Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2149447 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #3190 on: November 25, 2008, 09:50:24 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Awww, look at the SHINE on his coat! He's a beautiful cat isn't he? :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3191 on: November 25, 2008, 10:02:18 pm »
From PoopEaters Anonymous. Hahaha

What about cat poop?? My dog cruises the cat box and eats what is in there!

Most dogs find cat "cookies" irresistible. It is very hard to deter a dog from eating cat poop, because, like eating any poop, it is self-rewarding behavior (the behavior itself is its reward). Cat litter boxes cannot be sprayed with bitter orange or anything like that, or the CAT will be discouraged from using it! In my household, I just position the cat boxes in places the dogs cannot reach. I use a covered litter pan in one area, which is a great deterrent for bigger dogs. In another area, I have the litter box blocked by a baby gate leaning against the doorway so only the cats can fit through (I have taught my dogs to respect the baby gates). A cat door to the basement can be used. Or a door can be kept open only a little, using some means to both keep it open and keep it closed enough so the dog can't get through.

One word of caution about dogs and cat stool. The new clumping litter can pose a health threat to dogs if they eat it. Think of what the litter does when urine is deposited in it. Similar things can happen in a dog's stomach if he eats enough of it.

With enough diligence, stool eating can often be eliminated. Unfortunately, many people would rather not spend the time that is needed.

http://www.dogtrainingbasics.com/Poop%20Eaters%20Anonymous.htm

Since WHEN is eating poop a "self rewarding behaviour"? :laugh:

:P :P

Sometimes I will clasp Cody's head between my hands and look at him in his eyes and TRY to figure out what is going on in that little doggy mind of his. What is he thinking when he does it? It can't possibly taste good, and if he was just a LITTLE bit smarter he would realize the error of his ways and not do it anymore. >:(

From PoopEaters Anonymous. Hahaha

What about cat poop?? My dog cruises the cat box and eats what is in there!

Most dogs find cat "cookies" irresistible. It is very hard to deter a dog from eating cat poop, because, like eating any poop, it is self-rewarding behavior (the behavior itself is its reward). Cat litter boxes cannot be sprayed with bitter orange or anything like that, or the CAT will be discouraged from using it! In my household, I just position the cat boxes in places the dogs cannot reach. I use a covered litter pan in one area, which is a great deterrent for bigger dogs. In another area, I have the litter box blocked by a baby gate leaning against the doorway so only the cats can fit through (I have taught my dogs to respect the baby gates). A cat door to the basement can be used. Or a door can be kept open only a little, using some means to both keep it open and keep it closed enough so the dog can't get through.

One word of caution about dogs and cat stool. The new clumping litter can pose a health threat to dogs if they eat it. Think of what the litter does when urine is deposited in it. Similar things can happen in a dog's stomach if he eats enough of it.

With enough diligence, stool eating can often be eliminated. Unfortunately, many people would rather not spend the time that is needed.

http://www.dogtrainingbasics.com/Poop%20Eaters%20Anonymous.htm

Yes. This is why I stopped using the automatic cat tray ("Litter Maid"). You must use the clumping litter or else the machine cannot sweep it up properly. Cody would sit there and wait it out until the cat was finished, so the litter maid wasn't really helping at all. Cody still got to the cat feces in plenty of time to eat it. And I didn't want him injesting the clumping cat litter so we are basically back to step one once again. I am using the cat tray with the hood, even though Cody knows how to pry it off. It was quite a feat getting Oreo to use it in the first place. He didn't like entering and exiting the tray through the hood for the first few days.

The idea of a baby gate in front of the door is a good idea. I may try it. Failing that, I will install the cat door and cut off the flap. The only thing that scares me about it though, is Cody may try to stick his head through it and then get stuck.

Damn animals!! >:(

:laugh:

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3192 on: November 26, 2008, 02:24:19 pm »

Ewww! Cat spray! YUCK!! :P

Man that really stinks when they do it. Oreo was neutered so he doesn't spray anymore. He tries sometimes, I suppose out of instinct, but nothing really happens THANK GOD!! :laugh:

You can always tell when it's getting ready to happen. They rub their rear end against something with their tail straight up in the air, like in Chuck's picture. :P

welll the thing is he has been nutered - but he still managed to spray!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3193 on: November 26, 2008, 02:33:32 pm »
welll the thing is he has been nutered - but he still managed to spray!!!

How old was your kitty when he was neutered, Kelda?

I've been told (tho I didn't check it out, so this could be wrong) that a cat has to be neutered before he matures and starts spraying or he will still be able to spray.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3194 on: November 26, 2008, 02:36:25 pm »
about 15 weeks. as i say hes never done it before and since ive never had a tomcat before I'm not sure if his attempt yesterday was entirely successful.. but he definietly sprayed at least a little bit!!!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3195 on: November 26, 2008, 02:42:12 pm »
about 15 weeks. as i say hes never done it before and since ive never had a tomcat before I'm not sure if his attempt yesterday was entirely successful.. but he definietly sprayed at least a little bit!!!

That's odd, isn't it? Had any other animal been around that day?

I don't have a lot of experience with male cats. Most of mine have been spayed females.

But I did have a beautiful gray Persian male--he was so big and sweet. But he died suddenly when he was 2 1/2 years old. He'd had all his shots. That was very sad.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3196 on: November 27, 2008, 12:53:52 pm »

Happy Thanksgiving David!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3197 on: November 27, 2008, 03:06:44 pm »
That's odd, isn't it? Had any other animal been around that day?

I don't have a lot of experience with male cats. Most of mine have been spayed females.

But I did have a beautiful gray Persian male--he was so big and sweet. But he died suddenly when he was 2 1/2 years old. He'd had all his shots. That was very sad.

Aww poor kitty :(

No idea about the cat, we certainly didnt see any other kittys.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3198 on: November 27, 2008, 04:04:24 pm »
Aww poor kitty :(

No idea about the cat, we certainly didnt see any other kittys.

That's when, on the rare occasion, Oreo will try to spray. When another cat comes into his territory. My friend Chad sometimes brings his cat over to my house. Sometimes Oreo will begin to back up against the furniture, stick his tail straight up in the air and rub. I think they do it to mark their territory. Since he's been neutered nothing really happens, but he still tries sometimes. And I don't like it when he does it. I don't want my cat rubbing his ass on my furniture. That's really nasty. :P

injest

« Reply #3199 on: November 27, 2008, 08:50:29 pm »
That's when, on the rare occasion, Oreo will try to spray. When another cat comes into his territory. My friend Chad sometimes brings his cat over to my house. Sometimes Oreo will begin to back up against the furniture, stick his tail straight up in the air and rub. I think they do it to mark their territory. Since he's been neutered nothing really happens, but he still tries sometimes. And I don't like it when he does it. I don't want my cat rubbing his ass on my furniture. That's really nasty. :P

ok warning...this post will make you gross out so if you don't want to know....if you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!! *typed in my best Jack Nicholson type*

then dont' read....just scrolll on by....

this is your last warning!!!

I really mean it!!

you still reading??

ok, male cats have a gland 'back there' that produces a scent ....THAT is what he is rubbing on your furniture....I bet when he sniffs the furniture afterwards he does that wrinkled face open mouth thing doesnt' he??

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: