Author Topic: "Somewhere in Time" 1980 film with parallels to BBM?  (Read 125541 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The "Somewhere in Time" fan club--similarities to ours?
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 03:59:50 pm »
I guess I was a moderate fan:  I actually saw the film in its initial release in 1980,  bought the soundtrack on LP (gorgeous music by John Barry), even had the piano sheet music for the theme. 

I saw it with my classmates at William and Mary--1980 was the year I went to grad school. I loved it, and I still have my copy on videotape, although I admit I haven't watched it in years. That was when I fell in love with Jane Seymour--and 30 ( :o ) years later I still consider her one of the world's most beautiful women.

As for the music, if I remember correctly, the love theme--or a major theme, anyway--is, or is based on, Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini."

What a lovely film.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Marge_Innavera

Re: "Somewhere in Time" 1980 film with parallels to BBM?
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 04:36:32 pm »
Anyone remember the film "Somwhere in Time"?  Released back in 1980, it kinda bombed, but became a cult classic via a devoted fan base.

It's an over-the-top romantic story about impossible love.  Sound familiar?

Turns out, there is an organization called INSITE (International Network of Somewhere in Time Enthusiats) who started a group, a quarterly publication, eventually a website, and an annual meeting at the location where their film was shot, Mackinac Island, Michigan.

I hadn't thought of that movie in years but like Jeff, I have a copy on video.  Now's the time to re-view it via Netflix.  Although I did see Superman, Christopher Reeve will always be associated with the movie in my mind.

Come to think of it, the old-fashioned watch would be the equivalent of the two shirts.  In the first scene, the elderly Elise McKenna gives him a pocket watch and then disappears into the crowd; he learns later that she died that same night.  While he's in 1912, he gives the watch to her, so the watch becomes a symbol of timelessness within time.

Part of Mackinac Island's tourist appeal is that cars are banned from the island. The hotel still has one dining room where diners are required to dress up for dinner:

A number of dining options are available, from the legendary Main Dining Room—which overlooks the Straits of Mackinac and where a coat and tie for gentlemen and dress or pantsuit for ladies is required after 6:30 p.m.—to the more casual The Gate House, The Jockey Club at the Grand Stand and Carleton’s Tea Store. A full breakfast, Grand Luncheon Buffet and five-course dinner are included daily as part of the Full American Plan.

http://www.grandhotel.com/

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 04:52:37 pm »
As for the music, if I remember correctly, the love theme--or a major theme, anyway--is, or is based on, Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini."

Actually "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini." is in the movie.  He hums the tune and she gets intrigued with it, later on having a music box made (a miniature of the hotel) that plays it.  It works perfectly with the rest of the score.

Offline fritzkep

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 06:07:52 pm »
Earl and I saw this movie when it first came out (we did go to movie theaters fairly often back then), and both loved it, especially the music. We've seen it a number of times since on the movie channels. I still like it very much, and find nearly everything that John Barry has written wonderful.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 07:44:31 pm »
Come to think of it, the old-fashioned watch would be the equivalent of the two shirts.  In the first scene, the elderly Elise McKenna gives him a pocket watch and then disappears into the crowd; he learns later that she died that same night.  While he's in 1912, he gives the watch to her, so the watch becomes a symbol of timelessness within time.

What a great thought, Marcia:  "timelessness within time".

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 08:01:28 pm »
Actually "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini." is in the movie.  He hums the tune and she gets intrigued with it, later on having a music box made (a miniature of the hotel) that plays it.  It works perfectly with the rest of the score.

I forgot about the music box, but I remember when Christopher Reeve catches site of a coin that's more "modern" than 1912.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »

What a lovely film.  :)

I went looking for my soundtrack; alas, it is still only on LP and the turntable (contemporary with the film, c. 1980) is packed away.  Thanks to youtube, here is Rachmaninoff himself playing Paganini.  Interestingly, it is a long piece, and the familiar bit from SIT is only one variation--number 18, the last. 

This is actually part 2.  The Somewhere in Time theme begins at 5:30.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFcWepKxZD8&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 07:47:24 pm »
Here's a lovely take on the SIT theme by a fellow named Maksim:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkKue_MEnkk[/youtube]

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 04:02:07 am »
I got the DVD delivered yesterday, but it may take a little while before I watch it.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 05:47:59 am »
WOW! Loved the film & this does bring back memories of the time
TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris