Author Topic: "Somewhere in Time" 1980 film with parallels to BBM?  (Read 125557 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"Somewhere in Time" 1980 film with parallels to BBM?
« on: October 23, 2010, 11:51:28 pm »
Anyone remember the film "Somwhere in Time"?  Released back in 1980, it kinda bombed, but became a cult classic via a devoted fan base.

It's an over-the-top romantic story about impossible love.  Sound familiar?

Turns out, there is an organization called INSITE (International Network of Somewhere in Time Enthusiasts) who started a group, a quarterly publication, eventually a website, and an annual meeting at the location where their film was shot, Mackinac Island, Michigan.

I see numerous parallels to our own experience.  Perhaps it's worth exploring.

***Warning:  spoilers below***
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:40:09 pm by southendmd »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: The "Somewhere in Time" fan club--similarities to ours?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 11:56:44 pm »
I guess I was a moderate fan:  I actually saw the film in its initial release in 1980,  bought the soundtrack on LP (gorgeous music by John Barry), even had the piano sheet music for the theme. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:00:49 am »
Starring Christoper Reeve and Jane Seymour, "Somewhere in Time"  tells the story of a man who falls in love with a portrait of a woman, and wills himself to travel back in time from 1979 to 1912 in order to meet her. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:03:23 am »
Sounds preposterous, of course.  But, I think it there are parallels to our own beloved story, both in the story, the film-making, and the fans' reaction.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: "Somewhere in Time" film from 1980
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 12:12:56 am »
IMDb storyline:  Young writer Richard Collier is met on the opening night of his first play by an old lady who begs him to "Come back to me". Mystified, he tries to find out about her, and learns that she is a famous stage actress from the early 1900s, Elise McKenna. Becoming more and more obsessed with her, he manages, by self hypnosis, to travel back in time where he meets her. They fall in love, a matching that is not appreciated by her manager. Can their love outlast the immense problems caused by their "time" difference? And can Richard remain in a time that is not his?

Elise asks, "Is it you?"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:16:45 am »
The trailer:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwUy78ab4ns[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:22:59 am by southendmd »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 12:37:39 am »
The whole film is availble on youtube, in little ten-minute increments. 

I would like to propose some parallels to our own experience with BBM. 

~Based on a story, "Bid Time Return".
~The theme of a young man who finds love in an unusual circumstance.
~The love is against the norm of the time, and other characters actively discourage it.
~The lovers experience it as life-changing. 

~Christopher Reeve pursued this very different role, against advice, after doing "Superman", much as Heath pursued independent roles after "A Knight's Tale".
~Christopher Reeve, like Heath, died suddenly and young, shortening a promising career.

~Fans of the film organized themselves because of the beauty of the film, feeling a life-changing force that compelled them to further explore the film and its many meanings.

~Fans of "Somewhere inTime" meet regularly since 1990, at the site of the filming, in period dress, to celebrate the film and themselves.  In fact, both Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour have attended their festivities. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: "Somewhere in Time" 1980 film with parallels to BBM?
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:24 am »
There's even a sequence describing time travel, complete with a philosophy professor, right out of "Donnie Darko". 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 12:51:46 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upkHzM_9cHA&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 04:42:24 am »
It sounds intruiging, Paul.

I have to admit that, judging by the trailer and the plot, I normally probably wouldn't have considered it.

But what you tell about the fans and their activities, gives a whole other dimension to it. There must be something more to the film, at least for those hit by it. Sounds very familiar...

Without my own BBM experience, I would probably just have thought them lunatics ::) -- but, seriously, who am I to talk??  ;D

Maybe it's worth seeing, but I don't think I can take the risk of another blow like BBM.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre