Author Topic: "Somewhere in Time" 1980 film with parallels to BBM?  (Read 125486 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: "Somewhere in Time" 1980 film with parallels to BBM?
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 03:49:16 pm »
I disagree...I think he definitely got to see the love!!

Well, you'll see what you want to see.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 09:08:53 pm »
Well, you'll see what you want to see.

As Ennis said, "Well, you'll go where you look." hehe
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 11:21:22 pm »
The question I proposed earlier and point I was trying to make was this:

Neither the CP character or the RQ character's wives / significant others / love lives, etc. were ever mentioned or even alluded to.  They were portrayed as watchers, rather than doers, when it came to love.  We are shown time and time again of their spying eyes.

and

Both of them knew some of their client / employee's history.  CP could obviously see that JS had beaus and pursuers, being such a strikingly beautiful woman, and had to fend them off before.  RQ knew JG from hiring him the previous year and also knew there'd been something other than sheepherding going on up there.

Thoughts?

Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 09:58:24 am »
The question I proposed earlier and point I was trying to make was this:

Neither the CP character or the RQ character's wives / significant others / love lives, etc. were ever mentioned or even alluded to.  They were portrayed as watchers, rather than doers, when it came to love.  We are shown time and time again of their spying eyes.

and

Both of them knew some of their client / employee's history.  CP could obviously see that JS had beaus and pursuers, being such a strikingly beautiful woman, and had to fend them off before.  RQ knew JG from hiring him the previous year and also knew there'd been something other than sheepherding going on up there.

Thoughts?

Yes, he did, but what he knew was going on up there was sex, not love. This is a culture that clearly draws a distinction between the two--and as a gay man whose been out a long time, I can certainly vouch for the fact that among gay men, the two, sex and love, don't necessarily go together (I'm sure straights can vouch for this, too, but I speak only from the life that I know). As for the culture, remember the old rancher who told Annie Proulx that he always sent his sheepherders off in pairs so they could "poke" one another if they got lonely? These are not people who even recognize the possibility of love between two men--even Ennis has trouble with that, apparently.

My memory of Christopher Plummer's character is of a controlling, possessive person. Jane Seymour was his "discovery," and her "career" was his creation. If she went off and gave up her career for love, he had a lot to lose. His purpose in life was solely invested in her career.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 10:32:32 am »
Question:  Is it possible that the Christopher Plummer character in SIT and the Randy Quaid character in BBM were jealous that they never had the kind of love that they got to observe?

My take on the Christopher Plummer character was that in some way he knew that this stranger represented something that would happen to cast a shadow over the rest of her life.  He was certainly controlling but he seemed to be mainly motivated by protectiveness and a kind of frustration over a deep-down knowledge that there was nothing he could do to prevent it.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 10:35:29 am »
Oh my goodness, Paul.  That pic is so lovely.  They just don't make women that exquisite anymore, do they?  I'd only count Vivien Leigh among Jane's ranks.  Oh, and my own mother, of course.

And those 1912 fashions were just perfect for her!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 12:03:14 pm »
And those 1912 fashions were just perfect for her!

Sure enough! Though Jane Seymour could wear anything from any period and make it look better!  :)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 01:07:47 pm »
My copy comes from Netflix Friday.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »
My copy comes from Netflix Friday.

You're in for a real treat.  :)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 01:48:22 pm »
Yes, he did, but what he knew was going on up there was sex, not love. This is a culture that clearly draws a distinction between the two--and as a gay man whose been out a long time, I can certainly vouch for the fact that among gay men, the two, sex and love, don't necessarily go together (I'm sure straights can vouch for this, too, but I speak only from the life that I know). As for the culture, remember the old rancher who told Annie Proulx that he always sent his sheepherders off in pairs so they could "poke" one another if they got lonely? These are not people who even recognize the possibility of love between two men--even Ennis has trouble with that, apparently.

Interesting points, Jeff.  I'm curious if other gay men on here would reiterate your distinctions?  I was especially intrigued by your last sentence above -- "recognize the possibility of love".    Which leads me to my next question, and I vaguely remember addressing this question before a few years ago on here somewhere.  We believe that Jack had sex with the sheepherder he was with up on the mountain during the spring before he met Ennis.  Are we to also believe that based on the story and the screenplay/film, that there's no remote possibility that Jack also could have loved THAT man, but just gave up quicker on HIM because it was potentially a first-time, flash-in-the-pan, you're-expected-to-be-this-way-with-your-raging-hormones-away-from-females kind of thing?  What if he'd never met Ennis?  (Eek, that possibility makes me sick to my stomach.)  Anyway, what if Jack had gone back to the mountain and been faced with the other guy instead of Ennis?  Could it THEN have finally become love through the passage of time, and the dedication it would have taken to return to the place of THEIR first meeting?  Or would it have just been another spring filled with random sex?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...