer be "strangers among friends," as the civil rights pioneer David Mixner once noted. Rather, we must finally recognize these Americans for what they are: our colleagues and neighbors, daughters and sons, sisters and brothers, friends and partners.

This June, recognizing the joys and sorrows that the gay and lesbian movement has witnessed and the work that remains to be done, we observe Gay and Lesbian Pride Month and celebrate the progress we have made in creating a society more inclusive and accepting of gays and lesbians. I hope that in this new millennium we will continue to break down the walls of fear and prejudice and work to build a bridge to understanding and tolerance, until gays and lesbians are afforded the same rights and responsibilities as all Americans.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, WILLIAM J. CLINTON, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2000 as Gay and Lesbian Pride Month. I encourage all Americans to observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities that celebrate our diversity and recognize the gay and lesbian Americans whose many and varied contributions have enriched our national life.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this second day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-fourth.

WILLIAM J. CLINTON

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Bush: No to 'Gay Pride Month'
President refuses to issue June proclamation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 15, 2004
1:00 am Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily.com

Homosexual activists are fuming over President Bush's refusal to declare June "Gay Pride Month."

Nevertheless, without official support, several groups of federal workers are still planning activities.

Leonard Hirsch, president of Federal GLOBE ? the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Federal Employee’s organization ? told the Washington Blade, a homosexual weekly, that events are scheduled at the departments of Transportation, State, Interior and the USDA, while other agencies have said they will not sanction events without White House approval.

"We have continued to be boxed in a Catch-22 because agencies are saying that they can't provide support or statements unless the White House puts forth a proclamation," he said. "And of course the White House has not."

During the Clinton administration, the annual day was supported with taxpayer dollars and government facilities.

Allison Nichol, president of the Department of Justice Gay Pride group, said she is "not at all confident" that her request for the department to sponsor a Pride event would be approved. Nichol said that last year, the FBI scheduled a Pride event but Attorney General John Ashcroft canceled it.

"Given what's happened in the last two years, one can hope that the attorney general recognizes that it is his job to represent the equal rights of all citizens," Hirsch said. "I was sanguine that they would make a different determination this year, and I look forward to being surprised."

Last year, Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., who strongly criticized Ashcroft and the Department of Justice's decision not to allow its employees to celebrate Gay Pride Month, scheduled an alternative celebration for federal employees at the Capitol.

Nichol said she was in discussion with officials to provide an alternative setting for her events and hinted that her group is considering legal action against the Justice Department.

Prior to 2003, taxpayers paid for overhead expenses, including use of the Great Hall, set-up and breakdown of microphones and added security costs because the event is held after hours.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2842 on: June 30, 2008, 07:21:25 am »
Happy Gay Pride Week!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2843 on: July 03, 2008, 07:58:57 pm »
Happy Fourth of July to you too Gary! Have fun and stay safe, okay? :D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2844 on: July 03, 2008, 10:06:27 pm »
Happy Fourth of July to you too Gary! Have fun and stay safe, okay? :D

Hey David!!
Hope you have a great holiday!!  :-*
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2845 on: July 04, 2008, 02:41:56 am »
Hey David!!
Hope you have a great holiday!!  :-*

{{{{RICHARD}}}}

I hope you have a very happy and safe Fourth of July!!! :D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2846 on: July 09, 2008, 10:24:26 pm »
No wonder I like John McCain!  :P  ;D

Also -- read to see what our own sweet David and Senator McCain have in common!!!

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/politics/article/poll_pet_owners_favor_john_mccain/13694/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #2847 on: July 09, 2008, 10:37:34 pm »
No wonder I like John McCain!  :P  ;D

Also -- read to see what our own sweet David and Senator McCain have in common!!!

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/politics/article/poll_pet_owners_favor_john_mccain/13694/

awwwww!! I am not telling and spoiling the surprise!!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2848 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:52 pm »
awwwww!! I am not telling and spoiling the surprise!!

;) Cute, huh?

I think David should switch sides just because of that connection!!  ;D :P 8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2849 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48:01 pm »
;) Cute, huh?

I think David should switch sides just because of that connection!!  ;D :P 8)

I heard about that on the news! :laugh:

Well, this is ONE pet owner who doesn't like him. I won't do it Shasta! No matter how many connections you intend to try and make! ;)